My Journey to Law School in 2015 and a few questions. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Sam_Spade

New

My Journey to Law School in 2015 and a few questions.

Post by Sam_Spade » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:57 am

My story: :wink:

--------I graduated from college two years ago as a Chemistry major. The Graduate Chemistry program at my university was one of the top 5 in the country (so you can begin guessing where I went). Beginning my junior year I realized that I was more skilled with e-commerce and business -however it was too late to switch into another major so I staid the course. I got through it, but the upper levels of the chem program were amongst the most challenging ventures I've took part in. The program was designed to flunk you and tests were based not on the material you studied but how you could apply it to examples never-before or previously discussed. My small online sales business was going very well and by the start of my senior year, as a one man show, I was clearing well net into six figures and working very little. Upon graduating I brought on more and more clients. Most of them very independently wealthy and some famous. I am fortunate that for the last two years my parents have allowed me to live in a wing of their house all by myself; so as you can probably imagine I've saved up a pretty penny.

Becoming an attorney has something that's always been at the back of my mind. I think back to the 8th grade when I first screened Otto Preminger's "Anatomy of Murder" (1959). Now one of my favorite films, the delicate intricacy of the story and the masterful performance of Jimmy Stewart as attorney Paul Biegler and the great lengths he went to get his client completely exonerated for protecting his wife after she was raped. forever cemented itself in my mind.

My business is based on all kinds of interaction with consumers whether it be product inquires, affairs, point of sale transactions and collections.

My goal with the money I have set aside is to start my own practice /A SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP/ as soon as I get out of Law School.

I have over 2,000 loyal customers on file and want to further tap into my own customer base by providing simple family based law needs; things like personal family matters, probate and estate planning. Some of them have even appointed me sole trustee of assets in their last will should they pass. I plan being licensed in those states to which I already have customers.

I've always enjoyed working FOR and BY myself and plan on keeping it this way to minimize the headaches.

Studying using Powerscore 6pack + PrepTests #40-Present.

MY QUESTION IS:

-If a school begins reviewing October 2014 and the HARD deadline is MARCH 1st 2015, is there any benefit in getting your application in early?

Looking forward to asking lots of questions and engaging in conversations with the forum as I continue to learn.

Cordially,

Sam_Spade======================================================

Cerebro

Bronze

Re: My Journey to Law School in 2015 and a few questions.

Post by Cerebro » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:19 am

The Jonas Brothers will be in town the last week of February next year (reunion tour), so you should plan to submit the apps sooner. In fact, the sooner the better.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:34 am

Thank you for asking about deadlines, perhaps you could provide more background information to help us help you...

Yes, applying early is good, applying at the deadline is bad because schools use rolling admissions (except Yale). By March, a significant portion of the class is already occupied.

Sam_Spade

New

Post by Sam_Spade » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:52 pm

Clearly wrote:Thank you for asking about deadlines, perhaps you could provide more background information to help us help you...

Yes, applying early is good, applying at the deadline is bad because schools use rolling admissions (except Yale). By March, a significant portion of the class is already occupied.
I haven't finalized a definite list of schools I'm applying to. No one is crossed off yet.

That said I'm seriously considering going back to the school where I completed my UG education; for several reasons:

1) As previously mentioned I HATE CHANGE. Familiarity with the campus is also very important to me. The last thing I want is to show up on a deserted island day one of LS not knowing where the good places to go to lunch are or where I can get my dry cleaning done.

2) My UG institutions law school is nationally ranked in the top 25 which is good enough for me. Long ago I realized the chances of me landing on Wall Street or in some other investment banking/ hedge firm partner deal are slim to none. We live in a Darwinian society this isn't the 1980's. You can work your whole life and still not be given that one shot or opportunity. The big time partnership/Wall Street deals just aren't happening anymore and this one of the reasons I decided to go into business for myself. In 2014 if you want to be independently wealthy having to work very little it's entirely up to you. IMO the days of working up the associate poll at B & M or Linklaters and expecting to one day earn millions and millions of dollars are over. You put in your time and one day they either fire you or outsource replace candidates from other firms.

3) Lastly; Politics, whether you like it or not, play a HUGE role in any admissions process. I want to go somewhere where I already have establish connections and if push comes to shove can have multiple people vouch for me and my work ethic. When there's only one admissions spot left and two people are gunning for it who are equally as qualified, they will go off letters of rec. and the candidate they are already familiar with (which reemphasizes point #1 I made earlier). A meaningful phone call between a powerful alumni and the Dean can go a long ways.

