LR - Kaplan vs Manhattan

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
aenti

New

LR - Kaplan vs Manhattan

Postby aenti » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:22 pm

All,

I have been using the recommended TLS books for my LG and RC preparation. As I start my LR studying, I have a choice between Kaplans online self study and books or Manhattans LR fourth edition book. What method do you recommend for my LR self studying. I'd like to pick one and get ready for my September exam.

Kaplan pros: huge book of pure practice problems from prior exams and on demand content.
Cons: more timely, videos will eat up valuable time. Kaplans preparation might not be adequate either.

Manhattan: usually well acclaimed. Less content than the Kaplan course.

I'm worried about picking one, getting used to its methodology, and getting screwed over by the other test prep material. Any suggestions as to which program to use?

Thanks

Nova

Platinum

Re: LR - Kaplan vs Manhattan

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:32 pm

general consensus is manhattan is awesome and kaplan sucks

Pancakes12

Bronze

Postby Pancakes12 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:38 pm

is this a real question

aenti

New

Postby aenti » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Nova, Have you used the Manhattan LR book? Thoughts?

Kaplan is pretty crap on the RC and LG but their LR isn't too bad. But I'm thinking I might just use the Manhattan book and use the Kaplan material for practice. Only problem is the question categories won't align. What do you think?

Nova

Platinum

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:46 pm

I read manhattan after reading powerscore and thought manhattan was excellent. I cant really go into much detail tho since I took the lsat in 2011 and its all a blur at this point

aenti

New

Postby aenti » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:54 pm

I have access to powerscore LR book as well. If I have to pick one, which would you choose?

Nova

Platinum

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:56 pm

psb is basic

m goes into more depth and is better

imo

aenti

New

Postby aenti » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks nova.
Did you review Manhattan and drill questions? What was your approach? Sorry if I'm being annoying, I'm trying to break my last lsat score

Oskosh

Silver

Postby Oskosh » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Alright, lurker who decided to take the September 2014 LSAT, which is why I (consider myself, at least) am knowledgeable with respect to this issue, despite this being my first post on the forums.

I prefer Manhattan to the other providers (I also have access to the bibles, which are good) because of the fact that they simplify the Logical Reasoning section, whereas other companies complicate the questions and the question types. For instance, powerscore has about 8 or 9 question types, and they use visuals and provide you with definitions about these question types for the purpose of familiarizing you with them. That being said, they are still 9, so determining the characteristics of a family and what you have to do in order to answer it requires memorizing a lot (imo).

Manhattan simplifies this by simply grouping many of the question types (flaw, necessary assumption, sufficient assumption, principle, weaken, strengthen) into one kind of family: the assumption family. They advocate a technique that has you analyze the argument core (i.e premises and intermediary conclusions, additional information) and the conclusion, after which you identify the assumption being made (I hope I am allowed to say this?). Having it explained to me really simplified the logical reasoning section for me, as it is incredibly easy to identify the core and the conclusion, and to subsequently determine the gaps in reasoning.

Hope this helped you out. I will also mention that I have not used the 4th edition manhattan prep books, but I have used the 3rd and 2nd editions. I think the 4th edition just has more practice problems, which is always good. Cheers!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