Am I screwed?

Lsataddict175

Am I screwed?

Postby Lsataddict175 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Here's the situation:
I've been studying for the June exam for the last several months. I never took a cold diagnostic but I've taken multiple sections timed in LR and LG.
LR for me is a joke, and I usually go -1,-2.
LG has been a struggle, but I've been making improvements. My accuracy is high, but I just can't seem to finish all the games within 35 minutes.
And then RC. I decided on Friday to take the June 07' RC section timed. This was my first ever RC timed section. I did really well on the verbal section of the SAT, so I figured that it would be in my best interest to focus on the other two sections before practicing RC. Wow, do I regret that decision. I got -11 on that section. The passages seemed really easy, but I just found it extremely difficult to finish all the questions within 35 minutes. I left out 1 question, and had to guess on around 4 questions. Only had 5 minutes left for the last passage. AM I SCREWED? To make matters even worse, I've read that the June 07' RC was unusually easy. What did you guys get on your first ever RC section? How should I proceed from here? I'm hoping that others did just as poorly on their first RC section; it'll make me feel better. Just want to emphasize that I didn't find the questions difficult, rather it was the time that killed me. I realize that you have to be extremely quick and efficient. Any response on what I should do from here would be greatly appreciated. And to all those who took the LSAT today, I hope you killed it!

PattyCake

Re: Am I screwed?

Postby PattyCake » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Lsataddict175 wrote:Here's the situation:
I've been studying for the June exam for the last several months. I never took a cold diagnostic but I've taken multiple sections timed in LR and LG.
LR for me is a joke, and I usually go -1,-2.
LG has been a struggle, but I've been making improvements. My accuracy is high, but I just can't seem to finish all the games within 35 minutes.
And then RC. I decided on Friday to take the June 07' RC section timed. This was my first ever RC timed section. I did really well on the verbal section of the SAT, so I figured that it would be in my best interest to focus on the other two sections before practicing RC. Wow, do I regret that decision. I got -11 on that section. The passages seemed really easy, but I just found it extremely difficult to finish all the questions within 35 minutes. I left out 1 question, and had to guess on around 4 questions. Only had 5 minutes left for the last passage. AM I SCREWED? To make matters even worse, I've read that the June 07' RC was unusually easy. What did you guys get on your first ever RC section? How should I proceed from here? I'm hoping that others did just as poorly on their first RC section; it'll make me feel better. Just want to emphasize that I didn't find the questions difficult, rather it was the time that killed me. I realize that you have to be extremely quick and efficient. Any response on what I should do from here would be greatly appreciated. And to all those who took the LSAT today, I hope you killed it!

Of all the sections I would say RC is the hardest to improve upon, but in your case it might just be a timing issue. By the time you're in college or beyond your basic ability with reading comp is pretty much established. You might improve if you work really hard, but personally I would recommend reading for pleasure a LOT rather than focusing on LSAT sections. If it's really an issue of skill you won't likely pick it up just by looking at LSAT materials. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but that's my take.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:25 pm

You'll be fine. Practice a bunch. I don't remember my original RC scores, but I think they were typically -4, and I got them to -0. I've had many students who went from getting about 60% to about 80-90% (so about -11 to about -3/-4). It's definitely possible to do even better than that, especially if it's just a time thing.

RC is a little slow to improve, slower than LG, so don't get frustrated if you don't see immediate large jumps. It will happen, but you have to adjust to reading the LSAT, not reading whatever it is that you normally read, and that takes a lot of practice. You have plenty of time before June, though.

I would strongly recommend against what the previous poster recommended. If you got a high SAT Reading/Verbal score, you probably already have strong fundamentals. You don't need to read more. You need to get used to the LSAT.

Oh, and don't just burn through RC sections. You have to review them in at least as much detail as you review games. Figure out what it was that you misread or read too slow, find patterns in the kinds of things that suck up too much time, and adjust.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:43 am

tomwatts wrote:You'll be fine. Practice a bunch. I don't remember my original RC scores, but I think they were typically -4, and I got them to -0. I've had many students who went from getting about 60% to about 80-90% (so about -11 to about -3/-4). It's definitely possible to do even better than that, especially if it's just a time thing.

RC is a little slow to improve, slower than LG, so don't get frustrated if you don't see immediate large jumps. It will happen, but you have to adjust to reading the LSAT, not reading whatever it is that you normally read, and that takes a lot of practice. You have plenty of time before June, though.

I would strongly recommend against what the previous poster recommended. If you got a high SAT Reading/Verbal score, you probably already have strong fundamentals. You don't need to read more. You need to get used to the LSAT.

Oh, and don't just burn through RC sections. You have to review them in at least as much detail as you review games. Figure out what it was that you misread or read too slow, find patterns in the kinds of things that suck up too much time, and adjust.

When I said reading for pleasure I was referring to literature and nonfiction, not just any old thing. And I don't think you should ignore practice sections but I think focusing on them exclusively doesn't tend to help in many cases. I would practice with LSAT passages as much as you practice any other section, but start reading in your spare time instead of going out or watching tv. You'd be amazed how much you start to adapt to being "a reader" when you do it often enough. And I took the review for granted, that's just a basic prep requirement.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:56 am

Buy MLSATs RC guide.
Also, the single best way to get better at RC on the LSAT is to do actual LSAT RC sections :roll:

HanShotFirst

Postby HanShotFirst » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:38 am

You've been studying for months and haven't taken a single full preptest?

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:17 am

bro, you need to chill. don't freak out. try to not focus so much on "MY GOD 34 min left..33 min..32min.."

RC is my weakest section, i had a panic attack at the actual LSAT on a real RC section LOL so trust me when i say i know the fear. i cannot share any personal success story with you because i never managed to get RC where i want it to be. but here's what i can tell you.

reading it the way you read SAT passages is not right.

most passages you read on LSAT will be argument passages where the writer is trying to make a point. there will be sides (or at least comparisons in perspectives.) know the differences in perspectives. compare contrast. notice the TONE of the writer (support? hate? doesn't care?) -> this would help you with picking out specific wordings of the answer choices.

also, don't linger on one specific question if you have no idea what its asking the first 2 skimming over question. every question weighs the same. if you linger, you eat up time. know what question type you are good at. make sure you cut down time on those question types. when uncertain about answer choices, always eliminate wrong answers instead of picking the "it" question,and don't ever COMPARE the remaining answer choices.

i think you need to figure out what is taking up your time. your reading(3-4 min reading and 4-5 min answering questions)? reading not enough? reading wrong?

and yes, read for pleasure. read some dense stuff. legit magazines (such as economist, atlantic..)

best of luck. (by the time you are where i am -at the other side of the rainbow- you will look back and say, damn...i was stressed. it will all be over bro)

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:02 am

eliztudorr wrote:bro, you need to chill. don't freak out. try to not focus so much on "MY GOD 34 min left..33 min..32min.."

RC is my weakest section, i had a panic attack at the actual LSAT on a real RC section LOL so trust me when i say i know the fear. i cannot share any personal success story with you because i never managed to get RC where i want it to be. but here's what i can tell you.

reading it the way you read SAT passages is not right.

most passages you read on LSAT will be argument passages where the writer is trying to make a point. there will be sides (or at least comparisons in perspectives.) know the differences in perspectives. compare contrast. notice the TONE of the writer (support? hate? doesn't care?) -> this would help you with picking out specific wordings of the answer choices.

also, don't linger on one specific question if you have no idea what its asking the first 2 skimming over question. every question weighs the same. if you linger, you eat up time. know what question type you are good at. make sure you cut down time on those question types. when uncertain about answer choices, always eliminate wrong answers instead of picking the "it" question,and don't ever COMPARE the remaining answer choices.

i think you need to figure out what is taking up your time. your reading(3-4 min reading and 4-5 min answering questions)? reading not enough? reading wrong?

and yes, read for pleasure. read some dense stuff. legit magazines (such as economist, atlantic..)

best of luck. (by the time you are where i am -at the other side of the rainbow- you will look back and say, damn...i was stressed. it will all be over bro)

+1 for all that, and add the suggestion of articles from anthropology journals (the American anthropological assoc has a really good newsletter). There is usually a social science or art passage, and anthropology journals are a good way to gain exposure to that whole genre.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”