Serious LSAT concern Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
stef1330

New

Serious LSAT concern

Post by stef1330 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Okay so I have just started my intense LSAT study and I have a little over twenty give hours under my belt. Getting anything under a 170 is not an option for me. For the next one hundred days I'm going to be studying about three hours independently. With six hours on the weekends.in addition I'm going to be taking a testmasters course at Emory university.
However there seems to be a dilemma. My best friend of over ten years is having his wedding two days before the test. Should I go?! My absolute dream school is UVA and I have to apply early decision to get in so I really want to take the test in June and I don't think I can take it later. Should I go to the wedding or not? It's two days before the test

BPlaura

Bronze

Re: Serious LSAT concern

Post by BPlaura » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:19 pm

Go to the wedding - it's good to taper your studying a little in the days before the test anyway. But don't get wasted or stay out super late (which is a bummer, I know, but you'll need to be well-rested for your LSAT).

Twitch

New

Post by Twitch » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:20 pm

stef1330 wrote:Okay so I have just started my intense LSAT study and I have a little over twenty give hours under my belt. Getting anything under a 170 is not an option for me. For the next one hundred days I'm going to be studying about three hours independently. With six hours on the weekends.in addition I'm going to be taking a testmasters course at Emory university.
However there seems to be a dilemma. My best friend of over ten years is having his wedding two days before the test. Should I go?! My absolute dream school is UVA and I have to apply early decision to get in so I really want to take the test in June and I don't think I can take it later. Should I go to the wedding or not? It's two days before the test
You should be letting your mind mostly rest from LSAT for the few days before the test. It's not like you'll learn anything new, and you want your brain fresh for the test. Go to the wedding.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Do you really want to take the chance? What if you go and score a 169 and have to spend the rest of your life blaming your childhood friend for why you couldnt get into law school. The wedding is his dream UVA is yours.

mach9zero

Bronze

Post by mach9zero » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:29 pm

I thought I'd get a serious LSAT concern, this isn't it. :lol:

Go to the wedding, it's the LSAT not a high-tension political conflict. It sounds like you're already prepared with how you'll be studying, so I'm sure you'll be fine for test time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Can't your friend reschedule the wedding ?

jkwo07

New

Post by jkwo07 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Can't your friend reschedule the wedding ?
This.

What kind of asshole schedules a wedding in the month of june?

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:14 pm

Also, why has no one addressed the OP can take the test in October (September) and still ED UVA? You can take it in December and still ED UVA, OP.

jkwo07

New

Post by jkwo07 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:22 pm

Why gun for the UVA ED?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stef1330

New

Post by stef1330 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:35 pm

To answer some questions;

1) I am absolutely obsessed with making in into UVA. I have an irrational fear that if I apply at any time that is not within the first couple of days that ED's are being accepted that my chances will drop dramatically. Let's try and work around this. I want to get my LSAT over with at the June date.

2) so my best friend didn't actually make me his best man because of this in part. It sucks, right?

3) my dad said he would buy a plane ticket so I could go to the wedding and come right back. I'm in Atlanta, the wedding is in jax Florida.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:42 pm

stef1330 wrote:To answer some questions;

1) I am absolutely obsessed with making in into UVA. I have an irrational fear that if I apply at any time that is not within the first couple of days that ED's are being accepted that my chances will drop dramatically. Let's try and work around this. I want to get my LSAT over with at the June date.

2) so my best friend didn't actually make me his best man because of this in part. It sucks, right?

3) my dad said he would buy a plane ticket so I could go to the wedding and come right back. I'm in Atlanta, the wedding is in jax Florida.
You really need to calm down. If you have the numbers and ED you will get in. It doesn't matter if you do it in September or November. Chill out.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Also, why has no one addressed the OP can take the test in October (September) and still ED UVA? You can take it in December and still ED UVA, OP.
Yeah. I don't think the wedding is worthy of much concern as long as OP doesn't party all night and get wasted, however I think this part is much more worthy of legitimate concern:
Okay so I have just started my intense LSAT study and I have a little over twenty give hours under my belt. Getting anything under a 170 is not an option for me. For the next one hundred days I'm going to be studying about three hours independently. With six hours on the weekends.

I have to apply early decision to get in so I really want to take the test in June and I don't think I can take it later.
While 170 is of course a great goal, heading into the June test with this inflexible plan/set of timeline expectations is not likely to work out well given the realities of how difficult it is to achieve a test day 170+ score, especially with only about 100 days of prep from start to test day.

Do you have an idea what your current starting score range is OP? Not trying to rain on your parade or say you cannot accomplish your goal, but improving to 170+ range with 100 days or less of prep rarely happens unless starting with a cold diag score already in the 160s range, and even then it usually takes more than 3 months to get good enough to be able to lock down 170+ on test day.

You should consider some flexibility with your timeline and expectations for your goals. Many people highly underestimate the difficulty of the LSAT and how long it takes to significantly improve scores when they are at the beginning of the prep process.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 pm

First off, chill out. Seriously. Oh yeah, and quit obsessing about UVA. While it's commendable to have a lofty goal like getting into UVA (and I hope you get in), there is more to life than getting admitted to a certain school. Whether or not you get in, your life will go on. Second, go to the wedding. Taking a couple of days off to enjoy life right before the LSAT will not cause you to forget everything you have learned over the course of three months of studying; in addition, the wedding might help you from burning out. Lastly, once you get into UVA, you probably won't have the same amount of time to enjoy with your friends, so enjoy it while you can.

TLSanders

Bronze

Post by TLSanders » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:26 pm

By two days before the test, you shouldn't be doing more than some very brief warm-ups to stay in form anyway. Go to the wedding. But, be sensible. It's not a good time to be drinking, or staying up all night, and you don't want to be flying home hours before the test or anything like that. Disruptions to your schedule, sleep patterns, etc. will impact your performance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”