The Official December 2014 Study Group

User avatar
jw316
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby jw316 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I know how LG and RC should go (and it's very clear to me when I'm going to get something wrong) but can someone take me through their process for LR? Like what's going on in your head 1.) as you're answering a question and 2.) going between them?

That's the section I definitely seem to have trouble with but for whatever reason when I was drilling them untimed during prep I was making few mistakes and even now when I do them untimed during BR I still seem to get more of them right (as seen in the difference in scores).

Took PT 59 this morning and I finally finished every section in time but had to rush and guess on too many questions so I'm still trying to sort out my timing/pacing issues for Saturday.

User avatar
santoki
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby santoki » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:57 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
santoki wrote:ive been on a hiatus for a video game that i play, and a big update for the game is coming on december 8, when i plan on playing again.

if this isnt fate i dont know what is


Which game?

ETA: Talking about LG's here right? :D


game by blizzard called hearthstone

im also finally able to use my ps4 that has been pretty much my roommates' for a year while i studied. dont even know why i bought it

User avatar
KanGaHru
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby KanGaHru » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:21 pm

santoki wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
santoki wrote:ive been on a hiatus for a video game that i play, and a big update for the game is coming on december 8, when i plan on playing again.

if this isnt fate i dont know what is


Which game?

ETA: Talking about LG's here right? :D


game by blizzard called hearthstone

im also finally able to use my ps4 that has been pretty much my roommates' for a year while i studied. dont even know why i bought it


Video games were my weakness back in the day. For a time they consumed my soul. I had to go cold turkey. Sounds like you are better at exercising restraint though seeing as you have not touched the PS4. I applaud your efforts!

some1uknown
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:20 am

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby some1uknown » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:21 pm

how much is everyone studying this final week? i'm at about 5-6 hrs tops and being done by thursday night.

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Good luck, December folks!! Get lots of sleep this week, don't push yourselves too hard, take deep breaths and know you've done your best.

Luv u, Rigo. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Rigo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:28 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Rigo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:31 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
santoki
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby santoki » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:37 pm

KanGaHru wrote:
santoki wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
santoki wrote:ive been on a hiatus for a video game that i play, and a big update for the game is coming on december 8, when i plan on playing again.

if this isnt fate i dont know what is


Which game?

ETA: Talking about LG's here right? :D


game by blizzard called hearthstone

im also finally able to use my ps4 that has been pretty much my roommates' for a year while i studied. dont even know why i bought it


Video games were my weakness back in the day. For a time they consumed my soul. I had to go cold turkey. Sounds like you are better at exercising restraint though seeing as you have not touched the PS4. I applaud your efforts!


thanks! it aint ez...anticipating gaming freedom as much as PT74 itself

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby dasani13 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:39 pm

jw316 wrote:I know how LG and RC should go (and it's very clear to me when I'm going to get something wrong) but can someone take me through their process for LR? Like what's going on in your head 1.) as you're answering a question and 2.) going between them?

That's the section I definitely seem to have trouble with but for whatever reason when I was drilling them untimed during prep I was making few mistakes and even now when I do them untimed during BR I still seem to get more of them right (as seen in the difference in scores).

Took PT 59 this morning and I finally finished every section in time but had to rush and guess on too many questions so I'm still trying to sort out my timing/pacing issues for Saturday.


what do you mean by "what's going on in your head"?

1) you read the stem to see what kind of question it is and then you attack it just like you've been doing during drills. 2) really not sure what you mean there

User avatar
koala-fy
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby koala-fy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Rigo - I've noticed that when I look at your tar I take deep breaths in tandem with it. It's relaxing. Lol

User avatar
monadologist
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby monadologist » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Did PT70 today

LR1 (-3)
RC (-8)!!
LG (-1)
LR2 (-2)

168

LSAT is like whack a mole, gain mastery of one section and lose control of it the next PT. RC was my best section and now it is my worst on this one. The one point I lost in LG was in the first game. I find that if I get a very easy basic linear game I manage to mess it up by rushing through it.

User avatar
MEAhrnsbrak
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:06 am

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:16 pm

Dirigo wrote:
some1uknown wrote:how much is everyone studying this final week? i'm at about 5-6 hrs tops and being done by thursday night.

Full PT either tomorrow or Thursday.
Thinking about doing 2 sections the other two days to add up to a full PT.
A lot of LG everyday. I can't afford to not ace that section.
Some very light LR & RC drilling.


Same. I'm going to go through as many LGs between now and Saturday to make sure that's a guaranteed -0. Then I'm going to drill regularly tomorrow and Thursday, but Friday nothing! I'm relaxing Friday and making sure I am fresh and ready to go on Saturday!

