diagramming unless/without/until/except

gnomgnomuch

diagramming unless/without/until/except

Postby gnomgnomuch » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Do you guys prefer to change the word to "if not" (making it a sufficient condition), or take it as a necessary condition, and then negate the other clause in the sentence?

I find the first method a bit convoluted, and sometimes sticky, whereas the 2nd method seems to work perfectly fine.

FlyingNorth

Re: diagramming unless/without/until/except

Postby FlyingNorth » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:36 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:Do you guys prefer to change the word to "if not" (making it a sufficient condition), or take it as a necessary condition, and then negate the other clause in the sentence?

I find the first method a bit convoluted, and sometimes sticky, whereas the 2nd method seems to work perfectly fine.

I do the second method, but go with whatever is easiest for you to understand and remember.

generalmead

Postby generalmead » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:37 pm

I agree. Negating the first clause and keeping the "unless/without" clause in the necessary condition is my go-to method. The most important thing, however, is flexibility and an intuitive grasp of contapositives, especially in sufficient assumption questions and the occasional moment when "unless" indicators come up in LG rules.

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:56 pm

I began my LSAT studies with a Blueprint course, so I've always used the "if not" method. That said, I really like it and don't find it to be convoluted - do you have any examples?

I do find that students sometimes don't realize that they may need to rearrange the sentence (so they'll diagram "X if not Y" as X --> ~Y), but that's more of a misunderstanding about sufficiency vs. necessity.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”