Law Advisor at My College

ScrewMick180
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Law Advisor at My College

Postby ScrewMick180 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:02 am

Spoke with her today and told her that I will be taking a diagnostic within the next couple of days. The idiot then informed me that people rarely improve their diagnostic score by more than 5+ points. Seriously, why the hell did she tell me this? Isn't her job to instill confidence?
Last edited by ScrewMick180 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
thevuch
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby thevuch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:03 am

ScrewMick180 wrote:Spoke with her today and told her that I will be taking a diagnostic within the next couple of days. The idiot then informed me that people rarely improve their diagnostic score by more than 5+ points. Seriously, why the hell did she tell me this? Isn't her job to instill confidence?
She then went on to tell me that I should have realistic goals: "don't aim for the T-10, instead try getting into a T-40 school." Almost died of laughter after hearing this. I'd rather be flipping burgers at Burger King than attend any school not in the T-20. She must have never heard of TLS.
Really feel bad for the students at my college who listen to this clown.



fdb bro

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:05 am

You really should tone it down. Not to sing the praises of pre-law advisors or anything, but it sounds like you're mad at her for sharing a fact with you?

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:07 am

ScrewMick180 wrote:Spoke with her today and told her that I will be taking a diagnostic within the next couple of days. The idiot then informed me that people rarely improve their diagnostic score by more than 5+ points. Seriously, why the hell did she tell me this? Isn't her job to instill confidence?
She then went on to tell me that I should have realistic goals: "don't aim for the T-10, instead try getting into a T-40 school." Almost died of laughter after hearing this. I'd rather be flipping burgers at Burger King than attend any school not in the T-20. She must have never heard of TLS.
Really feel bad for the students at my college who listen to this clown.

are you trained in gorilla warfare, by chance?

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby Fianna13 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:20 am

please calm down...

ScrewMick180
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby ScrewMick180 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 am

Fianna13 wrote:please calm down...

Nope.

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:00 am

You sound like a fucking prick

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby Clearly » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:02 am

The fact that you think anyone has the career task of instilling confidence in you is funny.

ScrewMick180
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby ScrewMick180 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:09 am

I'm loving all the responses, keep them coming. All I'm saying is that it would have been nice to hear words of encouragement. Really don't know why people are making a big deal. If I sounded like a prick, I apologize. Her advice was terrible (T-40?), and as someone who's about to begin his LSAT prep, I really didn't appreciate it.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby Clearly » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:14 am

Yeah her advice isn't great, but your reaction to it is worse... You haven't even taken a diagnostic, how about you drop the everyone not in T10 is pathetic shtick until you see if you deserve to take that position.

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:22 am

Clearly wrote:Yeah her advice isn't great, but your reaction to it is worse... You haven't even taken a diagnostic, how about you drop the everyone not in T10 is pathetic shtick until you see if you deserve to take that position.


+1

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby dowu » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 am

Op has a point.. A lot of pre law advisors are worthless

With that being said, I don't give a fuck

ScrewMick180
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby ScrewMick180 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:30 am

Clearly wrote:Yeah her advice isn't great, but your reaction to it is worse... You haven't even taken a diagnostic, how about you drop the everyone not in T10 is pathetic shtick until you see if you deserve to take that position.


Realized your 100% right. I've edited my post, and sorry if my initial comments seemed pompous and arrogant. Just trying to underscore the point that some pre-law advisors aren't really that helpful.

User avatar
HanShotFirst
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:05 am

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby HanShotFirst » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:52 am

ITT: A neckbeard who will score 145 on his diagnostic attacks pre-law advisor

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby flash21 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:53 am

I'm not actually sure, but this "most people only score 5 points above diagnostic" may actually be a true statement.

sure lots of people improve .. but I think more may actually not, she may have just told you the truth

User avatar
ZGr88n
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby ZGr88n » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:44 am

flash21 wrote:I'm not actually sure, but this "most people only score 5 points above diagnostic" may actually be a true statement.

sure lots of people improve .. but I think more may actually not, she may have just told you the truth


It probably is a true statement, but I think that it is largely due to the fact that the majority of takers don't study like they should (maybe?).

User avatar
PattyCake
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby PattyCake » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 am

Sounds like someone doing their job. I'll just share what my sister told me years ago when I asked her what her first year of law school was like (she went to a T14): "It's fine, as long as you can find a way to balance absolute confidence in your abilities with the knowledge that you are always - always - wrong." I would just try to keep an open mind and consider that your advisor may know a little something about what she's talking about - it's a skill that will serve you well wherever you end up attending.

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby flash21 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:29 am

ZGr88n wrote:
flash21 wrote:I'm not actually sure, but this "most people only score 5 points above diagnostic" may actually be a true statement.

sure lots of people improve .. but I think more may actually not, she may have just told you the truth


It probably is a true statement, but I think that it is largely due to the fact that the majority of takers don't study like they should (maybe?).


