Improving beyond 170 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Quick Silver

New

Improving beyond 170

Post by Quick Silver » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 pm

I ask this humbly because I've worked extremely hard to get here...

What are the key distinctions that take someone from 170 to high 170s?

Any ideas, and sections are welcome.

downbeat14

Silver

Re: Improving beyond 170

Post by downbeat14 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dontdoitkid

Bronze

Post by dontdoitkid » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 am

I can't saying what I'm doing, only what I'm trying to do since I'm in your boat, but:

Quick recognition of nearly every question type so I know certain things to look for

Being able to very quickly move through easy questions without getting any wrong (as was said above)

Ensuring that my focus is as high at the end of each section as it was in the beginning (pretty subjective, but that was an issue for more)

A big part that will guide you is this: When you go back and review your PT, are you finding that your mistakes stem from stupid errors, or from questions you legitimately could not figure out. Lately I've been able to go back and see that most of my mistakes were obvious in retrospect (for example - I answered what the two speakers have in common when it was asking what they were disagreeing about). If your issues are due to challenges, then it's a matter of drilling those until they are practically inherent. But if it is due to these constant "stupid mistakes" it's a matter of recognizing what happens in your brain when you make them, and teaching yourself not to. Sounds vague but that's what I've been working on right now.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:40 am

downbeat14 wrote:This is the tough part unfortunately. I can only tell you what helped me:

1. Be able to do the hardest games/passages/LRs without burning up the entire clock
2. Be able to do the easiest games/passages/LRs REALLY fast and not making foolish errors
3. Repeat, repeat, repeat; you want to get brutally consistent with your methods and timing strategies while still allowing for flexibility if something really hard comes up early or mid section
4. Reviewing and redoing all games/passages/LRs that were hard for you the first time so you know you won't repeat the same mistakes (I think this is what a lot of people fail to do, review is so crucial)

Hope this helps
This is all really solid. My only addition is that 1) it depends on whether your errors are evenly spread or mostly in one area and 2) if you're missing more than 1 question on LG then this should get a ton of attention.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”