Thinking about postponing. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LSATgotrocked

New

Thinking about postponing.

Post by LSATgotrocked » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Hey everybody,

Long time lurker over here.

Been studying for the LSAT since beginning of May. I first started by learning Logic games from Manhattan/Powerscore. Got myself to consistent -0 with occasional -2/-3 on really hard sections . Drilled PT 1-40 LG Cambridge. Then went on to Logical reasoning Manhattan/Powerscore and have worked my way to an average of -5 on each section (used to be way worse) after drilling Cambridge PT 1-40. Then began drilling RC PT 1-40 and am usually -7/-8 on average. My accuracy on RC is amazing but my speed is off and that is why I miss those questions. My LSAT PT average is a 162 (all PT under real timing conditions and experimentals). My highest PT was a 168 and my lowest was this past Friday a disappointing 157. These PTs all range from 41-72.

I never took a diagnostic as I didn't really care what my score would be without any logic training.

My GPA is a 3.8. I am taking one class this semester. I am highly considering postponing for December 2014 LSAT instead of taking the September 2014 LSAT that I am already registered for. My goal is to score a 167/168 so that I could at least be competitive at some of the lower T14s. After scoring a 157 on PT 63 (last Friday) I was really shocked. Any thoughts as to whether or not this would be a good idea? I don't mind waiting out this cycle and applying next cycle as I don't graduate until after the Winter 2015 semester and haven't even worked on a personal statement yet. All of my letters of recs are in though and my transcripts too.

Here are my questions:

1.) Beneficial to postpone? I could definitely see myself increasing my PT average if I have the extra 2-3 months.
2.) Will law schools see that I postponed?
3.) Is it easy to do this online on LSAC website?

My point here is that if I get a 162 on the LSAT I am pretty sure that I will want to retake it. Why go in and sit for it if I already feel that this is highly likely? I would much rather wait and take in December and just want to see what others think.

Please give me some thoughts. Thanks!!!!!

LSATgotrocked

New

Re: Thinking about postponing.

Post by LSATgotrocked » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Bump.

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Not a bad idea to postpone. And no, I'm pretty sure law schools can't see if you did or not, though idk why it would matter even if they could.

Louis1127

Silver

Post by Louis1127 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:03 am

yes it' really easy to postpone, the hardest part is finding 80 dollars, but once you have that it takes like 15 seconds. if i can do it, you can do it.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:13 am

The only negative is money. If you aren't ready then you aren't ready. They will not see if you postponed, it is different than a cancel in that regard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gatesome

Bronze

Post by gatesome » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:10 am

didn't read your thread (except title)

postpone if you don't feel ready
don't postpose if you feel ready

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:16 pm

I would say go for it while your fresh, hungry, and ready to do battle.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:42 am

postpone

1) sudden variations in your score means you're counting on luck of the draw; you're not ready
2) if you haven't taken already, best to take when you're ready and not have a poor score on record (could matter at hys)
3) you might regret burning through a take, esp when you want that last bite at the apple to eke out more scholly $ or get off a wl
4) giving yourself time to max out your score and then applying bright and early next time puts you in the best position admissions-wise

santoki

Silver

Post by santoki » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:07 pm

Brut wrote:postpone

1) sudden variations in your score means you're counting on luck of the draw; you're not ready
2) if you haven't taken already, best to take when you're ready and not have a poor score on record (could matter at hys)
3) you might regret burning through a take, esp when you want that last bite at the apple to eke out more scholly $ or get off a wl
4) giving yourself time to max out your score and then applying bright and early next time puts you in the best position admissions-wise
if taking the exam in december, would you not apply this cycle because it isnt "bright and early" in the cycle?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BP Robert

Bronze

Post by BP Robert » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Well folks, today, at 11:59PM EDT, comes the official deadline to change your LSAT test date if you’re registered for the September LSAT.

That’s much less of a deadline than it might seem, though, and here’s why: After today, you can still withdraw your LSAT registration; the deadline for that is the night before the September LSAT. At least on the LSAT, the withdrawal method is perfectly safe and effective. If you withdraw your LSAT registration, law schools will never know you were registered. No sweat. And yes, it is easy enough to do on LSAC.

Basically the difference between changing your LSAT test date and withdrawing your LSAT registration is MONEY. Changing your test date costs $85.
Withdrawing costs nothing, but you’ll have to pay the full $170 to register for a subsequent LSAT. That’s a difference of $85.

Therefore, the decision you have to make today isn’t “Will I definitely be ready for the September LSAT?” but “Am I willing to bet $85 on the September LSAT?” If you’re on the fence as to whether to stay registered for September, the upside of staying registered is that if things go right, you can be done with the LSAT forever in three weeks. The downside is that if you end up deciding you’re not ready, changing LSAT test dates will cost an extra $85 after today. A bummer, but relatively inconsequential in comparison with your massive law school journey and even more massiver debt statements.

If you’ve been practicing, you’ve been on track for the September LSAT, but you’re starting to get cold feet, then take a chance on yourself and stay registered. No one likes to lose $85, but it’s not very much compared to what you’re going to spend on law school over the next few years. The potential payoff is too good to pass up: you’ll be done with the LSAT and you’ll be able to get your applications in early.

Best luck.

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:21 pm

It costs 85 bucks to change the date, wtf lsac

BP Robert

Bronze

Post by BP Robert » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:08 pm

hashtag potential there^

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm thinking of doing the same. My only concern is if I apply after dec is it considered late?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BP Robert

Bronze

Post by BP Robert » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:25 pm

There's no technical distinction as to what is "late," but of course under a rolling admissions process it behooves you to get your app in early. With that being said, if you take the Dec test and have all your other materials (transcripts, LOR, PS, etc) ready when your score arrives, you'll be just fine.

More than 50% of applications are received after the start of the new year.

alphagirljhan

New

Post by alphagirljhan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:02 am

If I have letter of recs already in, and then I decide to apply next cycle instead of this one,
do I still have to get another letters or are the letters that I currently have could be used?

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:21 am

alphagirljhan wrote:If I have letter of recs already in, and then I decide to apply next cycle instead of this one,
do I still have to get another letters or are the letters that I currently have could be used?
I'm using letters from 2 years ago bro, no one cares except maybe HYS

Arad

Bronze

Post by Arad » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:29 am

Assuming you intend on applying this cycle, no questions asked and have yet to take the LSAT and are not aiming for HYS, I think it's in your best interest to take the exam in Sept, and continue studying for December. Sitting through an actual LSAT is nerve wrecking. I took June 2014 and almost had a panic attack while the proctor was reading the rules. Although I did not score what I would have liked to, or what I was capable of, I am happy I took the exam because I now know what to expect and I have a decent score already secured that will ensure acceptance to top regional school, and maybe a few lower top 20s. There are a lot of factors you don't account for in your prep that occur on the real LSAT, such as signing in, sitting around for 30 minutes and then listening to rules for another 30 minutes.

A lot of people recommend postponing til you are ready but if schools only take your highest score, then it really makes no difference.

If you are not gung-ho on applying for this cycle, I would be a little more strategic. Maybe December, Feb, June. Or December June Sept. Assuming of course that your December exam does not go as well as you would like

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”