Yet another watch thread

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Best watch type/strategy?

Plain watch with no strategy
3
19%
Plain watch you reset to 12:00/25 after each section
6
38%
Chronograph
0
No votes
Rotating bezel watch
7
44%
 
Total votes: 16

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Yet another watch thread

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:32 pm

From the old threads on this I know that the correct answer is "by test day your timing should be so good that you don't need a watch," but I'm going to take one anyway so which of these do you recommend?

Also, are there any specific watch models within those categories that you found especially helpful?

Initially I was going to just get this but apparently it ticks too loud. I then considered a chronograph, but cheap (<$75) chronos seem very fragile; this one is the only one I saw without a failure complaint, and it's extremely ugly.

I already have a couple nice watches but they're automatics so I'd worry about them running out of power or breaking with too much time resetting.

User avatar
guano

Gold
Posts: 2265
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby guano » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:53 pm

Jaeger, or GTFO

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:06 pm

guano wrote:Jaeger, or GTFO


For costing as much as a cheap car, those are some ugly watches: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A37711001 ... -LeCoultre
Last edited by RZ5646 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bombaysippin

Gold
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby bombaysippin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:08 pm

Just get whatever you're comfortable with and whatever helps to relax your nerves. People trash on the 180 watch, (which is justified because of how expensive it is for how simple a function), but if it's what helps you score the best you can, then that money in the grand scheme of things won't matter much for the return on investment you'll get. YMMV

User avatar
alexrodriguez

Silver
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby alexrodriguez » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:12 pm

I'll be using my 180 watch.

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby PDX4343 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:34 pm

I thought getting a watch specifically for the LSAT was going a little over the top, but honestly having one with a rotating bezel was really really helpful during the test when things got a little messy.

User avatar
bombaysippin

Gold
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby bombaysippin » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:37 pm

TLS is over the top....in a good way though of course.

User avatar
guano

Gold
Posts: 2265
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby guano » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:43 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
guano wrote:Jaeger, or GTFO


For costing as much as a cheap car, those are some ugly ass watches: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A37711001 ... -LeCoultre

How about the cost of a small town?

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:04 pm

guano wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
guano wrote:Jaeger, or GTFO


For costing as much as a cheap car, those are some ugly ass watches: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A37711001 ... -LeCoultre

How about the cost of a small town?


I'd like to know what kind of person actually buys these. If I "make it" I'll probably buy a Rolex or Omega someday, but paying over a couple thousand for a watch is ridiculous, and over $50k simply pathological.

rad lulz

Platinum
Posts: 9816
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 pm

If you want to be trendy get that royal oak like rick ross

Image

for a more classic look try vacheron constantin

Image

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby PDX4343 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
guano wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
guano wrote:Jaeger, or GTFO


For costing as much as a cheap car, those are some ugly ass watches: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A37711001 ... -LeCoultre

How about the cost of a small town?


I'd like to know what kind of person actually buys these. If I "make it" I'll probably buy a Rolex or Omega someday, but paying over a couple thousand for a watch is ridiculous, and over $50k simply pathological.


The absurdly rich who need something to blow money on.

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Okay so no one has suggestions below the $10,000 price point?

User avatar
PDX4343

Silver
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby PDX4343 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 pm

http://www.amazon.com/MW-Unisex-Fashion ... ezel+watch

I'm pretty sure this is the one I used. Did the job.

User avatar
Calbears123

Bronze
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby Calbears123 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:26 pm

180 watch, I just hope it doesn't fuck up on me next monday. I've been finishing sections with 3-5 minutes to spare, but I need to watch to take my mind 100% off the clock

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:46 pm

Calbears123 wrote:180 watch, I just hope it doesn't fuck up on me next monday. I've been finishing sections with 3-5 minutes to spare, but I need to watch to take my mind 100% off the clock


The 180 watch just seemed too expensive and nerdy to me. Plus cheap chronos seem risky.

I might just start practicing the bezel strategy with my old Seiko diver.

User avatar
Calbears123

Bronze
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:38 am

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby Calbears123 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 am

RZ5646 wrote:
Calbears123 wrote:180 watch, I just hope it doesn't fuck up on me next monday. I've been finishing sections with 3-5 minutes to spare, but I need to watch to take my mind 100% off the clock


The 180 watch just seemed too expensive and nerdy to me. Plus cheap chronos seem risky.

