The Official December 2014 Study Group

Rigo

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:10 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:19 am

Dirigo wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:TIL my ex from freshman year got a 180. Talk about confused ladyboners.

Sext him. Don't miss your opportunity to marry a future Supreme Court justice.

Rigo, of course I'll give you his #!

zxbn579

Postby zxbn579 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:23 am

Shakawkaw wrote:Reading this thread in my "spare" time for the lolz.

LOL great stuff thanks Shak.

Confirmed my decision from earlier today to take this week off and go into a nirvana for the next 5 days cause I keep making the stupidest mistakes.
Mind - refresh.

unodostres

Postby unodostres » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:37 am

when i took sep i had a guy tell me i shouldnt be retaking and i should go to whereever. ill eventually land the big multimillion dollar case to live comfortably.

i pondered how he would do on the lr sections after that.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:49 am

watch a movie the night before.. preferably something easy to follow, entertaining, does not keep you awake, etc.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Took RC/LR1 from 73 this morning. RC felt great, once again, but still went -4. I somehow went -7 on test day (with a big dumb smile on my face the whole time). Only two of my 4 misses today overlapped with test day. I managed to get 5 of my 7 previously missed questions correct this morning, but I got an additional 2 questions wrong. So basically fuck me, and fuck that RC section. It's deceptively difficult in ways that previous tests have not been, as pretty much everyone who took it observed. I'm going to review it more thoroughly this afternoon and figure out what's going on.

For LR1, I went -1 (Q19, the warrior's mace question). I missed that on test day too, but I picked a different answer this time. I still really don't understand it. I did manage to correct my two other (very stupid) mistakes from Sept.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Dirigo wrote:5 more days!

:wink:

santoki

Postby santoki » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:42 pm

GreenTee wrote:Took RC/LR1 from 73 this morning. RC felt great, once again, but still went -4. I somehow went -7 on test day (with a big dumb smile on my face the whole time). Only two of my 4 misses today overlapped with test day. I managed to get 5 of my 7 previously missed questions correct this morning, but I got an additional 2 questions wrong. So basically fuck me, and fuck that RC section. It's deceptively difficult in ways that previous tests have not been, as pretty much everyone who took it observed. I'm going to review it more thoroughly this afternoon and figure out what's going on.

For LR1, I went -1 (Q19, the warrior's mace question). I missed that on test day too, but I picked a different answer this time. I still really don't understand it. I did manage to correct my two other (very stupid) mistakes from Sept.

in case youre interested..the warrior mace q.

the stim says that the artifact was found in the tomb, but the correct AC says that communal things were passed on from generation to generation. so this weakens the conclusion that the item was communal.

stupid question! it felt really unfamiliar and i got it wrong as well.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:51 pm

santoki wrote:
GreenTee wrote:Took RC/LR1 from 73 this morning. RC felt great, once again, but still went -4. I somehow went -7 on test day (with a big dumb smile on my face the whole time). Only two of my 4 misses today overlapped with test day. I managed to get 5 of my 7 previously missed questions correct this morning, but I got an additional 2 questions wrong. So basically fuck me, and fuck that RC section. It's deceptively difficult in ways that previous tests have not been, as pretty much everyone who took it observed. I'm going to review it more thoroughly this afternoon and figure out what's going on.

in case youre interested..the warrior mace q.

the stim says that the artifact was found in the tomb, but the correct AC says that communal things were passed on from generation to generation. so this weakens the conclusion that the item was communal.

that question (because of the answer choices) is the perfect example of how much trickier LR has gotten.

jlk411

Postby jlk411 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Anyone experience a dip in score when adding in the fifth section after testing with four this whole time? Should I be super alarmed?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zxbn579

Postby zxbn579 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:10 pm

jlk411 wrote:Anyone experience a dip in score when adding in the fifth section after testing with four this whole time? Should I be super alarmed?

I

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:23 pm

santoki wrote:in case youre interested..the warrior mace q.