Yep, I agree.

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby 90convoy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:35 am

I hate people that circulate statistics like this. Statistics don't mean anything

User avatar
Fiero85
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:38 am

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:40 am

90convoy wrote:I hate people that circulate statistics like this. Statistics don't mean anything


Would you say, 100% of statistics don't mean anything? :D

(Just messing with you)

Stats have their place but are heavily misused. That being said, plenty of people on here have gone to the opposite extreme and taken the special snowflake "I'm always gonna be above average no matter what" stance which is just as bad

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Stupid Law Advisor at My College

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 am

thevuch wrote:
ScrewMick180 wrote:Spoke with her today and told her that I will be taking a diagnostic within the next couple of days. The idiot then informed me that people rarely improve their diagnostic score by more than 5+ points. Seriously, why the hell did she tell me this? Isn't her job to instill confidence?
She then went on to tell me that I should have realistic goals: "don't aim for the T-10, instead try getting into a T-40 school." Almost died of laughter after hearing this. I'd rather be flipping burgers at Burger King than attend any school not in the T-20. She must have never heard of TLS.
Really feel bad for the students at my college who listen to this clown.



fdb bro



lolol


In all honesty though, their job is to get you into law school. Period. For example, my old pre-law advisor went to GULC. I told her I wanted to work at S&C...she said. Do not go under T14, get all A's and get a 165+ on your LSAT. Now if you want to be a regular lawyer maybe you should look at "TTTTTTT University of Law" right here...

Most kids have no clue about law. So they will listen to whatever the advisor says

User avatar
cloy26
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby cloy26 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:40 pm

HanShotFirst wrote:ITT: A neckbeard who will score 145 on his diagnostic attacks pre-law advisor


This.

lawschool2014hopeful
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:04 pm

People on TLS are funny really

They feel like after reading few success stories they are entitled to success or a great score and anything less than what they have seen on the internet is pathetic.

Your advisor might have been referring to the retake statistics, that most people increase their score by 2pts on their retake.

I feel like reading TLS sometimes function similarly to listening to a Tony Robbins speech, you get temporarily pumped up only to be disappointed days later.

User avatar
goldenboy514
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby goldenboy514 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Pre-Law advisors probably wont give you anymore help then reading TLS, but heed their words carefully. While most test takers don't improve more then a few points. most test takers dont put in the time and effort as is needed to score high. TLS is exactly what its name suggests, its a site where those most often looking at the T14 lurk to look for advise and converse about their study habits/admissions journey.
Pre-Law advisors speak to a plethora of students, and not all of them will put in the time or dedication that you may. I give everyone a little credit who is a member of TLS, because at least they did a little research and want to find some info out on their own. But understand, if your pre-law advisor speaks to ~25 students a year, and 20 take the LSAT, then most likely the majority wont attend a top school and the majority wont improve their score more then a few points. Going to a top 40 school for most is a great goal, and though it may not be your goal, it is for some. I bet that 90% of the students your pre-law advisor speaks to would be estatic with a T-40.

On a final note, I met with my pre-law advisor one time, and never reached out to him after that. This was in the early stages of my law school journey, only a junior in undergrad. He pretty much tried to just alert me of the dangers of law school and the legal market, and give me an idea of what I would be getting into. Though a pessimistic converstation overall, it is one that all need to hear. Not everyone is a TLS lurker/poaster, and not everyone understands what they're getting into.

User avatar
BankruptMe
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Re: Law Advisor at My College

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:20 pm

goldenboy514 wrote:Pre-Law advisors probably wont give you anymore help then reading TLS, but heed their words carefully. While most test takers don't improve more then a few points. most test takers dont put in the time and effort as is needed to score high. TLS is exactly what its name suggests, its a site where those most often looking at the T14 lurk to look for advise and converse about their study habits/admissions journey.
Pre-Law advisors speak to a plethora of students, and not all of them will put in the time or dedication that you may. I give everyone a little credit who is a member of TLS, because at least they did a little research and want to find some info out on their own. But understand, if your pre-law advisor speaks to ~25 students a year, and 20 take the LSAT, then most likely the majority wont attend a top school and the majority wont improve their score more then a few points. Going to a top 40 school for most is a great goal, and though it may not be your goal, it is for some. I bet that 90% of the students your pre-law advisor speaks to would be estatic with a T-40.

On a final note, I met with my pre-law advisor one time, and never reached out to him after that. This was in the early stages of my law school journey, only a junior in undergrad. He pretty much tried to just alert me of the dangers of law school and the legal market, and give me an idea of what I would be getting into. Though a pessimistic converstation overall, it is one that all need to hear. Not everyone is a TLS lurker/poaster, and not everyone understands what they're getting into.


Your lucky you got that. Some pre-law advisors will push you into law school, because that is what they are hired to do. Market be damned




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hopeful5, jonny27, Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests