PT 56.2.3 Acme Corporation offers... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
evolution

New

PT 56.2.3 Acme Corporation offers...

Post by evolution » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:21 pm

So Ms. Garon started from the bottom with no special skills and worked her way up to the top. Then the conclusion states that Acme offers unskilled workers excellent opportunities for advancement.

I chose (D) while doing this timed, but untimed, I realized (B) is correct, but still had difficulty convincing myself that (D) is wrong.

If (D) is true, and she took MORE than 20 years to become president, doesn't this show that Acme may not of had as excellent opportunities to excel as they thought they did? The word 'more' threw me off because the author could of easily said it took her exactly 20 years, or less than 20 years, which would either have no effect on the conclusion, or strengthen it slightly.
But since they decided to include the word 'more', it seems like they're trying to get us to think that if opportunities for advancement were in fact excellent, it should of taken Garon less than 20 years to excel.

Can anyone explain why (D) is incorrect?

BP Robert

Bronze

Re: PT 56.2.3 Acme Corporation offers...

Post by BP Robert » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Think about it in terms of the "Partner Track" at a big law firm. Imagine the firms says: "We have excellent opportunities for advancement. Our named partner here, for instance, started out answering telephones."

You may later learn that this named partner worked for circa 20 years before attaining her current position, but that would not undermine the original claim that "We have excellent opportunities for advancement." 20 years sounds pretty reasonable to go from assembly worker all the way to President, or receptionist all the way to named partner.

D would be a better answer choice if Ms Garon had started out as an assembly line worker, and had only recently been appointed to a shift-supervisor. But since she has risen to the rank of president, the fact that it took her 20 years to do so does not undermine the "excellent opportunities for advancement claim."

B, as you've noted, is the correct answer because it indicates that the whole "started from the bottom" trope is just a ruse. Really they're hiring high-caliber personnel and just having them work for a bit in the unskilled arena.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”