February 2014 Waiters Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

How will you celebrate - slash - wallow in despair after score release? (select all that apply)

I shall drink a great many alcohols!
25%
I'm going to finally SLEEP.
11%
I'm going to get sexed something crazy.
11%
No time for celebration -- MUST STRESS OVER APPLICASHUNS!
7%
I'll console myself with logic games.
3%
Eat. So much.
11%
Celebratory/Numb-the-Pain shopping!
8%
Finally stop avoiding my family and their constant questions!
11%
Cracker Barrel. (this one's basically here just so I can select it.)
12%

Total votes: 122

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: February 2014 Waiters

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:13 am

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Wed May 07, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

superspaz

New

Post by superspaz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:26 am

Can anyone shed some light on the procedure for hand scoring? Is it even a possibility, given that we didn't to see our score sheet? I am just frustrated because my score was way, way below my PT average. I tested in October and scored 167, then leading up to February I was scoring consistently in the 170s. My actual score ended up being 161, which is the lowest I've ever seen since my diagnostic. I just don't understand how this could have happened, and am worried that maybe I made a bubbling error and shifted all my answers up or down a row. Is there any chance at all that LSAC would even consider looking at my test?

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:28 am

i dont think hand scoring would help if your bubbling is off. my understanding is that it only helps if you have erasures and such. im sorry to hear that bro :/

jkwo07

New

Post by jkwo07 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:35 am

thevuch wrote:yay hit 2 pts above target, 2 pts below pt average. feel great, 9 point overall improvement from december score. just retake that bitch. it can be done!
Thats amazing.

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Post by Mauve.Dino » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54 am

I am living proof that test day anxiety can destroy your performance. Whereas I was consistently PTing in the upper 160's/lower 170's, I received a 159 on this exam. A freaking 159. I knew it was going to be bad, so I'm not exactly shocked. I choked on the very first question (RC), and it was downhill from there. That being said, I'm using this as motivation for my retake in September. I am going to drill RC until I can recite passages from memory. I'm going to do a section of LG every morning. I'm going to wallow in LR until I dream of a land of Parallel Flaw and Could Be True questions.

For now, though, I'm going to drown my sorrows in coffee and Snickers bars--LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 am

Mauve.Dino wrote:I am living proof that test day anxiety can destroy your performance. Whereas I was consistently PTing in the upper 160's/lower 170's, I received a 159 on this exam. A freaking 159. I knew it was going to be bad, so I'm not exactly shocked. I choked on the very first question (RC), and it was downhill from there. That being said, I'm using this as motivation for my retake in September. I am going to drill RC until I can recite passages from memory. I'm going to do a section of LG every morning. I'm going to wallow in LR until I dream of a land of Parallel Flaw and Could Be True questions.

Im right here with you. We will get 170+ no worries

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:08 am

jkwo07 wrote:
thevuch wrote:yay hit 2 pts above target, 2 pts below pt average. feel great, 9 point overall improvement from december score. just retake that bitch. it can be done!
Thats amazing.
thank you sir

the LSAT trainer, manhattan LR, cambridge packets, every PT under the sun, the big man upstairs, on average 3.5 hrs a day for about 65 days and gluttonous amounts of red bull are responsible for this.

Amalthea

New

Post by Amalthea » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:21 am

I've been lurking throughout this waiter's thread but put myself on a 24 hiatus from checking at about 12 P.M. (Pacific) yesterday, since I was 99% sure that tests wouldn't come out on Sunday and the thread was stressing me out.

So I'm late to the party, and I opened my score alone at 6 A.M. with no one to scream at...and I got a 174 (my PT average and 10 points higher than my initial take).

1. I could cry of happiness.
2. I could kick myself for not applying to UCLA (GPA 3.0 - figured there was no point).

Congrats to all the other score receivers!!

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:47 am

MidwestLifer wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
MidwestLifer wrote:1 to 10 how tacky is it to put your score on social media? 12, right?
12? More like 120.

Seriously, the kids I've seen do this are the most socially awkward among my friends.
Yeah I figured as much I just wanted a quick way to let my friends who care/family know without reaching out to each individually.
Just alter the privacy of the post so only those people can see it, unless you have their email addresses to send a mass email. Better yet, you can do it as a pm instead of a post - that's more or less like an email, no? Not sure why some people assume social media is automatically "tacky," but then I don't have a public page...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Post by Mauve.Dino » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:54 am

90convoy wrote:
Mauve.Dino wrote:I am living proof that test day anxiety can destroy your performance. Whereas I was consistently PTing in the upper 160's/lower 170's, I received a 159 on this exam. A freaking 159. I knew it was going to be bad, so I'm not exactly shocked. I choked on the very first question (RC), and it was downhill from there. That being said, I'm using this as motivation for my retake in September. I am going to drill RC until I can recite passages from memory. I'm going to do a section of LG every morning. I'm going to wallow in LR until I dream of a land of Parallel Flaw and Could Be True questions.

Im right here with you. We will get 170+ no worries
HECK YES! 8)

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:55 am

Last edited by Mack.Hambleton on Wed May 07, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:19 pm

Should I send a short email to schools I'm waitlisted at or haven't received decisions from, or just let them get the updated score report from lsac? I sent a LOCI recently to one of my top choices at their invitation, worried I'll annoy them if I send another email...

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:36 pm

PattyCake wrote:Should I send a short email to schools I'm waitlisted at or haven't received decisions from, or just let them get the updated score report from lsac? I sent a LOCI recently to one of my top choices at their invitation, worried I'll annoy them if I send another email...
I sent out LOCI's to everyone who has either WL'd me, or who hasn't given me any kind of decision, period. However, I applied in October, and this was my first time sending LOCI's to these schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

j-select

New

Post by j-select » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 pm

post removed
Last edited by j-select on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Learn_Live_Hope

Silver

Post by Learn_Live_Hope » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Last edited by Learn_Live_Hope on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southernclass

New

Post by southernclass » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:28 pm

random number wrote:
MidwestLifer wrote:
southernclass wrote:So, what is a good plan from all of you who received your desired scores? I need a 10 point increase. I am also limited with the funds; so, it is hard to pay for a private tutor. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I scored 9 higher than my diagnostic just by taking practice tests under test-day conditions. While taking the tests, I would star the ones I was uncertain on. I would then review all the ones I got wrong and the ones I had starred, whether I got them right or wrong.

There are probably better ways to do this but it worked for me. I know there are tons of resources on TLS about techniques such as drilling which may also be super useful!
This. Dedicating ample time to reviewing tests immediately after (including those questions which you answered correctly but struggled with/didn't fully understand) is essential to 'getting' the test for most people.

TLS resources are also fantastic guides and motivational tools.

Thanks to both of you. Sounds like a plan. Also, on average, about how many hours per day (at a minimum) should I devote to studying (starting March 10 -June test day)? I work full time and have a full course load in undergrad. Thanks again!

thevuch

Silver

Post by thevuch » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:30 pm

some days were 7-8 hours for me, others were as little 1 hour. it probably average out to about 3.5 hrs a day. i took a day off probably every 10 days. i had to work around my UG course load.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MidwestLifer

Bronze

Post by MidwestLifer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:33 pm

I honestly managed to get by doing it only on weekends for approximately 4-8 hours per weekend (ramped up a bit in the two months before the test but not too much) but since you're faced with a compressed schedule I'd say try to do as much as you can spare. I understand the busy lifestyle will get in the way, it certainly did for me last semester! I went so far as to leave one of my jobs in December so I could spare more time as the test approached.

Also don't burn yourself out! Definitely don't try to take three PT's the weekend before the test or anything silly like that.

dreamerchic19

Bronze

Post by dreamerchic19 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:42 pm

also wondered if I should follow up, i called LSAC and they said that they would re send out new reports free of charge with updated scores

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:19 pm

dreamerchic19 wrote:also wondered if I should follow up, i called LSAC and they said that they would re send out new reports free of charge with updated scores
I know they'll get them, I just wondered if it's appropriate to send a personal email as well. I can't decide if that's appropriate and welcome, or if it's just my nerves fraying after so many months of waiting...

Mauve.Dino

Bronze

Post by Mauve.Dino » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Learn_Live_Hope wrote:

Why are you waiting until September? Why not re-take it in June?

I mentioned it somewhere (not sure if on this thread), but the June exam is out for me. Already have a non-refundable vacation scheduled.

It's okay, I'll need the extra time to rebuild my confidence! :oops:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dreamerchic19

Bronze

Post by dreamerchic19 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:38 pm

PattyCake wrote:
dreamerchic19 wrote:also wondered if I should follow up, i called LSAC and they said that they would re send out new reports free of charge with updated scores
I know they'll get them, I just wondered if it's appropriate to send a personal email as well. I can't decide if that's appropriate and welcome, or if it's just my nerves fraying after so many months of waiting...
understandable, I followed up with a courtesy call, they're usually very nice and understanding

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:25 pm

A quick word about nerves for future retakers:

I know you've heard this before, but you really need to go into test day 100% confident IMO. I never even had a PT as high as my actual score but on test day I went in confident as all hell that I was going to destroy that test and I did. Remember that you've done the work, put in the time, and seen every single question type before. Just go into that testing room and apply those skills and you'll come out on top.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:18 pm

logicspeaks wrote:A quick word about nerves for future retakers:

I know you've heard this before, but you really need to go into test day 100% confident IMO. I never even had a PT as high as my actual score but on test day I went in confident as all hell that I was going to destroy that test and I did. Remember that you've done the work, put in the time, and seen every single question type before. Just go into that testing room and apply those skills and you'll come out on top.
Totally agree, and it will work to your advantage even if you DON'T get the highest score you ever managed. I froze up on one section and I KNOW I got a lot of questions wrong in that section, BUT I went in ready to eat that test for breakfast and I DESTROYED my first 4 sections. If I hadn't been in that mindset I would have ended up with REALLY lousy score - but I'm absolutely sure I did better than usual on my first sections (pretty sure I was -0 on RC), and those points helped boost my overall score. I still scored below my practice average, but it could have been much, much worse.

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:30 pm

I was receiving a ridiculous amount of spam right up until Sunday's score release (I think I got 8 just from Creighton in the past week) and I haven't received a single email since my score was released, even though my score went up. Weird. Last time I took the test I had 20 emails the day after score release. Think this is just because so many deadlines have passed?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”