Does HLS actually average LSAT scores? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
crazyvix

New

Does HLS actually average LSAT scores?

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:02 am

I know there has been a lot of posts about them but I just want to make sure before I make my second move. I had my test today, the LRs and LGs both went well, I guess I won't miss over 2 Qs in total but I totally bombed RC, I seriously had no idea what I was reading when I was doing the test. With it being the first section, it just made everything worse.

Now the first thing I need to consider right now is whether I should cancel my score. I intend to apply HLS in the next cycle, I have been constantly scoring 176+ in the last 5 prep tests, but I am 90% sure that I would not possibly get that score in this writing. So if HLS does average, I should probably just cancel, if it does not, I should just see what I got after all these months' prep. So I'm asking for some advice! thanks a lot!!

NoLieAbility

Bronze

Re: Does HLS actually average LSAT scores?

Post by NoLieAbility » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:21 am

http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... tml#retake

They average. If you have your heart set on Harvard and are confident that you underperformed, your choice is clear.
Last edited by NoLieAbility on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:47 am

Don't cancel. I felt awful about my RC too an ended up with a -0.

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:49 am

Pneumonia wrote:Don't cancel. I felt awful about my RC too an ended up with a -0.
It feels quite different, I was totally rushing.. I pretty much ended up guessing a LOT of questions... I don't think I have that kind of luck which can give me a -2 or something with pure guess.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:53 am

Even still, no reason to cancel. HLS doesn't average.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 am

Pneumonia wrote:Even still, no reason to cancel. HLS doesn't average.
Really? Because the official site say
The LSAT need be taken only once. If you take the test more than once, all scores and their average will be reported and considered.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:57 am

the official site is not always what it seems. it also doesnt' say average. it says considered.

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:05 pm

stillwater wrote:the official site is not always what it seems. it also doesnt' say average. it says considered.
But consider all things being equal, a 167 and 177 is likely to be worse than a cancellation and 177... Idk.. it's killing me.

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:15 pm

Wait, is it possible that I do not cancel this time, but if I got a bad score, I abandon this LSAC account, I registered for another account and then use whichever that has a higher score to apply? Or am I missing something...??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:20 pm

crazyvix wrote:
Wait, is it possible that I do not cancel this time, but if I got a bad score, I abandon this LSAC account, I registered for another account and then use whichever that has a higher score to apply? Or am I missing something...??
Don't they get your SSN?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:25 pm

crazyvix wrote:
LSAC isn't like TLS, you can't just abandon an account and start a new one. They'll connect everything.

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:30 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
crazyvix wrote:
LSAC isn't like TLS, you can't just abandon an account and start a new one. They'll connect everything.
The thing is I do not have an SSN since I'm an international student, LSAC just randomly gave me certain SSN number.. strange.... what am I missing though...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:32 pm

crazyvix wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
crazyvix wrote:
The thing is I do not have an SSN since I'm an international student, LSAC just randomly gave me certain SSN number.. strange.... what am I missing though...
All the other information about you that LSAC connects? Also the unethical nature of trying to hide your previous scores when everything about the application process asks you to disclose all scores?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:34 pm

yea, this is unethical. considering they get your transcripts, etc. it seems like there is plenty of data to expose your proposed fraud.

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:36 pm

stillwater wrote:yea, this is unethical. considering they get your transcripts, etc. it seems like there is plenty of data to expose your proposed fraud.

Yeah I understand lol.. I don't even know what I was just thinking.. haha anyway.. let me just think for another moment whether to cancel or not..

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:All the other information about you that LSAC connects? Also the unethical nature of trying to hide your previous scores when everything about the application process asks you to disclose all scores?
Yeah fair enough.. I went blurred lol.. do you have advice on whether to cancel or not btw?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:38 pm

crazyvix wrote:
stillwater wrote:yea, this is unethical. considering they get your transcripts, etc. it seems like there is plenty of data to expose your proposed fraud.

Yeah I understand lol.. I don't even know what I was just thinking.. haha anyway.. let me just think for another moment whether to cancel or not..
i would counsel against canceling unless you really blew it or didnt answer a bunch of questions

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:40 pm

stillwater wrote:i would counsel against canceling unless you really blew it or didnt answer a bunch of questions
I have finished all the Qs tho.. it's just I am almost certainly sure that I underperformed in RC... probably will fall below 170..

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:41 pm

crazyvix wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:All the other information about you that LSAC connects? Also the unethical nature of trying to hide your previous scores when everything about the application process asks you to disclose all scores?
Yeah fair enough.. I went blurred lol.. do you have advice on whether to cancel or not btw?
I wouldn't cancel, but that's because my desire to know how I actually did would override other concerns, not because it's necessarily the best move. But I also don't think HLS has any incentive to disregard a higher score even if it's a retake, and that 167/172 doesn't look any worse than cancel/172 (or whatever you end up getting).

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
crazyvix wrote:
I wouldn't cancel, but that's because my desire to know how I actually did would override other concerns, not because it's necessarily the best move. But I also don't think HLS has any incentive to disregard a higher score even if it's a retake, and that 167/172 doesn't look any worse than cancel/172 (or whatever you end up getting).
Thanks a lot for your advice, I have like 3 or 4 days to consider, I'll do that thoroughly. :)

lawschoolwannabee123

New

Post by lawschoolwannabee123 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:57 pm

From personal anecdotal experience, no, HLS does not average LSAT scores.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:05 pm

lawschoolwannabee123 wrote:From personal anecdotal experience, no, HLS does not average LSAT scores.
It's really surprising to see this consensus that HLS does not average.. Is it true that the "official saying" does not necessarily reflect what they actually do in admission process?

crazyvix

New

Post by crazyvix » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:09 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
crazyvix wrote:
oh btw, what's good about not cancelling tho? I mean international tests are undisclosed, I do not know which Qs I got wrong.. just a score which I am pretty sure won't reach my PT average...

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:19 pm

crazyvix wrote:
lawschoolwannabee123 wrote:From personal anecdotal experience, no, HLS does not average LSAT scores.
It's really surprising to see this consensus that HLS does not average.. Is it true that the "official saying" does not necessarily reflect what they actually do in admission process?
You're misreading. The official stance is that they consider each score individually in addition to the average, not that they consider the average exclusively. If you're looking for anything additional then even cursory perusal of LSN or a utilization of the search function will dissuade you of the notion that HLS takes the "average" into serious consideration. This holds especially true for you; if you were convinced that you got a 150 or something then the advice would be to cancel, but since it seems pretty certain that you're 165+, and possibly 170+ then there's no need for it.

WaltGrace83

Silver

Post by WaltGrace83 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Disclaimer: Anecdotal evidence.

HLS does not average. My friend, a non-URM without any special softs, got into HLS off of the wait list last year. Her LSAT scores were a 160-169.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”