undergraduate minor advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ls1995

New

undergraduate minor advice

Post by ls1995 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 pm

I am a finance major and am interested in going to law school or investment banking. I am trying to keep my options open, and would like to get the most well rounded education possible. I originally was planing on double majoring in finance and economics but have found that I am more into economics from a political standpoint then I am in pure economics. I have found that my university offers two minors that both interest me but I cannot decide which will be more beneficial.

Minor 1: economics that focuses on politics (exactly my interest).

Minor 2: focuses on philosophy and law
you take courses such as logic & reasoning, formal reasoning, ethics, philosophy of law.

Between these two I think I would be more interested in the first minor, but would taking logic and formal reasoning and the others i listed in the second minor be that beneficial for taking the LSAT?

manillabay

Bronze

Re: undergraduate minor advice

Post by manillabay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:59 pm

ls1995 wrote:I am a finance major and am interested in going to law school or investment banking. I am trying to keep my options open, and would like to get the most well rounded education possible. I originally was planing on double majoring in finance and economics but have found that I am more into economics from a political standpoint then I am in pure economics. I have found that my university offers two minors that both interest me but I cannot decide which will be more beneficial.

you take courses such as logic & reasoning, formal reasoning, ethics, philosophy of law.

Between these two I think I would be more interested in the first minor, but would taking logic and formal reasoning and the others i listed in the second minor be that beneficial for taking the LSAT?
I think minors are generally pretty worthless. If you insist on having one, however, I would choose the Minor 2 option because formal reasoning/logic & reasoning are the types of courses that will introduce you to some of the material present on the LSAT.

I took an introduction to logic course that taught me the diagramming skills used on the Analytical Reasoning section of the LSAT, for instance.

I just don't see the need in having a major and a minor in economics.

jkhalfa

Bronze

Post by jkhalfa » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Philosophy classes are pretty good for LSAT prep. Both philosophy and the LSAT require you to carefully read dense texts and understand their arguments. Logic classes are especially helpful, just don't stop after "intro to logic," which at my school at least is kind of a joke.

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Whichever one is easier to get As in.

That said, the majors that do the best on the Lsat are:

1) Physics/Math
2) Philosophy/Religion
3) Economics
28) Prelaw

ls1995

New

Post by ls1995 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:07 pm

I am not majoring in economics. Yes I agree that taking a logic course would be good and I can still do it regardless, I was just more curious if it would be that much beneficial to take philosophy of law and other philosophy classes as opposed to more reading and writing intense classes offered in minor #1. Can't I just buy a book on logic and reasoning and read it? most of the classes in the minor #1 are not actually econ courses but are classes apart of a program intended for students interested in law school, politics, teaching,etc. the program is essentially a combination of political science and economics. The other issue with minor #1 is the program that it is offered through is very liberal and very challenging. I believe I would thrive but the overall consensus I have got from friends in the full time program is that 4.0s are not entirely easy to get which pushes me away. Would I be better offer just doing the philosophy/law minor and just read for personal matters about the other minor for the sake of my gpa (I do have a 4.0 and would like to keep it this way).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swampman

Bronze

Post by swampman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:12 pm

ls1995 wrote:Can't I just buy a book on logic and reasoning and read it?
Absolutely. That's why you should take:
Whichever one is easier to get As in.

MidwestLifer

Bronze

Post by MidwestLifer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Minor in the one that will allow you the most time to study for the LSAT/get A's on A's.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:22 pm

ls1995 wrote:I was just more curious if it would be that much beneficial to take philosophy of law and other philosophy classes as opposed to more reading and writing intense classes offered in minor #1.
I don't know about the specific programs at your school, but the minor in philosophy will probably also be reading and writing incentive.

I agree with others, whatever gives you more time to study for the LSAT and allows easier As. If you can avoid the minor altogether that might be even better.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:27 pm

FWIW, though, i think taking philosophy courses really helped me on the LSAT. Don't take informal logic courses since, like you said, you can pretty much master the same information by reading a book or two. However, rigorous upper level courses can only help, especially on the reading comp section which is arguably the hardest to improve on in the normal LSAT-prep timeframe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ls1995

New

Post by ls1995 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:28 pm

I am only a freshmen So i have plenty of time to complete the minor, I am just trying to take into consideration the future. I am not even certain I will pursue law school or even take the LSAT. If I get an investment banking internship my junior year summer I will not study for the LSAT. If i do not, I will full time study that summer and take the October test.

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Just feast on whatever scholarship appears tastiest to you. You will excel most if you follow your sincere tastes. Being genuinely psyched about political economics will get you further than drudging through a law and philosophy minor and spinning some bullshit about how your background is a divine fit with going to law school. You can always read Rawls, Dworkin, Raz, Hart, Bentham, and the gang on your own if that gets you jazzed, too.

ls1995

New

Post by ls1995 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Both genuinely interest me, I am just trying to gauge what is going to help me (even if its only a little) on the LSAT.

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:46 pm

I would pick up a physics minor and get at least 24 credits. As long as you can handle the work and it won't fuck up your GPA it will open a bunch of doors. For example, if you don't have an engineering degree, the quickest way to be eligible to sit for the patent bar is to pick up 24 hours of physics. Even if you don't want to do it, it will make you more marketable. In finance experience with advanced algorithms and vector analysis is useful for market modeling. Either way, you help yourself out -- as long as it doesn't fuck your GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:17 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:20 am

ls1995 wrote:I am a finance major and am interested in going to law school or investment banking. I am trying to keep my options open, and would like to get the most well rounded education possible. I originally was planing on double majoring in finance and economics but have found that I am more into economics from a political standpoint then I am in pure economics. I have found that my university offers two minors that both interest me but I cannot decide which will be more beneficial.

That second minor sounds kind of stupid, unless it's actually just philosophy, which might be okay. Take some writing courses or something, that's always a good skill to sharpen

snagglepuss

Gold

Post by snagglepuss » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:21 am

The writing advice is credited. Writing chops help in every field.
ls1995 wrote:Both genuinely interest me, I am just trying to gauge what is going to help me (even if its only a little) on the LSAT.
Someone following their most genuine interest(s) isn't likely to be the type posting on a law school forum as a freshman asking others to help them pick their minor.

I'm suggesting you don't take our advice here and just choose what you would choose if all minors were viewed equally because this will be fulfilling, fortifying, and probably best for your grades and therefore your IB aspirations.

Ultimately, general intelligence and dedicated LSAT prep are what help you on the LSAT because the logic, the reading, and the reasoning are not highly advanced/specific skills exclusively taught in one field of study. Rather they are basic abilities that constitute any well-sharpened, analytical mind - the kind of mind that is common to the most gifted students in all disciplines (except maybe poli sci and communications jk...kind of). Fortunately, this ideal LSAT mind can be replaced by months of rote LSAT practice if your college development doesn't get you all the way there.

ls1995

New

Post by ls1995 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 am

I was more asking from a standpoint of the LSAT as most of you have probably taken it rather than having you pick. They are both interesting to me, but I am more interested in the first of the two. but thank you for the advice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 am

This gunner mentality seriously pisses me off.

OP, you are a freshman. Yes, what you do after you graduate is important and if you happen to go into either law school or IB, then having prepared for both beforehand would indeed be the optimal scenario for you. BUT, as has been posted before, your studies should not merely be a means to a professional end. For the sake of all that is beautiful in this world, pursue a minor in the area that genuinely interests you. If you have multiple such areas, pursue as many as you can (it's a minor for crying out loud so it will be relatively easy). If you want to do well on the LSAT, a philosophy minor is not necessary nor always sufficient (LSAT logic is remarkably elementary and what will determine your score is more your logical-reasoning reflexes and this will come, perhaps gruelingly, through practice practice practice).

Also, I should note that although you want to have the highest GPA you can possibly have for IB and law school (or in general, for that matter), you certainly don't need a 4.0. Do not be so concerned with maintaining a near perfect GPA when you can still have a very competitive 3.8+ whilst exploring subjects that truly interest you.

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:17 am

snagglepuss wrote: Ultimately, general intelligence and dedicated LSAT prep are what help you on the LSAT because the logic, the reading, and the reasoning are not highly advanced/specific skills exclusively taught in one field of study. Rather they are basic abilities that constitute any well-sharpened, analytical mind - the kind of mind that is common to the most gifted students in all disciplines (except maybe poli sci and communications jk...kind of). Fortunately, this ideal LSAT mind can be replaced by months of rote LSAT practice if your college development doesn't get you all the way there.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”