What to do?

ioannisk

What to do?

Postby ioannisk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:59 am

I'm suppose to retake the Feb LSAT after getting a 159 in December with very weak/inconsistant studying.
I pretty much blew off studying until two weeks ago.
I've been able to get my LR, per section, to about ~3 wrong, and my LG to 2-3. My RC sucks massive balls. I've hit -9. Usually around 7.

I significantly doubt I will be able to fix my RC by saturday. I feel like such a fool. I told my family i'll be doing law school in the fall. I told them I would redo my lsat to get a higher score. They kinda don't really understand how much i want to avoid loans and how important the LSAT score is to reduce those loans. Furthermore, I'm 23 years old. If I waited another year (go to law school at the age of 25, my birthday is in september), i'd leave law school at 28...... I feel like that's such an old age to be leaving law school.

I don't know how to break it to my family that NOT wasting my second shot on Saturday would be a better idea. They jsut see it as: Having LSAT Score ---> apply --> go. Furthermore, the further "delay" I'd have would indicate I'm trying to quit on the idea of law school. I don't know how to break it to them, or just take the lsat again and apply and go

Pneumonia

Re: What to do?

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:05 pm

There are many who have been in your position before, and I promise you that there is not a single one of them who regrets waiting to apply. 25 is not at all old for matriculation, and 28 will not be old for graduation. It's not like high school; there is literally no difference between a 26 year old and a 28 year old (other things being equal). In life and also in school people just stop making such fine grained distinctions with regard to age.

You should study, and retake. It doesn't mean it won't be hard to tell your family, but imagine telling them that you don't have a job in 3 years when you graduate. And that you need to move in with them so you can pay loans. And that you need help paying your loans. Others have had some success directing relatives to recent articles in the NYT/WSJ about law school being a losing bet for most, so you might try that.

Good luck with your retake. Study hard this time and you will improve. Several months is the minimum for getting any better at RC, but I think you can tighten it up to be more in accord with your LG/LR.

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:08 pm

ioannisk

Postby ioannisk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:19 pm

Pneumonia wrote:There are many who have been in your position before, and I promise you that there is not a single one of them who regrets waiting to apply. 25 is not at all old for matriculation, and 28 will not be old for graduation. It's not like high school; there is literally no difference between a 26 year old and a 28 year old (other things being equal). In life and also in school people just stop making such fine grained distinctions with regard to age.

You should study, and retake. It doesn't mean it won't be hard to tell your family, but imagine telling them that you don't have a job in 3 years when you graduate. And that you need to move in with them so you can pay loans. And that you need help paying your loans. Others have had some success directing relatives to recent articles in the NYT/WSJ about law school being a losing bet for most, so you might try that.

Good luck with your retake. Study hard this time and you will improve. Several months is the minimum for getting any better at RC, but I think you can tighten it up to be more in accord with your LG/LR.

I improved RAPIDLY at LG/LR.
Seeing my sluggish improvement with RC is fairly.... demotivating.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Your age will be a complete non-factor. 28? Ah, youth.

An issue I see is how worrisome breaking news to your family is, but it wasn't worrisome enough to tighten down for the last two months and study your butt off. Still, I think it may be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps breaking the news that you're postponing a cycle (and getting negative feedback possibly) will spur you to new heights in June.

Wait until June. You have two bites at the apple with a retake Oct/Dec option.

In the meantime, create a Powerpoint presentation for your family with various screenshots of MyLSN scholly/acceptance graphs if you have to. Or, just say: "this is what's happening because it's clearly better for me in the long term."

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:21 pm

yeah that is how it goes. RC is the hardest to improve at but it can be done. The passages are just as formulaic as logic games. but it takes longer for you to begin recognizing the formula.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Hi OP. Experienced something similar to you. I am 27. I ended up waiting two cycles to apply after I "blew" the LSAT the first time. I have to say, I don't feel any older now, although perhaps you may feel I am an old hag. I will say that my friends and family were NOT too supportive when I announced I'd be putting off applying and re-taking. My mother in particular was a nervous wreck, since statistically, the odds of doing better don't look so hot. Needless to say, they all changed their tune pretty quickly once my new score came in and they realized the doors that had opened up.

Law school isn't going anywhere and 25 isn't old. Take the time you need and don't worry too much about what your family thinks - they haven't researched this like you have (why would they?). If they give you a lot of trouble, perhaps do as Soco suggests, and compile for them some solid info to help illustrate why you're doing this. When my mom was fussing, I showed her some articles and such, to give her an idea of the kind of scholarship difference just a few points could make. It got her to shut up fairly quickly.

ioannisk

Postby ioannisk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:18 pm

I suppose I'm going to suggest to sit out a cycle.... but i don't know how my family is going to behave thinking I gave up.

Maybe I should say I did apply and just got rejected or something....

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ioannisk

Postby ioannisk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 pm

mist4bison wrote:
ioannisk wrote:I suppose I'm going to suggest to sit out a cycle.... but i don't know how my family is going to behave thinking I gave up.

Maybe I should say I did apply and just got rejected or something....

You could also tell them that you've decided to sit out since it's getting late in the cycle. Explain that you're more likely to be accepted if you apply early next fall and more likely to receive scholarship $. With my family, I would personally base it around $ and just play it off like I'm making such a financially responsible move by waiting.

Also, while I know it can seem impossible not to worry about what your family thinks, remember that this is for YOU. You are the one who will ultimately regret not studying four extra months. You are the one who will always question what you could have done if you'd waited. Your family isn't applying to//going to law school. You are.

Well I told them.
My dads pretty disappointed...

Now I hope i'm intelligent enough to get a 170+ as I claimed I could get to support the idea I should wait a year.....

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”