PT score drop after drilling--reason for concern? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HeirCroc

New

PT score drop after drilling--reason for concern?

Post by HeirCroc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:12 pm

I took a timed diagnostic several weeks ago (not my first ever, but first full 4 section in a long time) and got a 165. After a few weeks of drilling, I just took another today to check my progress. I got a 162 (-6 more than first PT).

I noticed that 1.) I felt 'off' mentally, that is, I was not retaining or processing information like I normally do and 2.) Qs I have been drilling recently were relatively easy for me. I take these as 'positives'. Related to #2, questions I haven't worked on recently or drilled at all were more difficult. Like I just could not as easy get into a mental approach for them. This, of course, makes sense--I'm not as sharp on them because I haven't drilled them thoroughly yet--but was still pretty unsettling/bothersome.

I've also found that on both PTs my scores on LR sections are significantly lower than when taking individual LR sections. Perhaps this is a function of not being used to taking different sections back to back (i.e. mentally shifting from LG to RC to LR without a break) and the score drop might disappear as I start taking PTs more consistently?

I suppose I outlined the primary explanation for my performance and this post is sort of just me venting, but I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with regards to focusing drilling for a while, then feeling uncomfortable on some portions of a PT or seeing drops on a section relative to their drilling scores (e.g. normally -2 to 3 on a LR section taken individually then getting a -7/8 on a LR section in a PT).

Hopefully this isn't too jumbled--rushing to get to the gym.

Thanks

Pure Protein

New

Re: PT score drop after drilling--reason for concern?

Post by Pure Protein » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Last edited by Pure Protein on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeirCroc

New

Post by HeirCroc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:37 pm

I've been doing 3s and 4s when I drill as well as 1s and 2s.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

fra

Bronze

Post by fra » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:24 pm

I think that a solution to your problem is to avoid drilling any one section for too long. I would change sections fairly often. I think that part of the tests difficulty is that you have to change mental gears quickly.
I use prep tests sections to drill - so I never end up doing more than 30 questions of a single section type in a row, or 60 if the LR sections are consecutive.

Also, it's possible that you were just having an off day. Continued study and familiarity with the test should make it so that bad days have less of an effect on your score.

HeirCroc

New

Post by HeirCroc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:56 pm

Fra,

I agree. In the past when I used full sections to drill, rather than Cambridge, my scores (at least on LR) were consistently lower. This makes sense because LR is the section that requires you to 'switch gears' most often (IMO) and I was used to that.

I'll begin switching between Q types when I drill LR. thanks for the input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:33 am

HeirCroc wrote:I took a timed diagnostic several weeks ago (not my first ever, but first full 4 section in a long time) and got a 165. After a few weeks of drilling, I just took another today to check my progress. I got a 162 (-6 more than first PT).

I noticed that 1.) I felt 'off' mentally, that is, I was not retaining or processing information like I normally do and 2.) Qs I have been drilling recently were relatively easy for me. I take these as 'positives'. Related to #2, questions I haven't worked on recently or drilled at all were more difficult. Like I just could not as easy get into a mental approach for them. This, of course, makes sense--I'm not as sharp on them because I haven't drilled them thoroughly yet--but was still pretty unsettling/bothersome.

I've also found that on both PTs my scores on LR sections are significantly lower than when taking individual LR sections. Perhaps this is a function of not being used to taking different sections back to back (i.e. mentally shifting from LG to RC to LR without a break) and the score drop might disappear as I start taking PTs more consistently?

I suppose I outlined the primary explanation for my performance and this post is sort of just me venting, but I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with regards to focusing drilling for a while, then feeling uncomfortable on some portions of a PT or seeing drops on a section relative to their drilling scores (e.g. normally -2 to 3 on a LR section taken individually then getting a -7/8 on a LR section in a PT).

Hopefully this isn't too jumbled--rushing to get to the gym.

Thanks
Progress in learning the LSAT isn't perfectly linear. I would not be overly concerned, as of yet.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:40 am

Comparing any two PT scores is useless. You will do better on some forms than others. That's just the way it is. If you consistently score lower it might be time to re-evaluate, but those two scores next to each other raise no eyebrows.

HeirCroc

New

Post by HeirCroc » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:30 am

Figured I may have been overreacting a bit. Thanks for the input everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”