Sam_Spade=====================

Sent from my iPad

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 pm

again...we're going to need more information if you are asking for our advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Just apply as early as you can.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:27 pm

1. "tests were based not on the material you studied but how you could apply it to examples never-before or previously discussed."

That describes law school exams pretty well.

2. "My small online sales business was going very well and by the start of my senior year, as a one man show, I was clearing well net into six figures and working very little."

Why would you abandon this to go to law school? Best-reasonable case scenario you will be clearing net six figures just barely and working a very lot. And that's not in a solo firm, that's in a big law firm. Best-reasonable case scenario in a scenario where you start practicing as a solo attorney immediately after law school are much, much less. And that's with lots of hours and lots of risk.

3. "I've saved up a pretty penny."

Take that money and invest it in things besides a law degree. 3 years of interest as well as 3 more years of your high income will put you in a much better place.

4. "I think back to the 8th grade when I first screened Otto Preminger's 'Anatomy of Murder' (1959). Now one of my favorite films, the delicate intricacy of the story and the masterful performance of Jimmy Stewart as attorney Paul Biegler and the great lengths he went to get his client completely exonerated for protecting his wife after she was raped. forever cemented itself in my mind."

I can't emphasize this enough. Real practice is nothing like the movies. You're not going to be Jimmy Stewart or Atticus Finch. Actual practice for young associates and most associates is more something like what you would perceive a librarian, accountant (or other office desk job), or writer. Lots of research and writing.

5. "My goal with the money I have set aside is to start my own practice /A SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP/ as soon as I get out of Law School."

starting your own law firm right out of a law school is not an ideal situation. First, you have no idea how to actually practice law after law school (yes, it is kind of hard to believe). Law school does not train you for the actual day to day practice of law. I can't emphasize that enough. Even if you pull it off, you face likely not very much money and high risk.

6. "I've always enjoyed working FOR and BY myself and plan on keeping it this way to minimize the headaches."

Again, don't go to law school. You aren't going to be reducing any headaches by working for and by yourself.

7. "Most of them very independently wealthy and some famous."

Someone who is rich and famous isn't going to hire someone fresh out of law school with no estate planning experience, especially if we are talking about a rich and complicated estate. And don't forget, you're not just providing a plan for assets, you're also planning for tax avoidance, for healthcare, and for end of life. It's much more complicated than you imagine.

8. "Some of them have even appointed me sole trustee of assets in their last will should they pass."

If it is a will, then they named you executor or administrator or something along those lines. Only if it is a trust will you be a trustee. As an aside, make sure to consult a lawyer when you become trustee as you face liability from this fiduciary position.

9. "If a school begins reviewing October 2014 and the HARD deadline is MARCH 1st 2015, is there any benefit in getting your application in early?"

Yes, almost all schools do rolling admissions, so it is generally considered slightly easier to get in if you apply while more spots are available.

Sam_Spade wrote:My story: :wink:

--------I graduated from college two years ago as a Chemistry major. The Graduate Chemistry program at my university was one of the top 5 in the country (so you can begin guessing where I went). Beginning my junior year I realized that I was more skilled with e-commerce and business -however it was too late to switch into another major so I staid the course. I got through it, but the upper levels of the chem program were amongst the most challenging ventures I've took part in. The program was designed to flunk you and tests were based not on the material you studied but how you could apply it to examples never-before or previously discussed. My small online sales business was going very well and by the start of my senior year, as a one man show, I was clearing well net into six figures and working very little. Upon graduating I brought on more and more clients. Most of them very independently wealthy and some famous. I am fortunate that for the last two years my parents have allowed me to live in a wing of their house all by myself; so as you can probably imagine I've saved up a pretty penny.

Becoming an attorney has something that's always been at the back of my mind. I think back to the 8th grade when I first screened Otto Preminger's "Anatomy of Murder" (1959). Now one of my favorite films, the delicate intricacy of the story and the masterful performance of Jimmy Stewart as attorney Paul Biegler and the great lengths he went to get his client completely exonerated for protecting his wife after she was raped. forever cemented itself in my mind.

My business is based on all kinds of interaction with consumers whether it be product inquires, affairs, point of sale transactions and collections.