I might just start practicing the bezel strategy with my old Seiko diver.


The simplicity the watch offers in its ability to start, stop, and reset made it worth the $$$ IMO. Honestly anything to help me just focus on the test. I'm worried though I heard it's pretty cheaply made and some peoples have broken down in a month (have had mine for about that time.) Needless to say I'll bring a back up. As for nerdy yeah it is but you're already posting on tls

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 am

Calbears123 wrote:[

The simplicity the watch offers in its ability to start, stop, and reset made it worth the $$$ IMO.


That's what attracted me to chronos, but I can't find one within my budget that is reliable, easy to read, and not unspeakably ugly.

Caesar Salad

Diamond
Posts: 16100
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 am

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby Caesar Salad » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:40 am

RZ5646 wrote:
guano wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
guano wrote:Jaeger, or GTFO


For costing as much as a cheap car, those are some ugly ass watches: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A37711001 ... -LeCoultre

How about the cost of a small town?


I'd like to know what kind of person actually buys these. If I "make it" I'll probably buy a Rolex or Omega someday, but paying over a couple thousand for a watch is ridiculous, and over $50k simply pathological.


http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.com/N ... /2277.page

Apparently bankers from the 30's. Seems like a pretty sweet dude, seems to have led a pretty 180 life.

User avatar
churrochi

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby churrochi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:05 am

I use a $10 watch from Walmart. Has numbers and a rotating bezel I can reset in the span of time it takes the proctor to call the end of a section/announce the next one. Nothing too extraordinary.

User avatar
guano

Gold
Posts: 2265
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby guano » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:55 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
guano wrote:
RZ5646 wrote:
guano wrote:Jaeger, or GTFO


For costing as much as a cheap car, those are some ugly ass watches: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A37711001 ... -LeCoultre

How about the cost of a small town?


I'd like to know what kind of person actually buys these. If I "make it" I'll probably buy a Rolex or Omega someday, but paying over a couple thousand for a watch is ridiculous, and over $50k simply pathological.

If you buy a rolex, it means you haven't really made it, you just think you have

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:47 pm

guano wrote:If you buy a rolex, it means you haven't really made it, you just think you have


Are Rollies passé now? I remember reading that they were regarded as just good utilitarian watches until marketers made them a symbol of conspicuous consumption in the '80s, and other luxury brands are actually better.

User avatar
monsterman

Bronze
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 am

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby monsterman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:52 pm

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches/

A comprehensive snobby take on watches. I'm pretty sure he only considers watches more than 5 grand as "real and worthy" watches.

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:01 pm

monsterman wrote:http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches/

A comprehensive snobby take on watches. I'm pretty sure he only considers watches more than 5 grand as "real and worthy" watches.


One of the articles is an advice column where a kid asks, "Should A 21-Year-Old Wear A Five-Figure Watch?" What I would give to have a problem like that.
Last edited by RZ5646 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guano

Gold
Posts: 2265
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby guano » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:39 am

RZ5646 wrote:
guano wrote:If you buy a rolex, it means you haven't really made it, you just think you have


Are Rollies passé now? I remember reading that they were regarded as just good utilitarian watches until marketers made them a symbol of conspicuous consumption in the '80s, and other luxury brands are actually better.

They're good watches, but you're paying extra for the snob factor. There are equally well-known brands making watches just as good that cost a chunk less, like breitling, and there are highly regarded (in watch circles) but less known brands that would cost even less, like bell & ross.
If you're going to spend that kind of money, there are brands that are better value (not really value for money, because, WTF?) like an entry-level ulysse nardin or jaeger lecoultre.
If you've really made it, of course there's always patek philippe

User avatar
RZ5646

Gold
Posts: 2391
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Yet another watch thread

Postby RZ5646 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:50 pm

guano wrote:They're good watches, but you're paying extra for the snob factor. There are equally well-known brands making watches just as good that cost a chunk less, like breitling, and there are highly regarded (in watch circles) but less known brands that would cost even less, like bell & ross.
If you're going to spend that kind of money, there are brands that are better value (not really value for money, because, WTF?) like an entry-level ulysse nardin or jaeger lecoultre.
If you've really made it, of course there's always patek philippe


I think I'll just stick with my Seiko and Hamilton. I think they look cool.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests