December 2014 RE-takers Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
koala-fy

Silver

Re: December 2014 RE-takers Thread

Post by koala-fy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:00 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:So how is prepping going for all the retakers?
I'm ashamed to say I've been slacking majorly...it was my school's homecoming last weekend so I went to that and my boyfriend visited for a week, and so it was just hard to jump back in. I've started drilling from the Cambridge LR packets and I'm currently devising a general study plan. I'm planning on focusing on LR first because that's where I unexpectedly lost -11 in September (I was usually only missing -3 to -6 between the two sections). I don't want to neglect RC and LG though, so I'm trying to figure out a way to consistently work on those simultaneously.

How many PTs is everyone planning on doing before the December? I think I did a decent amount prior to September, and I personally think my focus should be more on drilling sections rather than full tests. Does that make sense? Somehow I think it should be more important for me to fix weak areas through drilling than take a million PTs, but maybe I'm completely wrong?

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:23 pm

I think I'm going to do 2-3 per week. I'm starting to wonder if less is more for me this time around. I've already seen PTs 36-72 twice at this point, so I think the best thing for me to do is to just redo the PTs/sections I had trouble with, then make sure to blind review. I know I should probably be drilling, but I really don't want to spend my money on the Cambridge packets, especially since I don't really have a problem getting questions right during practice. It's the test day pressure that always gets me. I've been debating changing up my approach to LR, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea, since there's only about a month left. Idk... I want to prep hard, but I also don't want to overdo it.

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Hey, gang. Going to be more active again; trying to implement an approach similar to Bill's much more review. I miss you guys.

justabitunusual

Silver

Post by justabitunusual » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:13 am

YeezusPiece wrote:I think I'm going to do 2-3 per week. I'm starting to wonder if less is more for me this time around. I've already seen PTs 36-72 twice at this point, so I think the best thing for me to do is to just redo the PTs/sections I had trouble with, then make sure to blind review. I know I should probably be drilling, but I really don't want to spend my money on the Cambridge packets, especially since I don't really have a problem getting questions right during practice. It's the test day pressure that always gets me. I've been debating changing up my approach to LR, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea, since there's only about a month left. Idk... I want to prep hard, but I also don't want to overdo it.
Have you ever researched "prevent Test anxiety" or how to cope with test anxiety? I did some searches for this before my take in June and implemented a few things that were relevant to me, and I remember being very calm and centered for that test

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:33 am

justabitunusual wrote:
YeezusPiece wrote:I think I'm going to do 2-3 per week. I'm starting to wonder if less is more for me this time around. I've already seen PTs 36-72 twice at this point, so I think the best thing for me to do is to just redo the PTs/sections I had trouble with, then make sure to blind review. I know I should probably be drilling, but I really don't want to spend my money on the Cambridge packets, especially since I don't really have a problem getting questions right during practice. It's the test day pressure that always gets me. I've been debating changing up my approach to LR, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea, since there's only about a month left. Idk... I want to prep hard, but I also don't want to overdo it.
Have you ever researched "prevent Test anxiety" or how to cope with test anxiety? I did some searches for this before my take in June and implemented a few things that were relevant to me, and I remember being very calm and centered for that test
No, but I should, thanks for the advice. I'm also considering beta blockers, but it sucks that I need a prescription.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justabitunusual

Silver

Post by justabitunusual » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:42 am

YeezusPiece wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:
No, but I should, thanks for the advice. I'm also considering beta blockers, but it sucks that I need a prescription.
Sure, no problem...another thing to think about trying that's not prescription is to use a drop or 2 of an essential oil on the inside of your wrist (either for calming/focusing, etc.) I would recommend lavender/rosemary or you could use one for clarity or whatever, and see if that helps you to focus your energy on the task at hand...

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:46 pm

did you all die?

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Haha still here, but have been a little ashamed to post anything since I've been getting lazy with my studying this week. Determined to make today my last day of slacking off and get my shit together with one month to go. I wish I knew what to do, in terms of studying. Since my PT average is so high, it's making me less inclined to drill. Pretty much all I've been doing for prep is a PT here and there with BR, along with LG drilling.

dasani13

Silver

Post by dasani13 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:13 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:Haha still here, but have been a little ashamed to post anything since I've been getting lazy with my studying this week. Determined to make today my last day of slacking off and get my shit together with one month to go. I wish I knew what to do, in terms of studying. Since my PT average is so high, it's making me less inclined to drill. Pretty much all I've been doing for prep is a PT here and there with BR, along with LG drilling.
I forgot to reply to your PM! I'll PM you as soon as I get to my laptop.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justabitunusual

Silver

Post by justabitunusual » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:20 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:have been a little ashamed to post anything since I've been getting lazy with my studying this week.
Yes, this!
YeezusPiece wrote:Since my PT average is so high, it's making me less inclined to drill.
I wish this was my excuse!!

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:10 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenTee

Silver

Post by GreenTee » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:32 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I've been spending a ton of time on doing full sections of RC just one passage after another trying to get it down. In September I really didn't "get it."

Looking back I also didn't do nearly enough full sections of LR. I did all the drills but I didn't spend enough time looking at the questions in context, in sets. Starting that now.

All this hard work will pay off.
You have an awesome attitude, MC. Your posts are consistently inspiring.

