Book that makes the LG section intuitive

McBrunson

Book that makes the LG section intuitive

Postby McBrunson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi TLS,
I took my diagnostic a few days ago and struggled mightily with Logic Games (12/24). Today, I did the section over again and got all the questions correct. However, the games took me an incredibly long time. Every question I did took me around 2-3 minutes to complete since I brute forced my way through the answer choices. I quickly realized that my main problem is diagramming the games in an efficient and effective manner. I just have no control over the game at all, and often have to use hypotheticals to answer every question. Therefore, I'm looking for the best LG book out there that teaches you how to attack the games intuitively. I want these to become fun. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help!

Pneumonia

Re: Book that makes the LG section intuitive

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 pm

They'll become more fun the better you get at them. "Intuitive" is not what you want in a games strategy though- at least not on my reading of your use of "intuitive." Games are methodical, you just need to learn the methods and then it will become reflexive, which may be close to what you mean? Anyway, Blueprint and Powerscore are both good. Whichever book you use you'll end up developing you own methods too, which is good.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Used power score and loved it. A lot of people prefer manhattan I think though.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:14 pm

trainer

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 pm

I started in a similar spot to you.

I have only been drilling LG for a month after going though the LSAT Trainer and I can now do most games quickly. I am not perfect and sometimes I miss questions and sometimes I'll miss an inference or two. But I now know how to diagram, notate rules, and how to go about solving each question (without taking 2-3 minutes on each, which I had to do at the beginning).

1. Get you a strategy book (like the Trainer) and go through it.
2. Get logic games. Make copies. Look at the pithypike method here on TLS.
3. Drill dem games. Watch 7sage explanations.
4. Drill more.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Velocity

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Manhattan LG did it for me. The Trainer might be something you want to look into though.

SnakySalmon

Postby SnakySalmon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:25 pm

In addition to other people's suggestions, I would suggest watching 7Sage videos of the problems you did, and see how he solves them. If he's making some leaps you aren't, that may be what you need to work on. Personally, I found that he splits his diagrams about twice as often as I was, and it saved me a lot of time.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:15 pm

This probably won't help until you're more comfortable with them, but it worked for me once I got the hang of games in general. I chose one or two of each game type, games that I got through well, in the right amount of time, and I did a set of them every time before I did any other practice sets or prep tests, just to warm up. Obviously being great at four or five particular games that you've worked over 50 times isn't going to help you master LG in general, but I found that familiarity with putting the rules from games I knew into play helped me jump start my brain before beginning a new lesson section or timed practice with a game I'd never seen. I averaged -12 when I started studying, went down to -1 or -2 by the time I took the feb test (obviously not just by doing this, but it helped).

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 am

7sage videos. JY's voice was, like, in my head during the test

McBrunson

Postby McBrunson » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:48 am

Clearly wrote:Velocity

Would you be able to elaborate as to why you feel Velocity is a great resource for games? I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 am

jk148706 wrote:7sage videos. JY's voice was, like, in my head during the test

Same here. 7sage haunts my dreams.

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 am

Our book has gotten great reviews, on TLS and elsewhere - I can't link to them without running afoul of the Powers That Be, but I definitely recommend that you check out our Amazon reviews.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”