Help with LSAT prep

chabs

Help with LSAT prep

Postby chabs » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:52 am

Hey everyone! So, I just decided to withdraw my February LSAT and register for a much later date..where I feel and am more prepared to take it-because I have not increased my score much (about 8-10 points). I used Powerscore for LR, LG and RC.. I decided to withdraw because my grades have been slacking and I thought I would be able to keep up-but I was wrong. I was wondering if you guys can help me and give me some advice as to which LSAT Prep is the best out there, what effect it had on your scores, how much did your score increase, etc. (Also, I am doing a self-study plan because I simply cannot afford a course.) Please and thank you!

mylifeis24

Re: Help with LSAT prep

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:00 pm

chabs wrote:Hey everyone! So, I just decided to withdraw my February LSAT and register for a much later date..where I feel and am more prepared to take it-because I have not increased my score much (about 8-10 points). I used Powerscore for LR, LG and RC.. I decided to withdraw because my grades have been slacking and I thought I would be able to keep up-but I was wrong. I was wondering if you guys can help me and give me some advice as to which LSAT Prep is the best out there, what effect it had on your scores, how much did your score increase, etc. (Also, I am doing a self-study plan because I simply cannot afford a course.) Please and thank you!

Practice tests, practice tests, practice tests. The Powerscore Bibles are a great way to learn about the techniques and tricks for the different sections, especially LG, but once you have the basics, you need to keep practicing with real games and real questions and real readings. Buy the 3 most recent LSAC official test books and drill through them all in real-test scenario conditions.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:07 pm

PT's are good, but just blindly taking a few dozen after you've read the bibles is an inefficient way of improving your score. Drill the Cambridge bundles for LR and LG, and then use PT's 40-70 for actually practicing the test. Don't jump straight into PT's right after you've finished the bibles; you will waste valuable tests and you will regret doing it.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Pneumonia wrote:PT's are good, but just blindly taking a few dozen after you've read the bibles is an inefficient way of improving your score. Drill the Cambridge bundles for LR and LG, and then use PT's 40-70 for actually practicing the test. Don't jump straight into PT's right after you've finished the bibles; you will waste valuable tests and you will regret doing it.

Worked for me, but to each his/her own!

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:23 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:PT's are good, but just blindly taking a few dozen after you've read the bibles is an inefficient way of improving your score. Drill the Cambridge bundles for LR and LG, and then use PT's 40-70 for actually practicing the test. Don't jump straight into PT's right after you've finished the bibles; you will waste valuable tests and you will regret doing it.

Worked for me, but to each his/her own!

Yeah it pretty muck worked for me too. Near the end of my prep though I started drilling and realized how inefficient simply doing PT's had been. It was effective- I just think drilling is a lot quicker.

chabs

Postby chabs » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:07 pm

Any advice on the best LR book out there? I used Powerscore, but personally, it didn't help my score much..cambridge or manhattan any good? If so, which one?

Straw_Mandible

Postby Straw_Mandible » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Cambridge is not a book, but rather a series of drilling packets separated by type. Highly recommended. Manhattan LR is a very reputable resource, but I think the LSAT Trainer is the best thing out there for improving LR. The Trainer is a comprehensive book, teaching all three sections, but I found that the LR lessons are perceptive and insightful in ways that Manhattan is not. You should get your hands on all three of the above resources, if possible.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”