landmark DOJ- LSAC agreement: any similar private co cases? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NYSprague

Silver

landmark DOJ- LSAC agreement: any similar private co cases?

Post by NYSprague » Fri May 23, 2014 2:18 pm

The consent agreement sets out policies and practices that must be followed as well as 2 government representatives on a 5 person committee to determine, standardize and report on best practices as well as monitoring and auditing functions.

The LSAC consent agreement reminds me of the justice department mandates for school integration, but that was with local governmental agencies.

Does anyone know a case where justice comes into a private company and becomes closely involved with how that company will operate and make decisions regarding one of the company's basic purposes?

I know there may be monitoring for compliance with hiring practices, but Justice is going to be involved in deciding best practices (through representatives on a committee), basic policies and procedures like email responses and database management, the number and type of experts hired and then monitoring and auditing the whole thing for 4 years.

I can't think of other examples but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. It's been a long time since I took con law.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: landmark DOJ- LSAC agreement: any similar private co cases?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Does it maybe have to do with the fact that LSAC is basically a monopoly even if it is a private company? So are there any antitrust kinds of cases where something like this has happened? (I don't have any examples.)

NYSprague

Silver

Re: landmark DOJ- LSAC agreement: any similar private co cases?

Post by NYSprague » Fri May 23, 2014 2:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Does it maybe have to do with the fact that LSAC is basically a monopoly even if it is a private company? So are there any antitrust kinds of cases where something like this has happened? (I don't have any examples.)
Not sure. I think even if there was a competing service DOJ would have been involved.
Anti-trust is a good thought though.

Anything else I can think of is a private-public partnership or quasi- governmental, and that usually is commerce (I think) not justice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”