Thoughts on Manhattan LR vs LR Powerscore Bible? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
harvardlaw8

New

Thoughts on Manhattan LR vs LR Powerscore Bible?

Post by harvardlaw8 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Hey guys,

So after looking over my September LSAT...the reason I got a much lower than expected score was due to Logical Reasoning. I got a horrifying -24 combined on LR. Clearly, I need to focus on these before I retake in December. I went through the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible three times, however, I still do bad on it. I found their techniques very helpful but vague and not concise for Assumption, Justify, Flaw/Method/Parallel Reasoning questions. What does everyone think of Manhattan's LR? I am going to buy it to see if I can make better use of their techniques. The LR is the most crucial part of the LSAT, since it's literally half the test, and me doing so badly on it is not helping my score :( ....considering the fact that I literally KILLED the logic games.

Please give me your thoughts on Manhattan's techniques vs Powerscore's techniques. Thank you!

nlee10

Gold

Re: Thoughts on Manhattan LR vs LR Powerscore Bible?

Post by nlee10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:52 pm

harvardlaw8 wrote:Hey guys,

So after looking over my September LSAT...the reason I got a much lower than expected score was due to Logical Reasoning. I got a horrifying -24 combined on LR. Clearly, I need to focus on these before I retake in December. I went through the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible three times, however, I still do bad on it. I found their techniques very helpful but vague and not concise for Assumption, Justify, Flaw/Method/Parallel Reasoning questions. What does everyone think of Manhattan's LR? I am going to buy it to see if I can make better use of their techniques. The LR is the most crucial part of the LSAT, since it's literally half the test, and me doing so badly on it is not helping my score :( ....considering the fact that I literally KILLED the logic games.

Please give me your thoughts on Manhattan's techniques vs Powerscore's techniques. Thank you!
I highly recommend Manhattan LR over Powerscore. I went from where you are about now (24-26 wrong) to about (10-15 wrong) after going through Manhattan + Cambridge drilling.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:44 pm

I think Manhattan LR helped me much more than Powerscore LR. I also went through the Trainer and I strongly recommend it following Manhattan LR.

Most importantly though, get the Cabridge bundle and go through every question at least twice. For every question, whether you get it right or wrong, get to the point you completely understand the logic behind why the answers are right/wrong. I'm certain that drilling and correct review was the reason my score increased this Sept.

Oh, and use the Manhattan LR forums. Those helped a ton.

Good luck.

ltowns1

Silver

Post by ltowns1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:20 am

As I stated in a similar forum, I would start with Manhattan If I had to do it all over again. (I started with the bible). But I will say that I would not diacard it. I would read the Manhattan book, and then go back to powerscore. Once I knew the fundamentals that Manhattan teaches, It made powerscore seem easier to learn. I think the difficulty with powerscore is that it assumes you know basic things about arguments that we don't necessarily know (even though we probably should). I think that's why a lot of top prep scorers swear by the powerscore bible, because they already get those basic common level steps to forming an argument.

tfarunner

New

Post by tfarunner » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Where would you all say the cambridge packets for LR factor in? After Manhattan and powerscore (for the second time)?

lsat_hopeful

New

Post by lsat_hopeful » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:46 am

tfarunner wrote:Where would you all say the cambridge packets for LR factor in? After Manhattan and powerscore (for the second time)?
I would recommend doing the corresponding Cambridge packets after each chapter of the Manhattan book. Manhattan already provides drilling at the end of every chapter, but if you also do the Cambridge packets, you can really reinforce the skills you learn in the book.

Also, don't do the packets just to finish them - take your time to understand your approach to each question, as well as where you may be having trouble, not being as efficient, or can make any improvements in general in your approach.

Here's a relevant link from 7sage where the poster talks about ways to categorize your mistakes, which is very helpful in terms of figuring out your weaknesses so that you can tackle them and ultimately improve your score (take a look at the 2nd post on October 25th):
http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussio ... u-to-7sage

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”