How real is the Test Day drop?

How did you do compared to your PT average?

-6 or more worse than PT average
18%
-4 to -5 worse
13%
-2 to -3 worse
31%
-0 to -1 worse
4%
No difference
13%
A few points better than PT average
16%
Significantly better
5%

Total votes: 55

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

How real is the Test Day drop?

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:44 pm

I'm 'stuck' scoring in a range that I'd be very happy with come next Saturday. It never really hit me that most people probably score several points worse come their test day. A week out and I'm getting nervous that I need to improve at least three more points to actually get that desired score.

patogordo

Re: How real is the Test Day drop?

Postby patogordo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Just score as high as you can bro

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 pm

I think it is normal to score a couple points lower, but you never know- you could score higher!
I did score about 3-4 points lower than my usual PT score.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:50 pm

Scored smack dab where I should have. Focus on the things you can control and stop freaking out about shit that happens to other people.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:51 pm

bjsesq wrote:Scored smack dab where I should have. Focus on the things you can control and stop freaking out about shit that happens to other people.

:D

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:17 pm

Based on my students, it's definitely not uncommon for your score to go down a couple points. People who are normally pretty good about keeping their cool during big standardized tests (like the SAT) are probably less likely to see a dip in their scores, if that helps. And since you're posting on TLS, there's a good chance that you're more prepared than ~95% of the people in the room with you, so it can be funny/reassuring to overhear everyone else being like "Yeah, I took two practice tests so I'm definitely ready!"

Edit: Oh, and FWIW, I scored exactly the score I had been getting on my PTs, so it happens!

blackbirdfly

Postby blackbirdfly » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:59 pm

The first time I lost my cool and scored below my average. the last time I scored my average. Anxiety can kill your score, but being calm and relaxed does wonders.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:39 am

It's hard to say how real this is, because a significant portion of those people didn't perform worse, they just never measured their ACTUAL performance. As an instructor you'd be shocked how many people test in conditions that aren't realistic. Even just taking an extra minute between sections makes it hard to predict. Just for data's sake, I came in about a point lower than my average.

zhenders

Postby zhenders » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:09 pm

And too I want to note briefly that this poll is likely skewed negative, because it is likely relatively few of those who scored at or above their average are still here in the LSAT forum -- let alone TLS :) (which is, of course, awesome).

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Scored below my average by 4 - 5 points the first time I took.

Second time I scored 3-4 points about my average. Honestly, I think it came down to not burning myself out the week before, and generally just having a calmer attitude about the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”