Need advice on prep materials, plz!

Tinker

Need advice on prep materials, plz!

Postby Tinker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:16 am

Hi all, I've read through several threads about prep materials and there are so many I just thought I would start a thread for myself. I made the huge mistake of taking the lsat four years ago and not doing too well because I didn't study (at all), I was stressed out and just thought I would give it a go and see if I was naturally able to do it. I come from a family that has barely any college education, so I really was sort of lost. I'm the first with a college degree and I'm proud of my 3.9 gpa from a good school. I'm not looking to get into Yale either so I just need to improve my score in June so that I can hopefully get scholarships. My personal statement and such are strong as I have held together a business for 6 years, owned/operated. I'm confident in that arena...just not my lsat score. Either way, I'll need to retest in June 2014 and study hard. A big woops, I bought Kaplan Premiere 2014 book and now see that everyone on here says it's a joke--I totally believe you after seeing the proof in their errors. Ugh. I hate that I wasted $40! Please help if you have suggestions on a list of good books I should get, including the best place to get practice tests...I'm guessing the LSAC website? I tried a Kaplan sample online/live class and it was pretty fun, but just so so so expensive. Thank you tons in advance, much appreciated! ;o)

Feel free to PM if you'd rather!

bombaysippin

Re: Need advice on prep materials, plz!

Postby bombaysippin » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:23 am

Powerscore bible for LG

Manhattan for LR/RC

LSAT Trainer for overall

Cambridge packets for drilling from cambridgelsat.com, which also has PTs.

Throw away your Kaplan book or use it to help balance a chair or light a fire with it.

Most, if not all of this will cost you far less than a course, which won't teach you anything you can't learn for yourself.

ETA: You can also buy bundles of PTs from Amazon or LSAC too for the earlier exams, but most of those exams will be recycled questions in cambridge packets depending on which you get.

Tinker

Re: Need advice on prep materials, plz!

Postby Tinker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:46 am

Bajam wrote:Powerscore bible for LG

Manhattan for LR/RC

LSAT Trainer for overall

Cambridge packets for drilling from cambridgelsat.com, which also has PTs.

Throw away your Kaplan book or use it to help balance a chair or light a fire with it.

Most, if not all of this will cost you far less than a course, which won't teach you anything you can't learn for yourself.

ETA: You can also buy bundles of PTs from Amazon or LSAC too for the earlier exams, but most of those exams will be recycled questions in cambridge packets depending on which you get.

Thanks for the list, this is exactly what I needed! Yeah, this new paperweight (Kaplan book) will work great if I ever need to drive a big rig since I'm kinda short. I should have known...it came with a dvd. LOL!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”