February 2014 Waiters

How will you celebrate - slash - wallow in despair after score release? (select all that apply)

I shall drink a great many alcohols!
25%
I'm going to finally SLEEP.
11%
I'm going to get sexed something crazy.
11%
No time for celebration -- MUST STRESS OVER APPLICASHUNS!
7%
I'll console myself with logic games.
3%
Eat. So much.
11%
Celebratory/Numb-the-Pain shopping!
8%
Finally stop avoiding my family and their constant questions!
11%
Cracker Barrel. (this one's basically here just so I can select it.)
12%

Total votes: 122

rilakkuma

Re: February 2014 Waiters

Postby rilakkuma » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 pm

So for those with 3 LR, was it 26 25 26 q? Or 25 25 26? My memory fails...

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:13 pm

I think it was two 25s

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:03 pm

Thinking about getting a game on my laptop (even though I'm normally a console person) to tide me over until Titanfall which unfortunately is coming out after scores. Anyone have suggestions? Or all we all not-nerds here?

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:04 pm

xylocarp wrote:Thinking about getting a game on my laptop (even though I'm normally a console person) to tide me over until Titanfall which unfortunately is coming out after scores. Anyone have suggestions? Or all we all not-nerds here?

starcraft 2

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:10 pm

thevuch wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Thinking about getting a game on my laptop (even though I'm normally a console person) to tide me over until Titanfall which unfortunately is coming out after scores. Anyone have suggestions? Or all we all not-nerds here?

starcraft 2

I can't do Starcraft, LoL or WoW. I just... can't.

Epitome

Postby Epitome » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:11 pm

I keep visualising a 142 score - :cry:

I need something to make stop thinking so much. Spending hours watching YouTube vids just isn't working. Le sigh

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Only a nerd in the academic sense here...Robert Gates came out with a new book. Looks worth reading.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:20 pm

You could always start reading leews.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:22 pm

BankruptMe wrote:Only a nerd in the academic sense here...Robert Gates came out with a new book. Looks worth reading.

hah "books"

No I'm just kidding, I'm normally a reader but I just need something mindless for a bit after all that LSAT studying.

Nicolena. wrote:You could always start reading leews.

LOL

Lwoods1020

Postby Lwoods1020 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:45 pm

90convoy wrote:I think it was two 25s

i had two 26'S

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:46 pm

OooOOoOOo!!! Pick me!!

So, what have you played before? You could do something small like LIMBO, very dark, under six hours.

What to absolutely shit your pants in horror? Amnesia.

There's always Civ. There was a really nice Humble Bundle of Civ 4, 5 and stuff recently.

Or Portal. Portal is amazing, and has nice little logic puzzles.

Any of the above.

TLS2011

Postby TLS2011 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:50 pm

Zhenders, I'm not sure this helps, but I contacted them and they told me I would get an email today or tomorrow. Better than not knowing when. I am pretty certain it will be the 22nd.

Nicolena, thanks for the encouragement. I am hoping to study some tonight and then probably kick it in gear starting tomorrow. I will take advantage of this and try to work out some kinks with certain types of problems. Good luck.

random number

Postby random number » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:54 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:

OooOOoOOo!!! Pick me!!

So, what have you played before? You could do something small like LIMBO, very dark, under six hours.

There's always Civ. There was a really nice Humble Bundle of Civ 4, 5 and stuff recently.

Any of the above.

I'll vote for either The Orange Box or Civ 5. If you have an inordinate amount of time to waste, get Skyrim. Steam had a sale on the legendary edition recently.

Xylo - what do you think of the Xbox One so far? I decided to hold off on getting one as all of my friends are still on the 360.

Edit: Also, Bioshock Infinite.

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:10 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:

OooOOoOOo!!! Pick me!!

Any of the above.

Yay suggestions! I've heard LIMBO is awesome, but then I'm definitely NOT looking for a quick play. I've played Portal on console.

So, Amnesia or Civ. The Civ Humble Bundle is actually what got me thinking about getting a game in the first place, but I've never played anything turn-based so I don't know. I was also thinking about a city-building game, but games like that tend to cause me to over-play for like 2 days and then go through an existential crisis...

random number wrote:I'll vote for either The Orange Box or Civ 5. If you have an inordinate amount of time to waste, get Skyrim. Steam had a sale on the legendary edition recently.

Xylo - what do you think of the Xbox One so far? I decided to hold off on getting one as all of my friends are still on the 360.

Edit: Also, Bioshock Infinite.

Civ is looking good. Never heard of Orange Box, what is that?

Yeah, the Elder Scrolls/Fallout types are my favorite games ever. Between Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, I've probably put in like a month of gameplay hours... yikes. Infinite was awesome too.

I like the Xbox One, but I use it a lot for non-gaming things. As an entertainment console, it really is awesome and unlike anything else on the market right now. It makes being lazy so much more convenient; I just walk into my apartment and say "Xbox on" and it turns itself and my TV on; then I walk by and it recognizes my face and logs me in, etc... I thought maybe that sort of thing would just be a novelty but it actually is really convenient on a daily basis. Having it hooked up to the cable box is nice too; now I don't even have to go through the process of changing inputs haha. It’s the type of technology that makes me think that the dystopian future depicted in Wall-E where we’re all obese and fly around on giant comfy chairs is actually not that improbable.

Gaming-wise, I mean, it's a next gen console haha. Nobody needs the One right now, but slowly people will switch over.

Did you play GTA V?

withoutapaddle

Postby withoutapaddle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Battlefield is an awesome game

Also as far as computer games go LOL is pretty sweet and it's free

random number

Postby random number » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:18 pm

xylocarp wrote:Civ is looking good. Never heard of Orange Box, what is that?

Yeah, the Elder Scrolls/Fallout types are my favorite games ever. Between Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, I've probably put in like a month of gameplay hours... yikes. Infinite was awesome too.

I like the Xbox One, but I use it a lot for non-gaming things. As an entertainment console, it really is awesome and unlike anything else on the market right now. It makes being lazy so much more convenient; I just walk into my apartment and say "Xbox on" and it turns itself and my TV on; then I walk by and it recognizes my face and logs me in, etc... I thought maybe that sort of thing would just be a novelty but it actually is really convenient on a daily basis. Having it hooked up to the cable box is nice too; now I don't even have to go through the process of changing inputs haha. It’s the type of technology that makes me think that the dystopian future depicted in Wall-E where we’re all obese and fly around on giant comfy chairs is actually not that improbable.

Gaming-wise, I mean, it's a next gen console haha. Nobody needs the One right now, but slowly people will switch over.

Did you play GTA V?

Orange Box is a bundle with Portal, TF2, and all of the Half-Lifes. I would definitely go with the Civ bundle though - It was my first turn based game too, and it is absolutely fantastic. I have a ton of fun playing around with different map types, world leaders, and victory strategies. The DLC is really good too. I haven't played GTA - I prefer more focused games (Skryim being the exception).

Good to know about the Xbox - I'll probably wait until my 360 dies before upgrading though.

zatharus

Postby zatharus » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:21 pm

I had heard that being a non-traditional applicant really didn't make much of a difference when it came to low Undergrad GPA's since the schools have to report them regardless. Am I perhaps missing something?

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Lwoods1020 wrote:

i had two 26'S

No way? I had LR experimental and this isn't what I had

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm

random number wrote:
xylocarp wrote:Civ is looking good. Never heard of Orange Box, what is that?

Did you play GTA V?

Orange Box is a bundle with Portal, TF2, and all of the Half-Lifes. I would definitely go with the Civ bundle though - It was my first turn based game too, and it is absolutely fantastic. I have a ton of fun playing around with different map types, world leaders, and victory strategies. The DLC is really good too. I haven't played GTA - I prefer more focused games (Skryim being the exception).

Good to know about the Xbox - I'll probably wait until my 360 dies before upgrading though.

You NEED to play GTA V. I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the earlier games, but this one is amazing. Sure, you can fuck around and not do anything, but the main mission is tons of fun also. It's also just one of the most detailed, realistic and beautiful games, ever. Browse this and look at these.

random number

Postby random number » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Cool, I'll look to pick up a copy. Let us know what game you decide on. One warning though - If you plan to play Civ 4, make sure to play it before Civ 5. The graphics on the newer game are miles beyond that of Civ 4, so you'll probably never to back to the earlier game.

alpwilliams

Postby alpwilliams » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:28 pm

thevuch wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:

i had two 26'S

No way? I had LR experimental and this isn't what I had

26, 25, 26

xylocarp

Postby xylocarp » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:29 pm

random number wrote:Cool, I'll look to pick up a copy. Let us know what game you decide on. One warning though - If you plan to play Civ 4, make sure to play it before Civ 5. The graphics on the newer game are miles beyond that of Civ 4, so you'll probably never to back to the earlier game.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go for the Civ bundle. Thanks for the tip! Definitely worth it to play both?

random number

Postby random number » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:33 pm

xylocarp wrote:
random number wrote:Cool, I'll look to pick up a copy. Let us know what game you decide on. One warning though - If you plan to play Civ 4, make sure to play it before Civ 5. The graphics on the newer game are miles beyond that of Civ 4, so you'll probably never to back to the earlier game.

Pretty sure I'm gonna go for the Civ bundle. Thanks for the tip! Definitely worth it to play both?

I've only briefly played 4. I bought 5 first and couldn't force myself to play civ 4 afterwards. I also know that the gameplay mechanics differ between the games, so the strategies you learn from 4 won't be as useful in 5. For example, 4 has square map blocks and allows unit stacking, whereas 5 has hexagons and limits you to one unit per space. 4 was (and still is) a great game, but I don't think that you will miss out on anything by not playing it. 5 definitely has enough to keep you occupied for a long, long time.

bryanjbay12

Postby bryanjbay12 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Also look at Crusader Kings 2 and Football Manager if you want a time sink

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:44 pm

alpwilliams wrote:
thevuch wrote:
Lwoods1020 wrote:

i had two 26'S