My goal with the money I have set aside is to start my own practice /A SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP/ as soon as I get out of Law School.

I have over 2,000 loyal customers on file and want to further tap into my own customer base by providing simple family based law needs; things like personal family matters, probate and estate planning. Some of them have even appointed me sole trustee of assets in their last will should they pass. I plan being licensed in those states to which I already have customers.

I've always enjoyed working FOR and BY myself and plan on keeping it this way to minimize the headaches.

MY QUESTION IS:

-If a school begins reviewing October 2014 and the HARD deadline is MARCH 1st 2015, is there any benefit in getting your application in early?

Looking forward to asking lots of questions and engaging in conversations with the forum as I continue to learn.

Cordially,

HanShotFirst

New

Post by HanShotFirst » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:28 am

flame

Sam_Spade

New

Post by Sam_Spade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:06 am

Thanks for the support. I'm always open to criticism.

I'm doing fine in the asset department. I made sure to diversify early on. I just haven't bought a home yet because I've elected to temporarily stay close to my folks who aren't located near a college. I figured eventually that I'd be going back to school.

Getting a law degree is something that I've always wanted. It would be farce to close my business considering I now work at most once per week. The biggest change will be the hours; I've been going to bed at 6 am and waking up at 3 pm... :roll:

Sam_Spade========================

Sent from my iPad
ph14 wrote:1. "tests were based not on the material you studied but how you could apply it to examples never-before or previously discussed."

That describes law school exams pretty well.

2. "My small online sales business was going very well and by the start of my senior year, as a one man show, I was clearing well net into six figures and working very little."

Why would you abandon this to go to law school? Best-reasonable case scenario you will be clearing net six figures just barely and working a very lot. And that's not in a solo firm, that's in a big law firm. Best-reasonable case scenario in a scenario where you start practicing as a solo attorney immediately after law school are much, much less. And that's with lots of hours and lots of risk.

3. "I've saved up a pretty penny."

Take that money and invest it in things besides a law degree. 3 years of interest as well as 3 more years of your high income will put you in a much better place.

4. "I think back to the 8th grade when I first screened Otto Preminger's 'Anatomy of Murder' (1959). Now one of my favorite films, the delicate intricacy of the story and the masterful performance of Jimmy Stewart as attorney Paul Biegler and the great lengths he went to get his client completely exonerated for protecting his wife after she was raped. forever cemented itself in my mind."

I can't emphasize this enough. Real practice is nothing like the movies. You're not going to be Jimmy Stewart or Atticus Finch. Actual practice for young associates and most associates is more something like what you would perceive a librarian, accountant (or other office desk job), or writer. Lots of research and writing.

5. "My goal with the money I have set aside is to start my own practice /A SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP/ as soon as I get out of Law School."

Starting your own law firm right out of a law school is not an ideal situation. First, you have no idea how to actually practice law after law school (yes, it is kind of hard to believe). Law school does not train you for the actual day to day practice of law. I can't emphasize that enough. Even if you pull it off, you face likely not very much money and high risk.

6. "I've always enjoyed working FOR and BY myself and plan on keeping it this way to minimize the headaches."

Again, don't go to law school. You aren't going to be reducing any headaches by working for and by yourself.

7. "Most of them very independently wealthy and some famous."

Someone who is rich and famous isn't going to hire someone fresh out of law school with no estate planning experience, especially if we are talking about a rich and complicated estate. And don't forget, you're not just providing a plan for assets, you're also planning for tax avoidance, for healthcare, and for end of life. It's much more complicated than you imagine.

8. "Some of them have even appointed me sole trustee of assets in their last will should they pass."

If it is a will, then they named you executor or administrator or something along those lines. Only if it is a trust will you be a trustee. As an aside, make sure to consult a lawyer when you become trustee as you face liability from this fiduciary position.

9. "If a school begins reviewing October 2014 and the HARD deadline is MARCH 1st 2015, is there any benefit in getting your application in early?"

Yes, almost all schools do rolling admissions, so it is generally considered slightly easier to get in if you apply while more spots are available.

MY QUESTION IS:

Cordially,

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sam_Spade

New

Post by Sam_Spade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:37 am

Clearly wrote:again...we're going to need more information if you are asking for our advice.
My only question insofar was if it mattered at what point one subbed their admission packet. It was answered. I'll have all of the required documentation in by October. I've got quite a few schools I'm considering; some of these come to mind.

Duke
North Carolina
Virginia
Wake Forest
Vanderbilt

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:49 am

Sam_Spade wrote:Sam_Spade=====================

Sent from my iPad
So not flame

Sam_Spade

New

Post by Sam_Spade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:56 am

ph14 wrote:

Starting your own law firm right out of a law school is not an ideal situation. First, you have no idea how to actually practice law after law school (yes, it is kind of hard to believe). Law school does not train you for the actual day to day practice of law. I can't emphasize that enough. Even if you pull it off, you face likely not very much money and high risk.
le.

MY QUESTION IS:

Cordially,

I'm aware like any other business there are initial upfront starting costs. The early financing of office space wouldn't be a problem for me as I already own 216 acres of rural farming land that I was planning to build a home on at some point in the near future. I haven't done so yet because of the law school plans and the property as it current sits is taxed as "farm agriculture" -which as you can imagine is 100X fold cheaper than "Zoned Residential". The property sits not far away from a small town. After construction I'd simply put together a game plan as to how I wanted to strategically advertise (Billboards, Large Signs, Google, Directories, ect.) and people will file in. It may take some time, but if you're one of the few in town that can handle their case and the client is completely satisfied with your work, you will begin to build a steady base. In my situation I already have a group of clients so everyone I would be working with at the start of the practice would be technically new. My father was an attorney and since retired owns/runs a funeral home.

Sam_Spade

Sent from my iPad

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:25 am

It's really hard for me to get a read from this post, which is rare. Usually most people fit pretty neatly into a few buckets of candidacy.
  • - You've got the discipline to conquer a STEM major, but a deeply rooted, likely irrationally founded reasoning for going to law school.
    - You have built your own client base that you believe you can further monetize by having a law degree, but you want to use some/most of your savings to pay for that law degree.
    - You want to go to a top law school but go into solo practice.
    - You write like you have hints of some kind of autism spectrum disorder (I don't mean that offensively, but objectively), which leads me to question how effective an advice-giver you'd be ('hate change', 'working for and by myself', etc).
    - You're looking to be licensed in multiple states.
    - An actor's portrayal of a murder trial in the 60s has inspired you to pursue a law degree to give armchair legal advice to your online business customers who don't all live in the state that you're going to law school in.
If this really isn't an elaborate flame, I think on this forum you are very unlikely to get the kind of advice you actually need, and I'm honestly not sure where you could go to ask for this kind of advice. My instinct is that you should stick with your online business and that a law degree for you would be a horrendous investment in both time and money. Dedicating several thousand hours studying at a top law school and paying what presumably will be sticker due to your mention of chemistry kicking your ass late in the degree and your utter unwillingness to relocate sounds like very suspect reasoning to me.

You're going to have to neglect this business you've built in order to pursue this law degree and then build it back up stronger than it was before just to set yourself on a path to break even. Then, you're intentionally aiming to get into the riskiest of risky ventures that is unilaterally understood as a last resort for newly minted JDs.

I just don't get it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sam_Spade

New

Post by Sam_Spade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks for the support and words of encouragement. I think your problem is that you read too far in between the lines.

I wouldn't even be putting a dent in my savings cash flowing ANY law school for 3/4 years. Not even a dent. I wouldn't even feel it.

There; you seemed to care so I just told you.

JazzieShizzle

Bronze

Post by JazzieShizzle » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Sam_Spade wrote:
The property sits not far away from a small town. After construction I'd simply put together a game plan as to how I wanted to strategically advertise (Billboards, Large Signs, Google, Directories, ect.) and people will file in.
If you build it, they will come.

It's that simple.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:11 pm

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:16 pm

Sam_Spade wrote:

I wouldn't even be putting a dent in my savings cash flowing ANY law school for 3/4 years. Not even a dent. I wouldn't even feel it.
Solo practices are risky, but that's mostly because newly-minted JDs have significant debt that requires their immediate attention, as well as insufficient cash reserves to make it through a couple of lean years.

That doesn't sound like it would be the case for you, so if a solo practice is what you want, you're in the best possible position to make it work. Just get your JD "check in the box" wherever makes sense, and good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:18 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Sam_Spade wrote:

Solo practices are risky, but that's mostly because newly-minted JDs have significant debt that requires their immediate attention, as well as insufficient cash reserves to make it through a couple of lean years.

