. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
avocatchat

New

Post by avocatchat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:07 am

Last edited by avocatchat on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nova

Platinum

Re: June or September?

Post by Nova » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:48 am

avocatchat wrote: would my pre-June efforts still pay off if I don't test until several months later??
LSAT skills are easy to retain over time.

Will waiting hurt my applications in any way??
Applying right after sept scores are released is a perfect time to apply.

Or should I just go ahead and travel to take the test in June?
Take the test whenever youre ready

manillabay

Bronze

Post by manillabay » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:37 am

avocatchat wrote: But I'm graduating in early May and will be moving and looking for/starting a new job in May/June and I learned today that all of the LSAT testing locations in my new city are already full! :shock: Now I'm worried that the stress and time needed to travel to another unfamiliar place on testing day might be detrimental...
Does this happen often...?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 pm

manillabay wrote:
avocatchat wrote: But I'm graduating in early May and will be moving and looking for/starting a new job in May/June and I learned today that all of the LSAT testing locations in my new city are already full! :shock: Now I'm worried that the stress and time needed to travel to another unfamiliar place on testing day might be detrimental...
There are a lot less locations offered in June- since its on a Monday. They tend to fill up quickly.

mornincounselor

Silver

Post removed.

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:13 pm

manillabay wrote:
Happened to me last June. Wanted to take it at Rutgers, ended up taking it at Villanova. I don't think the location change made a difference at all for me. Unless you've had a class or something in the same room where you get your test, it's going to be somewhat unfamiliar regardless. As long as you get there with time to spare, you'll be fine (arriving at a test in an unfamiliar place late WOULD be an issue).

As far as when to take it, I'd say it depends when you want/need to apply. If you aren't 100% set on applying next cycle, wait til you're 100% ready. If you're set on applying ASAP, I'd definitely try to make the June test. That way if it doesn't go as planned you can retake in September and still have your apps in early. If you hold off til September and have a bad day, then you either have to retake in February (and have your score sent in late), or settle for a poor grade, or sit out a cycle to reapply.

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:01 pm

180kickflip wrote:
manillabay wrote:
Happened to me last June. Wanted to take it at Rutgers, ended up taking it at Villanova. I don't think the location change made a difference at all for me. Unless you've had a class or something in the same room where you get your test, it's going to be somewhat unfamiliar regardless. As long as you get there with time to spare, you'll be fine (arriving at a test in an unfamiliar place late WOULD be an issue).

As far as when to take it, I'd say it depends when you want/need to apply. If you aren't 100% set on applying next cycle, wait til you're 100% ready. If you're set on applying ASAP, I'd definitely try to make the June test. That way if it doesn't go as planned you can retake in September and still have your apps in early. If you hold off til September and have a bad day, then you either have to retake in February (and have your score sent in late), or settle for a poor grade, or sit out a cycle to reapply.
Where did the December test go?

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:22 pm

sprinky07 wrote:
180kickflip wrote:
manillabay wrote:

Where did the December test go?
Nowhere, but from what I understand, waiting for a December score and applying closer to January may not result in the best cycle possible. Plus, if your apps take a long time in review you could be fighting against seat deposit deadlines.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:49 am

LSAT skills rust pretty easily; you can maintain them until fall by doing small amounts of practice on a regular basis--even just a few questions a few times a week--but they won't just sit quietly and wait for you.

The first thing that struck me about your dilemma is that you don't even seem clear on exactly when you'll be moving. If you're not sure whether it's going to be in May or June and you don't have a job lined up, why not just stay put until after the June test and then relocate?

If that's not an option, it still makes sense to try to take the test in June if your practice tests indicate that you're ready, but your concerns about travel are well founded. You definitely don't want to be spending three hours on public transportation before taking the test, nor to put yourself in the stressful situation of depending on circumstances outside your control to get you there on time.

If you're going to travel for the test, seriously consider making the trip the evening before and taking a dry run to the testing center from your hotel to ensure that you know where you're going, how long it takes to get there (remember that traffic will be heavier on a week day), etc. If you're driving, make sure you know where to park (again, options may be different on a week day), whether you have to pay and whether you'll need change, cash, etc.

You don't want any surprises on test day, and that takes a little more work when you're traveling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”