PT scores after taking time away from the LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MattM

Bronze

PT scores after taking time away from the LSAT?

Post by MattM » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Hello,

I am considering taking the Dec '14 LSAT but strongly considering postponing the LSAT until after graduation to improve my GPA and focus solely on the LSAT after graduation....I think it will give me the strongest chance at a good cycle for the Fall 2016 entering class.

Has anyone delayed their LSAT and if so how long did it take to return back to your previous PT scores? I feel id rather focus on my GPA for now and start studying again in Feb or so for the Sept or Dec 2015 exam..

I'm know many have had to postpone due to work, family, school etc issues so i wanted to get your take on it

MattM

Bronze

Re: PT scores after taking time away from the LSAT?

Post by MattM » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:15 pm

My main concern is losing the hard work I have built up....I started in Feb at a 145 cold diag ( only 5 right on LG) and I was a 156 ish type scorer in June and later this summer got into the 160's .

My highest PT score is a 168 ....and while I have not taken too many full length tests I have often taken a section from a PT as a 35 minute timing section.

Based off the results of my most current work I can reach high 160's 170 with a boost in RC ( Logic games minus 2-4, have occasionally gotten minus 1 and 0, LR minus 2-5 per section although on a good day i can reach minus 3 for both sections combined, and RC is the weakest)

Would It take quite a while to regain the skills I have gained by waiting until Feb? I don't want forget everything and to be stuck in the 150's come June or so

dontdoitkid

Bronze

Post by dontdoitkid » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:41 pm

Nearly everyone here will attest to this, but you are doing nothing but good by postponing your decision to begin school by a year or two.

I took two years after undergrad (well, I'm in my second year off now), and it was a fantastic choice. Aside from the fact that I've retrospectively realized that I would have been completely ill prepared if I had gone to Law School straight from undergrad, I have also had time to question (and reaffirm) that this is what I want to do, and I have had an awesome two years living and working in Boston and figuring out who I am in a post-undergrad world.

In specific regards to your question - I wouldn't expect your scores to drop a ton, but they probably won't be the same either. Each time I've picked up and started studying again (I'm on my 3rd attempt) I pick things up quicker and retain inferences better. Coming back to the previous PT scores took a little while, but it was more about getting myself in the super analytical mindset that the LSAT requires more than relearning the information.

It's not like riding a bike, but it's not like learning a new language either.

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:39 am

Gotcha! Thanks!

So you definitely think its doable to catch back up pretty quickly and it would not take as long the first time around? I would plan on restarting my studies in Mid Feb or at the very latest at the beginning of June for a Sept 2015 exam

Next summer I won't be working to prepare for the exam given how large of a role in is in admissions/ my future so I feel pretty confident I can get 170....At a bare minimum even with school going on I still plan on working on LG as there is no reason to miss more than 2 or 3 with practice

MattM

Bronze

Post by MattM » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:43 am

as a side note did you take the 7sage and if so how did you like it ?

Id be interested in messaging you about the course to see if thats something I want to go for....it seems very reasonable compared to the $1,200 for the other courses and I could definitely make up the $500 in scholarship money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

el madrileno

New

Post by el madrileno » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:08 am

dontdoitkid wrote:Nearly everyone here will attest to this, but you are doing nothing but good by postponing your decision to begin school by a year or two.

I took two years after undergrad (well, I'm in my second year off now), and it was a fantastic choice. Aside from the fact that I've retrospectively realized that I would have been completely ill prepared if I had gone to Law School straight from undergrad, I have also had time to question (and reaffirm) that this is what I want to do, and I have had an awesome two years living and working in Boston and figuring out who I am in a post-undergrad world.

In specific regards to your question - I wouldn't expect your scores to drop a ton, but they probably won't be the same either. Each time I've picked up and started studying again (I'm on my 3rd attempt) I pick things up quicker and retain inferences better. Coming back to the previous PT scores took a little while, but it was more about getting myself in the super analytical mindset that the LSAT requires more than relearning the information.

