Should someone retake if re-prep wasn't extensive. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RCSOB657

Gold

Should someone retake if re-prep wasn't extensive.

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:32 am

So this Saturday is another LSAT day. Is the general CR for people to skip the retest and either test later or go with first score, IF for whatever reason they did not study hard enough to feel confident on getting a much higher score?

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Should someone retake if re-prep wasn't extensive.

Post by Rigo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:03 am

RCSOB657 wrote:So this Saturday is another LSAT day. Is the general CR for people to skip the retest and either test later or go with first score, IF for whatever reason they did not study hard enough to feel confident on getting a much higher score?
Is your PT average higher than 153? If not, withdraw.
Are you capable of (sounds like you are) and willing to put in the time (for real this time) to score higher than your PT average? If so, then withdraw.

You can still withdraw today (Friday) without using one of your takes. After midnight, you're stuck with using the take.
IMHO, withdraw.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:11 am

Dirigo wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:So this Saturday is another LSAT day. Is the general CR for people to skip the retest and either test later or go with first score, IF for whatever reason they did not study hard enough to feel confident on getting a much higher score?
Is your PT average higher than 153? If not, withdraw.
Are you capable of (sounds like you are) and willing to put in the time (for real this time) to score higher than your PT average? If so, then withdraw.

You can still withdraw today (Friday) without using one of your takes. After midnight, you're stuck with using the take.
IMHO, withdraw.
Thanks, Dirigo.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:16 am

RCSOB657 wrote: Thanks, Dirigo.
No problem. I withdrew from a past LSAT because I knew I hadn't reached my full potential. There's no shame in taking it at a later date.
Good luck!

InPursuitOfaPassion

New

Post by InPursuitOfaPassion » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:51 pm

This is somewhat off-topic, but related so forgive me. But how does a person know when they're ready for the test. I thought I was ready yesterday, but anxiety completely destroyed my test-taking. How does a person know when they've reached a point where they not only have a sufficient handle on the content to hit a target score, but ALSO reached a point where they'll be calm for the test? Or is there no way of really knowing how calm you'll be and that's a bit of a gamble?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:01 pm

InPursuitOfaPassion wrote:This is somewhat off-topic, but related so forgive me. But how does a person know when they're ready for the test. I thought I was ready yesterday, but anxiety completely destroyed my test-taking. How does a person know when they've reached a point where they not only have a sufficient handle on the content to hit a target score, but ALSO reached a point where they'll be calm for the test? Or is there no way of really knowing how calm you'll be and that's a bit of a gamble?
They're ready when they're consistently PTing at or above their goal score.
As for the anxiety stuff, a little anxiety is inevitable and scoring 2-3 points less can be expected. However, it shouldn't be THAT detrimental (referring to some of your previous posts). Work on keeping a level head. Maybe cut down on the caffeine and/or getting as used to testing conditions as possible.
If you suffer from a lot of debilitating anxiety in general, talk to your doctor.

InPursuitOfaPassion

New

Post by InPursuitOfaPassion » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Dirigo wrote:
InPursuitOfaPassion wrote:This is somewhat off-topic, but related so forgive me. But how does a person know when they're ready for the test. I thought I was ready yesterday, but anxiety completely destroyed my test-taking. How does a person know when they've reached a point where they not only have a sufficient handle on the content to hit a target score, but ALSO reached a point where they'll be calm for the test? Or is there no way of really knowing how calm you'll be and that's a bit of a gamble?
They're ready when they're consistently PTing at or above their goal score.
As for the anxiety stuff, a little anxiety is inevitable and scoring 2-3 points less can be expected. However, it shouldn't be THAT detrimental (referring to some of your previous posts). Work on keeping a level head. Maybe cut down on the caffeine and/or getting as used to testing conditions as possible.
If you suffer from a lot of debilitating anxiety in general, talk to your doctor.
Thank you. That's helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”