LG help for an LSAT veteran Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
drawstring

Gold

LG help for an LSAT veteran

Post by drawstring » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:47 am

I applied to schools this cycle after scoring 173 on the October LSAT, but I will reapply if I don't get into any of HYS. I have already started doing light studying for a possible June retake, which leads me to the issue of how to improve my very weak LG.

I almost always score -0 to -4 combined on the three non-LG sections of practice tests, and on the real test I went -1 on LR and -2 on RC. However, my modal score for LG on practice tests was -4 (next most common is-3 followed by -5) and I went -5 on the real thing even though it was generally viewed as an easy section. I have drilled, drilled, drilled, by type and by test, and I have seen virtually no improvement beyond the first month or so of studying. I read the PS and Manhattan books, though I didn't watch videos online.

At this point, given that I've taken an official test and have studied for a while with no improvement, does anyone have suggestions as to what I could do to raise my LG score? It is the only thing holding me back from a 176+ but I just cannot seem to get the hang of it, even though it's apparently the easiest section to improve on.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Re: LG help for an LSAT veteran

Post by alexrodriguez » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:37 am

You scored a 173 and want to retake?

Jesus, help me.

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:53 am

Hey Drawstring: Not to jynx it or anything, but I'm 90% sure you'll get one of HYS (probably H) this cycle. I apologize in advance for revealing my lurking habits, but isn't your GPA also at/above median? Your LSAT score is not holding you back. If it doesn't work out this cycle, take a year, apply with WE and enjoy at least one of HYS. If you really feel that you need to retake, and LG is your only weak point, then you should absolutely be watching the 7Sage videos. J.Y. Ping is a logic games genius. I was really struggling with LG until I started watching the 7Sage solutions, and then redoing difficult games for process.

But mostly, enjoy HYS in the fall!

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:34 pm

louierodriguez wrote:You scored a 173 and want to retake?

Jesus, help me.
I would've said the same until a few months into studying.
Straw_Mandible wrote:Hey Drawstring: Not to jynx it or anything, but I'm 90% sure you'll get one of HYS (probably H) this cycle. I apologize in advance for revealing my lurking habits, but isn't your GPA also at/above median? Your LSAT score is not holding you back. If it doesn't work out this cycle, take a year, apply with WE and enjoy at least one of HYS. If you really feel that you need to retake, and LG is your only weak point, then you should absolutely be watching the 7Sage videos. J.Y. Ping is a logic games genius. I was really struggling with LG until I started watching the 7Sage solutions, and then redoing difficult games for process.

But mostly, enjoy HYS in the fall!
Thanks for the response and well wishes!

My GPA is above all 75ths, so my numbers are fairly well-rounded. I suspect that the biggest weaknesses with my application are non-numerical (being a K-JD and all), but I figure that if I raise my LSAT a few points it may be enough to push me over the edge at H and probably S.

I will definitely start watching the 7-Sage videos, and I have a relative who made great gains doing the same thing. I would love to get into H this cycle, but I'll be prepared if I don't hear back soon!

random number

Bronze

Post by random number » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 pm

drawstring wrote:I applied to schools this cycle after scoring 173 on the October LSAT, but I will reapply if I don't get into any of HYS. I have already started doing light studying for a possible June retake, which leads me to the issue of how to improve my very weak LG.

I almost always score -0 to -4 combined on the three non-LG sections of practice tests, and on the real test I went -1 on LR and -2 on RC. However, my modal score for LG on practice tests was -4 (next most common is-3 followed by -5) and I went -5 on the real thing even though it was generally viewed as an easy section. I have drilled, drilled, drilled, by type and by test, and I have seen virtually no improvement beyond the first month or so of studying. I read the PS and Manhattan books, though I didn't watch videos online.

At this point, given that I've taken an official test and have studied for a while with no improvement, does anyone have suggestions as to what I could do to raise my LG score? It is the only thing holding me back from a 176+ but I just cannot seem to get the hang of it, even though it's apparently the easiest section to improve on.
I think that I was/am in a similar position. I typically miss no more than 5 or 6 within the LR and RC, but LG absolutely killed me in June and is by far my biggest fear going into this Saturday. However, I have made significant gains within the past month, typically going -2 to -0 on LG. No guarantee that what I did will work for you, but I thought that I'd at least offer.

I did powerscore, which I found useful mostly for its diagramming techniques which allowed me to externalize and organize info rather than remembering it. However, I found that the game classifications and identification strategies used in the book weren't quite specific enough for my needs, so I instead independently came up with my own set of game types and identified which types I found most challenging. For example, I can do almost all linear games perfectly, but there are a few varieties (e.g. those with 'categories' of variables - think the suspect confession game from 53 - instead of discrete alphabetical or numeric variables) which gave me trouble, so I focused my attention on those games. Is there a particular game subtype (or multiple subtypes) that you have difficulty with? If so, I would go through old PTs and drill those specific ones.

If your main issue is timing (which was a problem for me), I would suggest focusing on games from older tests (1-40ish)? I believe that these LG systems are harder overall (new sections tend to have a single hard game surrounded by easy/medium games IMHO), which can help with timing issues by forcing you to solve each game quickly, whereas with the newer games you can rush through 3 in 20 minutes, giving you ample time to do the harder one. Disciplining yourself to do all games quickly, rather than banking on accumulating spare time from finishing one or two under budget, will account for errors/panic on test day.

Hopefully this is a moot point, and you'll hear from HYS soon!

Edited for specificity

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks for the advice RN!

Good luck for Saturday :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”