Estimate need of money for prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
CeRePa

New

Estimate need of money for prep

Post by CeRePa » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Hey everyone, I was wondering how much money I should save for lsat prep and eventually law school applications. Starting junior year of undergrad next month and will have a part time job as well. Looking to start studying in May and hopefully be prepared to take the following Fall.

hillz

Silver

Re: Estimate need of money for prep

Post by hillz » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:34 pm

I think it depends on how you decide to study, but in my case, I estimate that I have spent ~270/$300 on materials (including LG Bible, LR Bible, Cambridge LR and LG packets, and 40-50 PTs).

Blythe17

New

Post by Blythe17 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:20 am

I spent around $450 on books, PTs, a watch, and 5-hr energies (probably more than the average self-studier, I know). I bought all of the powerscore books and later all of the manhattan books to increase my score ceiling. But If you know someone who's already bought the books (or ebooks) you could spend $50 on PTs and be well prepared.

As for application fees, ugh--I don't even want to think about that... I'm looking to spend at least $500, applying to ~13 schools. I heard that the LSAC fee for sending apps to each school increased this cycle, unfortunately. If you have an LSAC fee waiver, however, it's a different story.

deebanger

Bronze

Post by deebanger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:48 am

Blythe17 wrote:I spent around $450 on books, PTs, a watch, and 5-hr energies (probably more than the average self-studier, I know). I bought all of the powerscore books and later all of the manhattan books to increase my score ceiling. But If you know someone who's already bought the books (or ebooks) you could spend $50 on PTs and be well prepared.

As for application fees, ugh--I don't even want to think about that... I'm looking to spend at least $500, applying to ~13 schools. I heard that the LSAC fee for sending apps to each school increased this cycle, unfortunately. If you have an LSAC fee waiver, however, it's a different story.
who told u its increasing, the app fee?

Blythe17

New

Post by Blythe17 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:55 am

deebanger wrote:
Blythe17 wrote:I spent around $450 on books, PTs, a watch, and 5-hr energies (probably more than the average self-studier, I know). I bought all of the powerscore books and later all of the manhattan books to increase my score ceiling. But If you know someone who's already bought the books (or ebooks) you could spend $50 on PTs and be well prepared.

who told u its increasing, the app fee?
I read it on somewhere a TLS forum which I can't find now. But I believe the Law School Report fee was $21 since 2012 (and $16 before that: http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/153 ... eport-fees) and before this cycle, but now it is $28: http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/lsat-cas-fees. I know it's not a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but for me a $7 increase per apps going to run ~$100.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jasper09

Bronze

Post by jasper09 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:41 pm

As others have indicated, the total cost is a function of how you intend to prep, the number of schools to which you are applying, how well you score (to determine whether you receive an application fee waiver or not, plus schools that don't offer waivers unless it's need-based), etc. All in all, I spent probably around $1200 between prep and applications (which is, in my opinion, exorbitant, but peanuts compared to law school debt). That includes books (the three PowerScore Bibles, LR QTT, LG QTT, LSAT PrepTest books (both the 10 Actual, Official types and the individual tests that had not yet been packaged into a convenient 10-pack)), an online LR course, a watch, the CAS fee, the per-application LSAC fee, and the two application fees for schools to which I did not receive a waiver. You can absolutely get away with less...I just became paranoid when I decided to retake the darn test.

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”