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2710
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:37 pm

some1uknown wrote:how much is everyone studying this final week? i'm at about 5-6 hrs tops and being done by thursday night.


gunna redo PT 73 everyday until I get a 180. no br in between administrations. i will only grade all 3 versions on friday.

User avatar
santoki
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby santoki » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 pm

okay buddies and friends, its time to bring our minds together:

how do you attack rule substitution on LG?

its the only thing that might hit me for a loss on LG (or so i hope)

User avatar
KanGaHru
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:43 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby KanGaHru » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:42 pm

some1uknown wrote:how much is everyone studying this final week? i'm at about 5-6 hrs tops and being done by thursday night.


I will be taking PT 70 tomorrow and then its a 2 day rest until test day....I actually find I do my best tests after taking long rests.

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2710
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm

santoki wrote:okay buddies and friends, its time to bring our minds together:

how do you attack rule substitution on LG?

its the only thing that might hit me for a loss on LG (or so i hope)


If you haven't already, I would watch JY's videos to see how he attacks the questions. He usually suggests skipping it and coming back to it, but I find that this approach, for me at least, either leaves me with no time left to answer it, or I forget until the very last minute and rush/guess.

You look at your original diagram and make a separate diagram eliminating the rule the question tells you to. Go through each answer choice and add it to your amended rule. If it makes connections/inferences that differ categorically from your original, it's wrong. For example:

Original: X-Y-Z
Remove: Y-Z
Amended diagram: X-Y
AC: Z is before Y.
Amended AC diagram: X + Z>Y

While this is a very simple example, it's clear that this answer choice is incorrect because it contradicts the original diagram, where X and Y are before Z.
Last edited by Shakawkaw on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
koala-fy
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby koala-fy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:49 pm

santoki wrote:okay buddies and friends, its time to bring our minds together:

how do you attack rule substitution on LG?

its the only thing that might hit me for a loss on LG (or so i hope)


I don't always get these right - I missed one the other day, actually - but I usually do JY's "sneak-in" versus "knock-out" method. So I look if it blatantly knocks out some world that is obviously allowed with the original rule. That's usually pretty easy. Then for "sneak-in" I look if it's possible, under this new rule, to come up with a new world that wasn't allowed previously. Like, I follow the "new" set of rules and see if something is now possible that was not allowed before. I usually do this pretty quickly - like JY says, it's not worth sinking time into. If I have time I go back and do it more thoroughly, but I usually have a pretty good feel through a first pass looking for these two possible issues.

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2710
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:52 pm

^ yes, this!

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Rigo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:14 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
unodostres
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:46 pm

yup. if it creates a new world, im like oh god, no. its the ones where i don't see the new world or it's barely sneaking in its like merrr

User avatar
sashafierce
Posts: 454
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby sashafierce » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:57 pm

So I scored way below my average on PT73, I am very depressed about it but I plan to learn as much as possible from PT72 (I scored close to my average on that PT) and PT73. FYI PT72 S3 Q11 and PT73 S2 Q18 is the same flaw type, I missed it on PT72 and learned my lesson. I plan to review those two PTs over and over again until Saturday. Also, if I don't get -0 on LG I'm screwed, I plan to drill LG until my eyes bleed.

User avatar
santoki
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby santoki » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:58 pm

koala-fy wrote:
santoki wrote:okay buddies and friends, its time to bring our minds together:

how do you attack rule substitution on LG?

its the only thing that might hit me for a loss on LG (or so i hope)


I don't always get these right - I missed one the other day, actually - but I usually do JY's "sneak-in" versus "knock-out" method. So I look if it blatantly knocks out some world that is obviously allowed with the original rule. That's usually pretty easy. Then for "sneak-in" I look if it's possible, under this new rule, to come up with a new world that wasn't allowed previously. Like, I follow the "new" set of rules and see if something is now possible that was not allowed before. I usually do this pretty quickly - like JY says, it's not worth sinking time into. If I have time I go back and do it more thoroughly, but I usually have a pretty good feel through a first pass looking for these two possible issues.


thanks for the responses-

yeah i saw this in JYs vids, but the sneak-in method takes some getting used to in my opinion. it can end up consuming a considerable amount of time, so im hoping to be able to complete everything else quickly enough to get there.

whats the chance we dont see any of these? >.>

0%.

User avatar
unodostres
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:03 pm

its weird, ive seen some subs that were real easy just to see. pt69 had a sub in game 3 which was super easy if you had scenarios. then again, some are just weird when they are straight up ordering.

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2710
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:05 pm

So who else is excited to have reintroduce alcohol into their systems on Saturday?

User avatar
unodostres
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby unodostres » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:08 pm

i am




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests