LSAT-effected Eye Issues

McAvoy

LSAT-effected Eye Issues

Postby McAvoy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm taking this Saturday and am having serious eye issues. I work full time (staring at a computer) and have been spending essentially all of my free time studying, and I'm now unable to really open my eyes fully without tearing up by about noon. I had the same thing happen last time I took the test; I'm pretty certain it's just the cumulative result of overuse.

Is anyone else having bad eye overuse problems, or have had them in the past? Any tips to alleviate it? I appreciate any help!

rinkrat19

Re: LSAT-effected Eye Issues

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Uh, go to the doctor? LSAT or not, that's not normal.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Uh, go to the doctor? LSAT or not, that's not normal.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Maybe I exaggerated -- not tearing up, but constant welling up with relatively painful straining.

It's really not normal? It happened both times I've done the LSAT and when I was in the home stretch of my thesis. So maybe 14 hours every day of constant eye use for weeks at a time. It's not normal to get these problems?

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:10 pm

I seem to recall that years ago someone made a great, detailed post on TLS about how to deal with eye strain, but I can't find it now --

I have a lot of eye problems, similar to what you describe (and for the same reasons) --

Two short term suggestions --

1) get this -- http://www.amazon.com/Systane-Balance-L ... =eye+drops

2) for me, the symptoms are most extreme when i go from areas of dark to areas of bright -- if i'm working in my office all day, then go out driving somewhere, that's when it's the worst -- the concern with the lsat is that you get in there in the morning, and then the room will get brighter and brighter -- you certainly don't want to be distracted by eye strain -- one possibility is taking in sunglasses, or light-adjusting sunglasses -- i tried to look on the lsac site and couldn't figure out if they are permitted or not (so make sure to get the okay first), but, again, if your situation is similar to mine, limiting the amount of light your eyes have to deal with may be a way to get through the exam --

HTH and good luck -- Mike

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:24 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote:I seem to recall that years ago someone made a great, detailed post on TLS about how to deal with eye strain, but I can't find it now --

I have a lot of eye problems, similar to what you describe (and for the same reasons) --

2) for me, the symptoms are most extreme when i go from areas of dark to areas of bright -- if i'm working in my office all day, then go out driving somewhere, that's when it's the worst -- the concern with the lsat is that you get in there in the morning, and then the room will get brighter and brighter -- you certainly don't want to be distracted by eye strain -- one possibility is taking in sunglasses, or light-adjusting sunglasses -- i tried to look on the lsac site and couldn't figure out if they are permitted or not (so make sure to get the okay first), but, again, if your situation is similar to mine, limiting the amount of light your eyes have to deal with may be a way to get through the exam --

Thanks, Mike! I'll search around a little for that post.

I'll try these drops -- I've used a couple different kinds of Visine, but they don't seem to do anything. There's definitely a brightness component for me, too. I've basically turned my office in to a dungeon the past few weeks, so I can save my eyes for studying under florescent light.

I kind of get a fresh start eye wise every morning until I use my eyes enough, so I was fine my first test until about the fifth section, where it became a pretty big distraction. I woke up very early that day to try and be awake for a while before the test; maybe I'll try delaying that a bit more this time around.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:Maybe I exaggerated -- not tearing up, but constant welling up with relatively painful straining.

It's really not normal? It happened both times I've done the LSAT and when I was in the home stretch of my thesis. So maybe 14 hours every day of constant eye use for weeks at a time. It's not normal to get these problems?

No, it's not normal. I've stared at a computer for 16+ hours a day for 10+ years and my eyes only act up when I need to get new contacts. And even then, they don't do what you're describing.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:34 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:Maybe I exaggerated -- not tearing up, but constant welling up with relatively painful straining.

No, it's not normal. I've stared at a computer for 16+ hours a day for 10+ years and my eyes only act up when I need to get new contacts. And even then, they don't do what you're describing.

All right then, I'm probably close to due for an eye checkup, at any rate. My condolences on your work load. :(

Ambi-Turner

Postby Ambi-Turner » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:36 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
The LSAT Trainer wrote:I seem to recall that years ago someone made a great, detailed post on TLS about how to deal with eye strain, but I can't find it now --

Thanks, Mike! I'll search around a little for that post.

I'll try these drops -- I've used a couple different kinds of Visine, but they don't seem to do anything. There's definitely a brightness component for me, too. I've basically turned my office in to a dungeon the past few weeks, so I can save my eyes for studying under florescent light.

I kind of get a fresh start eye wise every morning until I use my eyes enough, so I was fine my first test until about the fifth section, where it became a pretty big distraction. I woke up very early that day to try and be awake for a while before the test; maybe I'll try delaying that a bit more this time around.

Visine only really works for redness reduction, and not much else. You should definitely see an ophthalmologist though. Short term solutions are fine for the LSAT, but you don't want to cause permanent damage to your eyes by ignoring the issue!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

All right then, I'm probably close to due for an eye checkup, at any rate. My condolences on your work load. :(

Eh, that's a 8-5 job and having no life. :P

flippacious

Postby flippacious » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:52 pm

I would recommend seeing a doctor eventually, because serious eye strain probably isn't normal and I imagine you'll be putting your eyes under a lot of stress in law school. I have pretty bad eyesight, very dry eyes, work a 9-5 in front of a computer, and also got some strain toward the end of studying. For two days it hurt to move my eyes in any pronounced way. It was a muscular type hurt, and it was definitely from stress/strain. Went away with two days off from studying.

My eye doctor told me to never use Visine, it makes dry eyes worse. I second the recommendation for Systane, and also recommend Blink. Those were the two brands recommended to me by my eye doctor. Blink works better for me than Systane, but I'm pretty sure they have the same active ingredient (but different preservatives maybe? I don't remember).

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:05 pm

I also have a severe astigmatism and anisometropia, and pretty poor binocular vision. Whenever I've brought up eye strain in the past, I basically get a non-answer and am told that lenses are simply going to cause strain when I try hard to focus. As my focus durations are never too prolonged in normal circumstances, it's always something I've just fought through. I'll have to talk with a doctor about dealing with it better, at the least, as, like you say, law school will require this level of strain for months at a time.

Thanks for the tips on drops, I'll throw out the visine!

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:25 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:I also have a severe astigmatism and anisometropia, and pretty poor binocular vision. Whenever I've brought up eye strain in the past, I basically get a non-answer and am told that lenses are simply going to cause strain when I try hard to focus. As my focus durations are never too prolonged in normal circumstances, it's always something I've just fought through. I'll have to talk with a doctor about dealing with it better, at the least, as, like you say, law school will require this level of strain for months at a time.

btw - just a quick note -- i think the drops i suggested are not for people who wear contacts, so (as i'm sure you would) you should investigate further b4 deciding -- i also second that blink is awesome (reminds me i should get some more of that too).

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:38 pm

The LSAT Trainer wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:I also have a severe astigmatism and anisometropia, and pretty poor binocular vision. Whenever I've brought up eye strain in the past, I basically get a non-answer and am told that lenses are simply going to cause strain when I try hard to focus. As my focus durations are never too prolonged in normal circumstances, it's always something I've just fought through. I'll have to talk with a doctor about dealing with it better, at the least, as, like you say, law school will require this level of strain for months at a time.

btw - just a quick note -- i think the drops i suggested are not for people who wear contacts, so (as i'm sure you would) you should investigate further b4 deciding -- i also second that blink is awesome (reminds me i should get some more of that too).

Thanks for letting me know, but, by lenses, I meant glasses. With my astigmatism I have to use weighted contacts, and they always slide everywhere and get very blurry. I'll probably try both of those, then!

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:39 pm

You should definitely see a doctor at some point soon. Astigmatism can potentially put you at much greater risk for a detached retina. Not a big deal if you catch damage early, but it can cause SERIOUS issues if you let it go untreated, especially if you continue to strain your eyes. I'm sure this is just stress and overuse, but I would go in for a check up to be sure if it was me.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Hey! check out flex http://justgetflux.com/. It adjusts the lighting on your computer automatically. Ive been using it for a while and it really makes a difference. So, basically, it adjusts the light so that your eye does not strain that much. Give it a go, it might take a day or two to get used to it, and after that you will be used to it.

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:07 pm

I've heard stories of dedicated LSATers that have lost their eyesight and as a result others senses became stronger, such as the ability to actually smell the LSAT.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:14 pm

deebanger wrote:Hey! check out flex http://justgetflux.com/. It adjusts the lighting on your computer automatically. Ive been using it for a while and it really makes a difference. So, basically, it adjusts the light so that your eye does not strain that much. Give it a go, it might take a day or two to get used to it, and after that you will be used to it.

I find the yellowish cast really annoying. It makes me feel like my eyes are gradually failing. I tried it for about a week and uninstalled it.

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:36 pm

My eyes used to get pretty sore when I was studying for it, doc told me to occasionally look up and focus on something far away for a couple seconds and it seemed to help.

akg144

Postby akg144 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:42 pm

I likewise experienced severe eye issues post-LASIC while working at a place that required extensive computer work and LSAT studies in addition - I highly recommend Refresh Tears

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041E ... UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps!

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:15 pm

akg144 wrote:I likewise experienced severe eye issues post-LASIC while working at a place that required extensive computer work and LSAT studies in addition - I highly recommend Refresh Tears

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041E ... UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps!

I was studying for the LSAT one month after my LASIC surgery this past June :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”