That doesn't sound like it would be the case for you, so if a solo practice is what you want, you're in the best possible position to make it work. Just get your JD "check in the box" wherever makes sense, and good luck!
That's not entirely correct. A large part of it is newly minted JDs, in large part, lack a lot of the skills and knowledge about the day to day practice of law.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:21 pm

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:22 pm

ph14 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
Sam_Spade wrote:

That's not entirely correct. A large part of it is newly minted JDs, in large part, lack a lot of the skills and knowledge about the day to day practice of law.
True, but with significant-enough reserves of cash, I think you can "fake it 'til you make it".

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:23 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BankruptMe

Silver

Post by BankruptMe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:27 pm

it is my understanding (which isnt much) that law school does not actually teach you how to be a lawyer. It teaches you to "think like a lawyer."

If you want to learn how to practice law in law school you have to go to a not so great school, for instance, the top school in my state is T10, but I KnOW they teach law differently than the T1 school in the capitol city. The T1 school can give you the theoretical law education if you want it, or you can select classes solely on how to pass the state bar, and teaches law focused on how to practice within the state, how to set up a law firm, things like that.

Sam_Spade

New

Post by Sam_Spade » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:08 pm

"Taken offensively"...

You write like you have a rock stuck so far up your ass that it requires a nightly preparation h grease by your wife in order to get it out. Maybe it will never come out because your boyfriend fucks you so often in the ass with a strap on.

Chump, let me guess your statement of purpose and written intent of pursuing a JD to the Admin. board mentioned something along the usual lines of:

1. Taking back or bringing "change to Washington"

2. Liberating those wrongly accused inmates sitting on death row at San Quentin

3. Protecting gitmo prisoners who've been violated by certain titles in the Patriot Act

4. Experiencing your own life situation where you felt violated and/or pissed on.

Well you know what? Fuck that. Fuck you're attempt at social conformity and political correctness. I laugh at people like you who play monday armchair quarterback when you're probably living in a two bedroom shack living paycheck to paycheck on $3k per month. Fuck your opinion you condescending piece of shit. Get the fuck out of my thread.

So what? A film inspired me to go back to law school. It's no different than a young basketball player seeing Dewayne Wade and wanting to play college basketball.
cahwc12 wrote:It's really hard for me to get a read from this post, which is rare. Usually most people fit pretty neatly into a few buckets of candidacy.
  • - You write like you have hints of some kind of autism spectrum disorder (I don't mean that offensively, but objectively), which leads me to question how effective an advice-giver you'd be ('hate change', 'working for and by myself', etc).
    - An actor's portrayal of a murder trial in the 60s has inspired you to pursue a law degree to give armchair legal advice to your online business customers who don't all live in the state that you're going to law school in.
You're going to have to neglect this business you've built in order to pursue this law degree and then build it back up stronger than it was before just to set yourself on a path to break even. Then, you're intentionally aiming to get into the riskiest of risky ventures that is unilaterally understood as a last resort for newly minted JDs.

I just don't get it.
Last edited by Sam_Spade on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:10 pm

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Sam_Spade wrote:"Taken offensively"...

You write like you have a rock stuck so far up your ass that it requires a nightly preparation h grease by your wife in order to get it out. Maybe it will never come out because your boyfriend fucks you so often in the ass with a strap on.

Chump, let me guess your statement of purpose and written intent of pursuing a JD to the Admin. board mentioned something along the usual lines of:

1. Taking back or bringing "change to Washington"

2. Liberating those wrongly accused inmates sitting on death row at San Quentin

3. Protecting gitmo prisoners who've been violated by certain titles in the Patriot Act

4. Experiencing your own life situation where you felt violated and/or pissed on.

Well you know what? Fuck that. Fuck you're attempt at social conformity and political correctness. I laugh at people like you who play monday armchair quarterback when you're probably living in a two bedroom shack living paycheck to paycheck on $3k per month. Fuck your opinion you condescending piece of shit.

So what? A film inspired me to go back to law school. It's no different than a young basketball player seeing Dewayne Wade and wanting to play college basketball.
cahwc12 wrote:It's really hard for me to get a read from this post, which is rare. Usually most people fit pretty neatly into a few buckets of candidacy.
  • - You write like you have hints of some kind of autism spectrum disorder (I don't mean that offensively, but objectively), which leads me to question how effective an advice-giver you'd be ('hate change', 'working for and by myself', etc).

I just don't get it.

Wut.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”