From PT 55-72, which are most vital to take? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
john2018

New

From PT 55-72, which are most vital to take?

Post by john2018 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 pm

I have 11 more days (after today) of practice testing between now and the Sept test. I plan on taking 12 more practice tests. However, I'm taking prep test 54 today, and want to make sure I hit all of the "vital" tests between now and test day.

What would you guys recommend? Are there any particular tests that you think I should DEFINITELY hit? Or should I just go every other one so I finish on 72 (june 2014) the day before test day?

I definitely want to take the tests that a) are the most difficult, and b) introduce me to as many different things LSAT will throw my away that perhaps I haven't seen on the previous 54 tests. For example, is there a test with a particular game that is a must-do because of it's irregularity? Or a particularly difficult Reading Comp tests I should hit? Should I do all the June tests and skip all the December tests?

As always, advice much appreciated.

js1663

Bronze

Re: From PT 55-72, which are most vital to take?

Post by js1663 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:09 pm

I can't tell you which test to take, but I will say that, even if you have to cut down and only take 11 tests, you should still do the logic game sections from every test from 54-72. Meaning if you only do tests 60-72, sit down one day and complete the logic games from 55-60 without doing the rest. They really are the main part of a test that you may only see on that test and not any other. Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension for the most part play on the same type of flaws and tricks regardless of the test.

john2018

New

Post by john2018 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:27 pm

js1663 wrote:I can't tell you which test to take, but I will say that, even if you have to cut down and only take 11 tests, you should still do the logic game sections from every test from 54-72. Meaning if you only do tests 60-72, sit down one day and complete the logic games from 55-60 without doing the rest. They really are the main part of a test that you may only see on that test and not any other. Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension for the most part play on the same type of flaws and tricks regardless of the test.
Let me know if you disagree with my logic.

I consistently do LGs every day from PTs 1-54 (from tests I've already done) in addition to my practice tests. I'm consistently scoring -0 on LG now with anywhere from 3 minutes to 10 minutes to spare. I would love to take your advice, but it seems to me that, god forbid, if I have to re-take the test in December, I will want some number of recent tests to practice with. If I do the logic games in all of those tests but nothing else, won't that corrupt those tests for me? I won't have any recent "clean" tests to take. Or is this not a big deal, as they are the LG sections only?

In my opinion, logic games are much easier in the mid-late 2000s than they were in the 90s. Do logic games get more difficult between, say, 2008 and 2014? If the general consensus is that they don't, then I think I want to reserve some clean tests in case I have to re-take. Or is my logic off?

js1663

Bronze

Post by js1663 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:36 pm

I think we're both in the same boat here (both taking the test in September, both at the same score in LG, both feel like we're good there) and so take my advice as such - I think you should take every LG prior to the test, I think it will be beneficial to see them all and I don't think that seeing them will hurt the integrity of future tests. Your goal is to be as set for September as possible, which means you want to see every different type of LG out there. There are some that are known to be almost entirely unique but others just have one or two curveballs, and so by seeing and knowing every variation that they've come up with in the past, it'll help come test day. With that said, as far as ruining tests go, I can't speak for you but I think this probably applies to you too. I know when I do a logic game for the second, third, or fourth time, none of it's from memory. Yes, the setup and everything is easy because i've done the exact same one before, but I still have to remember how to set it up, read the instructions, do the steps, splits, etc, and so even in games i've already done once i still go through all the motions, and hopefully you do too. If so then I think that you will have an easier time the second time around, but that'll reflect your improved overall skills rather than just familiarity with the test, and I don't think it'll effect the integrity of your score (especially if you're consistently getting -0 anyways) to where the downside of 100% fresh tests outweighs the benefits of being fully prepared come September 27th.

Also, as far as getting more difficult, I personally think some of the newer games are as challenging as the older ones, though they are definitely better formatted and designed. But there are curveballs they throw out on some of the new ones that, should they include on this coming up test, knowing all the games would definitely help.

kevgogators

Bronze

Post by kevgogators » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:39 pm

john2018 wrote:
js1663 wrote:I can't tell you which test to take, but I will say that, even if you have to cut down and only take 11 tests, you should still do the logic game sections from every test from 54-72. Meaning if you only do tests 60-72, sit down one day and complete the logic games from 55-60 without doing the rest. They really are the main part of a test that you may only see on that test and not any other. Logical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension for the most part play on the same type of flaws and tricks regardless of the test.
Let me know if you disagree with my logic.

I consistently do LGs every day from PTs 1-54 (from tests I've already done) in addition to my practice tests. I'm consistently scoring -0 on LG now with anywhere from 3 minutes to 10 minutes to spare. I would love to take your advice, but it seems to me that, god forbid, if I have to re-take the test in December, I will want some number of recent tests to practice with. If I do the logic games in all of those tests but nothing else, won't that corrupt those tests for me? I won't have any recent "clean" tests to take. Or is this not a big deal, as they are the LG sections only?

In my opinion, logic games are much easier in the mid-late 2000s than they were in the 90s. Do logic games get more difficult between, say, 2008 and 2014? If the general consensus is that they don't, then I think I want to reserve some clean tests in case I have to re-take. Or is my logic off?

Honestly, do you believe that a month or so from now when the September score comes you'll remember all those games? Unless you have an amazing photographic memory I don't think you'd have an issue doing them now and worst case scenario erasing them and re-doing later. Shoot for no retake.

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:54 pm

Definitely try to use them all. Especially with LSAC's recent trend of using game types that have only shown up a few times or are from long ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”