Should I retake in September or December? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Law1491

Bronze

Should I retake in September or December?

Post by Law1491 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Hello, everybody. What is your opinion on the LSAT score and the timing? I got 165 on June test, will be applying this fall. Is it better to have 169 in September or 172-174 in December? I would like to get 170+, but am not sure that I can do it on September test.

So, what do you think? Thanks

downbeat14

Silver

Re: Should I retake in September or December?

Post by downbeat14 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:00 pm

Law1491 wrote:Hello, everybody. What is your opinion on the LSAT score and the timing? I got 165 on June test, will be applying this fall. Is it better to have 169 in September or 172-174 in December? I would like to get 170+, but am not sure that I can do it on September test.

So, what do you think? Thanks
Just my very general opinion because I don't know you personally and what you are capable of, but I think if you have a 170+ in you, September is plenty of time given that you starting point is a 165 on a tough June LSAT. If you can't do it by then (you still have a lot of time), it may be that the extra time won't make any difference. May be a harsh way to put it, but the facts are that close to 98% of test-takers just won't ever make it there because of nerves, stamina, or whatever. Seems like you will have a good shot given your starting point, but there is never a guarantee even on the December timeline. I would say buckle down and crush September!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:41 pm

why not both?

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:43 pm

If taking in December actually means the difference between 169 and 172-174, then you should definitely take in December. However, if you are sufficiently diligent over the next three months, I suspect you can reach your potential by September 27 (or whenever the fall test is this year). Thus, my advice to you is to aim for September and only do December if you don't feel prepared by September.

Law1491

Bronze

Post by Law1491 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Thank you, downbeat and iamgeorgebush. I will aim at September and see where I will be by the registration deadline. I graduated this May and have a full time job. I can study for 22 hours a week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:43 pm

i've taken twice, last was a 167 improving on the first take. going for 171+ on sept OR dec. personally, I've regged for the sept 27 test, but will withdraw and sit in dec if i'm not super confident mid september. that's what i would recommend, for anyone really. don't use your retake up when you're not there, just apply a bit in the middle-to-late cycle with a dec retake. when i got my 167 on 2nd retake i wasn't ready for a 171+, so i regret sitting for that one

Law1491

Bronze

Post by Law1491 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:43 pm

Hello, everybody. I am still going back and forth on September or December retake. I would really like to take it in September and apply early. Thus, I am thinking of declining the job offer or asking for part-time, not sure if part-time is possible. What if I just work on applications, study for LSAT and volunteer in July, August and September and then look for a full time job in October? I would like to apply to low T14, so I need 170+. The job is 40 hours plus 2 hours commute every day. How serious is it not the have a job for 4 months?

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 pm

as far as law school admissions is concerned, i suspect that any benefit from applying early (i.e., october) would not outweigh the value of a full-time job, but a higher LSAT score WOULD definitely outweigh the value of a full-time job. don't worry too much about not having a job for 4 months, as long as you can put something on your resume to fill the gap.

however, if you got a 165 in june, i suspect you can probably get your score to a good place while still working full-time. if you can study 22 hours per week through the test, that should be enough. see if you can get the last two weeks before the LSAT off as vacation and just use that time for some final stretch studying.

Law1491

Bronze

Post by Law1491 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm

iamgeorgebush,
Thank you so much for giving it a thought. I am leaning towards taking a job, registering for December, and asking for a week or two off before December test, which would be amazing. At the same time, I will be applying to some schools in October, where I am at or above their median and will continue working on my reach schools applications in December to have them ready as soon as December scores are released. Looks like a plan. Thank you

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:04 am

Law1491 wrote:iamgeorgebush,
Thank you so much for giving it a thought. I am leaning towards taking a job, registering for December, and asking for a week or two off before December test, which would be amazing. At the same time, I will be applying to some schools in October, where I am at or above their median and will continue working on my reach schools applications in December to have them ready as soon as December scores are released. Looks like a plan. Thank you
sounds like a solid plan, although you should consider applying before december scores are released with a note on your apps that the schools should wait till they have the december score before making any decision. (ask spivey or someone more knowledgeable about how best to do this.)

good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”