Starting my studying for Sept LSAT. Schedule tips? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lsatkillah

New

Starting my studying for Sept LSAT. Schedule tips?

Post by lsatkillah » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:16 am

Last edited by lsatkillah on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeezus

Bronze

Re: Starting my studying for Sept LSAT. Schedule tips?

Post by Yeezus » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:13 am

I'd take one day a week off, to avoid burnout. Also, use the 7sage videos for LG. I can't stress this enough. JY is the best when it comes to LG.

law_dawg18

New

Post by law_dawg18 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:59 pm

lsatkillah wrote:
I started studying in the last couple weeks. I have a schedule of at least 5 hrs a day & 7 days a wk until I go abroad for a semester in late August, a month before I'll be taking the test overseas.
Just started serious study for September test as well. Stamina building benefits aside, 5hr/day everyday sounds like a lot. How do you feel you're responding to this much volume? Are you facing burnout, do you feel like you're retaining information well?

best of luck abroad

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:17 pm

I like Manhattan's scheduling. Why not just use that? It seems to work for a lot of people. You can get it by registering with them online. Last time I checked you didn't even have to take the course.

lsatkillah

New

Post by lsatkillah » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:44 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsatkillah

New

Post by lsatkillah » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:57 pm

lsatkillah

New

Post by lsatkillah » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:56 pm

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:41 am

lsatkillah wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I like Manhattan's scheduling. Why not just use that? It seems to work for a lot of people. You can get it by registering with them online. Last time I checked you didn't even have to take the course.

Thanks, registered to check them out. Unfortunately their search bar isn't turning up any schedule results. Mind directing me to a particular spot?
They used to send it in an email once you registered. I still have an old prep calendar for a December LSAT. If I were you, I would write Noah and ask him if you can see the recommended study schedule for the October test.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

lsatkillah

New

Post by lsatkillah » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:42 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:27 am

I found that not having a strict schedule helped out.

law_dawg18

New

Post by law_dawg18 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:19 pm

lsatkillah wrote:
Good luck to us! What's your plan looking like?
Clyde Frog wrote:I found that not having a strict schedule helped out.
^basically this! I'm loosely following lsati.com's 3 month plan, I've been working through the LR and LG bibles and mahattan's RC guide for about 2-3 hours a day. I shoot for covering a chapter per day of 2 of them, for example yesterday I did LR and RC so today I'll hit LG and one of the others if I didn't finish a chapter.

I take notes, highlight/annotate in text. I had already read a good bit of my bibles earlier this year so this is sort of my re-launch and I've started everything over. It can't hurt and has helped me recall and retain information better. Not that I'm rushing but the sooner I can get through strategies and start working problems the better. I can't wait to really analyze my results and specify my training.

BPlaura

Bronze

Post by BPlaura » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:37 pm

As others have pointed out, you'll want to give yourself some time off. Burnout is unpredictable and frustrating, since once you get burnt out, the only way to get over it is by taking more time off (and it often comes at the most inopportune moments!).

Otherwise, it's best to study for large chunks of time if possible (rather than studying in a bunch of short small chunks) - that'll help you get used to focusing for long periods of time. Also, when you get to the point of taking PTs, you'll want to make sure to leave ample time between each PT to review them - that'll also help with retention.

Legal2148

New

Post by Legal2148 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:49 pm

lsatkillah wrote:Hey all.

I started studying in the last couple weeks. I have a schedule of at least 5 hrs a day & 7 days a wk until I go abroad for a semester in late August, a month before I'll be taking the test overseas. Going the self study route with the three Powerscore bibles and available LSAC tests.

At the moment, I'm zooming through the PS so I can start going through real test questions asap. Hoping to get to the point at which I can complete three timed tests a week in mid July. Any schedule modification tips to maximize retention as well as build mental stamina now, so that I will keep up with the LSAT zone when I will travel abroad? I'm anticipating leaving space in my luggage to bring practice tests and my notes -- I don't want to lose all that hard work I'm about to put myself through!

Thanks for reading.
Wow good for you! That's certainly a lot of dedication. I just took the test in June and something I liked to do and found useful for myself was focusing on two very different but very specific aspects of the test. Let's say I was struggling with "Inference" questions and "Hybrid" games, I would focus on those two things for a day or evening and really force myself to struggle through them even if it was discouraging. Then I'd give myself 1-2 days break from those subjects and come back to them. I would always do significantly better with my follow up. Hope that's some useful info for you and good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WilliamStrong

New

Post by WilliamStrong » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:01 pm

The only additional advice I have is regarding your last month of studying when you are doing the most recent prep tests under real test conditions. The advice is you should space the prep tests out with at least 1-2 days in between. This is not only so you won't be burnt out by the test date, but also you can learn from each prep test and improve. Remember your primary goal for each of the prep test is not to get a higher score or a score you want, but to learn from the mistakes so you can practice to make less of those mistakes, and naturally getting a higher score in the end. Plus, you would also need the extra time to deeply understand why you got each wrong answers wrong and why you spent longer in some questions than you think you are supposed to, because same approaches will get you the same score and different approaches will get you a different score, and not understanding exactly what you did wrong will make it likely you will make the same mistakes and get the same score again and again. This is why you should allow 1-2 days of test review and drilling the skills that still needed work.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:41 pm

Clyde Frog wrote:I found that not having a strict schedule helped out.
ya one key for me was keeping my schedule flexible
although my schedule was very detailed, i changed it often based on my performance
example: when i realized kind of late in the game that i hadn't reached consistency in LG, i took a week off prep testing and drilled every single logic game, plus devoured several more books filled with third party games
after that i never really had any issues with LG, going off-script was a great move

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”