does it matter when you take the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ls1995

New

does it matter when you take the LSAT

Post by ls1995 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:30 pm

I am currently a rising sophomore with an interest in going to law school. I spontaneously took the 2007 LSAT the other night and scored a 153. I have never been exposed to the test and my worst section was LR due to the fact that my mind was running all over the place during the sections and I got bored. i managed to get 18/23 logic game section correct, and had a similar issue with the reading that I did with the LR section but scored better on the reading. So my question is, if I were to take the LSAT next year as opposed to my junior year summer, would that be detrimental? My main interest is doing M&A work and I am also interested in doing investment banking, so studying for the LSAT would be pretty much impossible if I was to get a finance internship.

jkhalfa

Bronze

Re: does it matter when you take the LSAT

Post by jkhalfa » Thu May 22, 2014 1:46 pm

The only downside is that an extra year of college might improve your reading/reasoning abilities. I'd plan on taking it next year and then postpone it to a later date if you're still not at your target score when test time rolls around.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rexdan

New

Post by Rexdan » Thu May 22, 2014 1:53 pm

jk148706 wrote:What is a rising sophomore?

Also, relax. Law school isn't going anywhere. I'd say take it in a couple years, get some work experience and go from there.

^^^This. It's not a race. In fact, there are people who will defer their enrollment to take care of things before actually starting law school. Take it after getting some WE into the mix. What I'd do now is have fun and get involved with anything that sparks your interest. Who knows; your career objective may change during that time. Just give it some time.

ls1995

New

Post by ls1995 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Meaning I will be a sophomore this coming fall. I figured it would be better to take it somewhere down the line.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdx2014

Bronze

Post by jdx2014 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:41 pm

I didn't used to think that location/time mattered but they do. Subjective more the Objective of course, but they do.

What time of year do you study better? Me, I study better in Winter (less distracting bikinis and stuff)
What location matters too since many are in areas where the school may be less comfortable to your particular sensibilities (whatever those may be) so visit the campuses and get a feel for the areas, and the average student in some places may be a factor too (don't take it in a location full of hoodrats, you know where those locations are, avoid them)

Not trying to offend anyone, not trying to be PC either. Just those ARE factors.

When in doubt, just take it on your home campus (home team advantage) in a semester where you have a lower credit load, and mostly blow off electives and can focus more on prep

wishing you the best

jdx2014

Bronze

Post by jdx2014 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:43 pm

ls1995 wrote:Meaning I will be a sophomore this coming fall. I figured it would be better to take it somewhere down the line.
The scores tend to be good for 5 years. Look into if your schools that you want to go to take the higher score or an average (not all schools do it the same way) if it is an average, then I would sit it early just to get a feel for it. All the prep tests in the world are no substitute or the real thing. BUT if they do an average, then don't do that since it would be shooting yourself in the foot.

Clyde Frog

Platinum

Post by Clyde Frog » Thu May 22, 2014 10:36 pm

The April test is the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”