Reading Comp Strategies Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MattM

Bronze

Reading Comp Strategies

Post by MattM » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Hello,

From a time management standpoint how much time relative to the other two sections would you spend studying on Reading Comp?…Like many students I have found that reading comp is the hardest to make improvements in that score compared to the other two….Logic Games is the easiest to see improvements in my opinion since the games are so foreign when you take a diagnostic exam that as you prep, its likely your score will be much improved from where you started….I have also seen an improvement in my LR across time as well, but RC has been the hardest to make gains in.

I'm getting about 17-19 right as a rough estimate so there is still time for me to improve for sure….but on the other hand the LSAT is about how many total questions you get right on test day, so I want to spend my time effectively to maximize my total score on test day….I don't want to neglect RC but focus on the areas where overall Improvements maybe easier.

Also would you recommend doing the other questions in the set before attacking the main point question?…..I may try doing so because I feel that may be easier to understand the main point after answering the other questions first that I may have a better grasp of the main point….Ill try that and see if that helps.

Thanks!

berkeleynick

New

Re: Reading Comp Strategies

Post by berkeleynick » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:13 pm

It just depends on how much improvement you need. I think unlike the other sections which kind of teach you key principles and strategies to tackle a particular bundle of different types of problems that you'll see over and over again, RC is dependent on a general approach and strategy and each passage. I think you need to understand what you're looking for and adapt to each RC section. I don't think practicing helps in the sense that you're getting better at RC with repetition (like logic games or even most LR questions which generally have a very predictable framework) but instead helps in that you learn how to really apply the general approach the more times you ingrain it into your head. For example, I've found that I perform better on a RC section of a PT if I reviewed my key notes on RC strategy right before the exam (like the different answer flaws like "out of scope," "too broad," "contradictory," etc.). HTH.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”