KanGaHru

Bronze

Post by KanGaHru » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:09 am

Just took June 2009 for the second time. First took it 3 months ago while studying for September. Anyways, I went -3 and got a 179 (definitely my highest ever). Pretty stoked even though its a retake. I also achieved my first -0 in RC ever, and I have taken every test and multiple tests twice. Lets goooo! :-)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:16 am

KanGaHru wrote:Just took June 2009 for the second time. First took it 3 months ago while studying for September. Anyways, I went -3 and got a 179 (definitely my highest ever). Pretty stoked even though its a retake. I also achieved my first -0 in RC ever, and I have taken every test and multiple tests twice. Lets goooo! :-)
Please keep posting things like this. I think the only thing that is gonna get me back on the LSAT wagon is a sense of competition. Even if it's only in my head.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KanGaHru

Bronze

Post by KanGaHru » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:36 am

IsThisForReal wrote:
KanGaHru wrote:Just took June 2009 for the second time. First took it 3 months ago while studying for September. Anyways, I went -3 and got a 179 (definitely my highest ever). Pretty stoked even though its a retake. I also achieved my first -0 in RC ever, and I have taken every test and multiple tests twice. Lets goooo! :-)
Please keep posting things like this. I think the only thing that is gonna get me back on the LSAT wagon is a sense of competition. Even if it's only in my head.
A competition within your head seems pretty unfair for me, but I accept your challenge! Seriously though, just never stop and especially never believe you have reached your limit. :-)

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:39 am

KanGaHru wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
A competition within your head seems pretty unfair for me, but I accept your challenge! Seriously though, just never stop and especially never believe you have reached your limit. :-)
It can be a real competition, but based on my Sept score I'm no where near you (169). I've just always been of the mindset that if someone else can do it, I can too.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KanGaHru

Bronze

Post by KanGaHru » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:44 am

IsThisForReal wrote:
KanGaHru wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
It can be a real competition, but based on my Sept score I'm no where near you (169). I've just always been of the mindset that if someone else can do it, I can too.
My September score was a 167, when I was averaging 172 on clean pts (nerves got me).......I started at an initial diag of 148.... YOU CAN DEFINITELY DO IT!

For those of you who feel stuck-
spent 2 months stuck at 163-166 (about 25 pts) studying every day
spent the next month and a half stuck at 167-169 (about 15 pts and lots of drilling)
spent the last 2 weeks in the low 170s (about 8 pts) before September
Last edited by KanGaHru on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:48 am

KanGaHru wrote:YOU CAN DEFINITELY DO IT!
Your so positive. I would say we should be study buddies if you were like an hour closer. (I'm 2 hours north of you.)

KanGaHru

Bronze

Post by KanGaHru » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:59 am

IsThisForReal wrote:
KanGaHru wrote:YOU CAN DEFINITELY DO IT!
Your so positive. I would say we should be study buddies if you were like an hour closer. (I'm 2 hours north of you.)
UF huh? And study buddies are great. Unfortunately, most people are not serious enough about this test. However, if you can find someone to practice test with then I feel it can be very helpful. I take a pt every Wednesday at UCF with a serious study partner. He averages about 160 and so I have found it very beneficial to actually go over all of his and my wrong answers and actually explain where many of his mistakes have stemmed from. I think this has really helped to solidify and speed up my own skills.

Teaching is the best way to learn imo

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:17 pm

sup bb's. how my retakerz doing?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:41 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbudz

New

Post by jbudz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:33 pm

How did you guys feel, second time around?

In September, I felt great coming out of it, thinking maybe even a 180 was possible. Turns out, adrenaline made me rush through questions too quickly, and I ended up with a 168, well below my recent PT average of 172-175.

This time, my PT scores beforehand were even higher (179, 178, and 178 in the two weeks prior). And this time I was intent on reading every answer choice.

Anxiety overcame me at times; I definitely missed the last question on the last logic games, and it was hard to move on from knowing I missed a question. Overall I felt pretty bad about the test coming out of it, but I couldn't trace the feeling to anything more than just that one missed LG question. I think this time the adrenaline and anxiety combined to make me black out large portions of the test.

So I would say now that my score could be anywhere between 160 and 180 -- insane considering how steady my PT scores have always been.

How was everyone else's experience?

The Avatar

Bronze

Post by The Avatar » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:32 pm

jbudz wrote:How did you guys feel, second time around?

In September, I felt great coming out of it, thinking maybe even a 180 was possible. Turns out, adrenaline made me rush through questions too quickly, and I ended up with a 168, well below my recent PT average of 172-175.

This time, my PT scores beforehand were even higher (179, 178, and 178 in the two weeks prior). And this time I was intent on reading every answer choice.

Anxiety overcame me at times; I definitely missed the last question on the last logic games, and it was hard to move on from knowing I missed a question. Overall I felt pretty bad about the test coming out of it, but I couldn't trace the feeling to anything more than just that one missed LG question. I think this time the adrenaline and anxiety combined to make me black out large portions of the test.

So I would say now that my score could be anywhere between 160 and 180 -- insane considering how steady my PT scores have always been.

How was everyone else's experience?
With the exception of one LR section, I found this test to be much harder than the one in September. Most people I know, including myself, could not finish the final game and had to guess on a couple questions. That never happens. Even in September I went -2. One LR section was difficult. RC was meh can never say how I did since it is so unpredictable. The other LR was quite easy. But overall test was difficult because it was so similar to September. I went in to redeem myself and found that I was looking at the same test!

IsThisForReal

Gold

Removed

Post by IsThisForReal » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:38 pm

top-law-schools.com

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”