This 100%. I'm on my third take this September. I diagnosed at a 15x, studied all summer and scored 15x in October. I graduated that December and just took PTs in January and scored mid/high-16x, which is what I was averaging. Even applying in March, I got into my top choice with roughly 40% tuition scholarship but decided to take the year to work and retake. My top choice has since changed and I've been PTing in the mid 170s. Retaking for 170 and t14 $$$ is worth a year or two of working and figuring things out.

I have made large gains mostly after taking time off. If you do take time off from studying, enjoy a bunch of novels and read science journals or other difficult material to keep your mind ripe for RC domination.

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:45 am

MattM wrote:as a side note did you take the 7sage and if so how did you like it ?

Id be interested in messaging you about the course to see if thats something I want to go for....it seems very reasonable compared to the $1,200 for the other courses and I could definitely make up the $500 in scholarship money.
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I'll chime in and say it's worth it. JY's LG methods are hands down the best, and their explanations of LR questions help as well. I can't speak for the RC, since I have my own way of doing it, but if you're looking to take a course, I'd save the money and go 7sage. And going back to LSAT studying after a break won't hurt if you already have a good foundation. It might take a day or two of drilling to get your LG to where it used to be, but I didn't notice much drop off, if any in my LR and RC. Granted, I only took 1.5 months off between the June test and studying again for September.

dontdoitkid

Bronze

Post by dontdoitkid » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:54 pm

el madrileno wrote:
dontdoitkid wrote:Nearly everyone here will attest to this, but you are doing nothing but good by postponing your decision to begin school by a year or two.

This 100%. I'm on my third take this September. I diagnosed at a 15x, studied all summer and scored 15x in October. I graduated that December and just took PTs in January and scored mid/high-16x, which is what I was averaging. Even applying in March, I got into my top choice with roughly 40% tuition scholarship but decided to take the year to work and retake. My top choice has since changed and I've been PTing in the mid 170s. Retaking for 170 and t14 $$$ is worth a year or two of working and figuring things out.

I have made large gains mostly after taking time off. If you do take time off from studying, enjoy a bunch of novels and read science journals or other difficult material to keep your mind ripe for RC domination.
I definitely have a lot of respect for anyone that comes that far and reassesses. Most people wouldn't have the patience to do that.

dontdoitkid

Bronze

Post by dontdoitkid » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:04 pm

MattM wrote:as a side note did you take the 7sage and if so how did you like it ?

I absolutely loved it. Some pros to taking the course:

1. It's very structured like an actual in person course. You'll have a "syllabus" (or at least a roadmap) and a clearly defined way to progress.
2. The staff there is entertaining and keeps you engaged as they are pretty down to earth (although the young upper 20s LSAT instructor is looking more and more like a staple of all of these courses in my opinion).
3. It works you through everything and takes something like 130 hours to complete iirc.
4. On its face it's very much a one direction in that you watch videos and there isn't person to person contact (unless you want to pay for tutoring through the site). However, as long as you show initiative and a little bit of familiarity with forum usage (which I'm assuming you do given that you're a TLS poster), you can ask questions about anything and be given great responses. I even met a study partner through the 7sage forums who I studied for four months, she actually was the one that introduced me to my girlfriend so I guess I have that to thank too haha.

Some cons:

1. It can be very difficult for a lot of people to stay in a state of "active attention" for an extended period of time. This means not just watching the videos and doing problems, but keeping a dialogue running through your head. It also means constantly reassessing and not letting yourself get too comfortable with doing well (because you can fall into the "got this correct, move on!" phase.
2. Only comes with a limited amount of PTs
3. Doesn't have complete LR and RC explanations, although Graeme (who used to work for 7sage and has done an awesome job running the LSAT subreddit) has an incredible new project that has a lot of the more recent explanations, accessible here http://lsathacks.com/ and there are plenty of other places that you can find good explanations.

At the end of the day, I don't think there's any "magical course" that's going to develop you into a magical 180 machine. But courses have many different approaches, different attitudes, and different environments, and at the end of the day you'll get the best benefit from picking one that is closely aligned with your personal learning style. They do have a free trial so I would check that out to start.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”