Shit! That's really obvious, actually. I don't know why I eliminated that answer so quickly--both times! Agh.
Weaken questions are prime real estate for LSAT trickery. Things that appear peripheral to the argument can work effectively as weakeners. I think I get too cocky with my elimination process sometimes, and I end up trying to fit a square into a circle. Especially with the harder strengthen, weaken, and MSS questions. Or as I call them, the axis of evil.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:29 pm

jlk411 wrote:Anyone experience a dip in score when adding in the fifth section after testing with four this whole time? Should I be super alarmed?

Not everyone is affected by fatigue in the same way. I'm always much sharper on the last section of the day than I am on the first. My brain needs a crazy amount of time to fully warm up.

But if you're having trouble with fatigue towards the end of your PTs, then not practicing with an experimental might be a disadvantage for you.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:59 pm

GreenTee wrote:

Not everyone is affected by fatigue in the same way. I'm always much sharper on the last section of the day than I am on the first. My brain needs a crazy amount of time to fully warm up.

But if you're having trouble with fatigue towards the end of your PTs, then not practicing with an experimental might be a disadvantage for you.

That's me too GT. I always do worse on the first section because my brain isn't fully warmed up yet. :oops:

Big Red

Postby Big Red » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:56 pm

Last edited by Big Red on Tue May 05, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Since when do MSS questions force you to think outside of the box? Wrong AC's are always outside of the scope.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:Since when do MSS questions force you to think outside of the box? Wrong AC's are always outside of the scope.

Obviously I'm referring only to the hardest MSS questions, but there's a reason they're called MSS and not MBT.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:46 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Since when do MSS questions force you to think outside of the box? Wrong AC's are always outside of the scope.

Obviously I'm referring only to the hardest MSS questions, but there's a reason they're called MSS and not MBT.

But you still should be limiting yourself to inferences that stem from the stim (lolz, puns). If you're volleying between two ACs, for MSS, I find that softer language (depending on the stim, obviously) is a safer bet. I've just spent the past few days drilling MSS, so these are the patterns I'm approaching AC's with. Which MSS have you seen where the CR is outside of the scope?

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Did anyone have a hard time with #24 from LR 1 of 73? I thought that was the hardest LR question out of the 70s PTs because it seemed to me that the correct answer choice required a really weird assumption.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
GreenTee wrote:

But you still should be limiting yourself to inferences that stem from the stim (lolz, puns). If you're volleying between two ACs, for MSS, I find that softer language (depending on the stim, obviously) is a safer bet. I've just spent the past few days drilling MSS, so these are the patterns I'm approaching AC's with. Which MSS have you seen where the CR is outside of the scope?

Well, this is a loaded question. Obviously there aren't any. The LSAT is a perfect test.

I'm just saying MSS CRs don't directly follow logically from the stimulus. You have to do a bit of comparison between answer choices in order to get to that one, unequivocally correct answer. That's obviously different from MBT, which is just asking you to make a logical inference.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:59 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
GreenTee wrote:

Well, this is a loaded question. Obviously there aren't any. The LSAT is a perfect test.

I'm just saying MSS CRs don't directly follow logically from the stimulus. You have to do a bit of comparison between answer choices in order to get to that one, unequivocally correct answer. That's obviously different from MBT, which is just asking you to make a logical inference.

Gotcha, GT. I have just been conditioning myself to not veer outside the scope for MSS (which was a huge problem question type for me) so I had an oh shit moment, 5 days before the test. :mrgreen:

Also -
mvp99 wrote:watch a movie the night before.. preferably something easy to follow, entertaining, does not keep you awake, etc.

Any rec's?? I watched Legally Blonde back in Sept. I might watch Mean Girls this time around.

koala-fy

Postby koala-fy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:41 pm

GreenTee wrote: For LR1, I went -1 (Q19, the warrior's mace question). I missed that on test day too, but I picked a different answer this time. I still really don't understand it. I did manage to correct my two other (very stupid) mistakes from Sept.

This is exactly what happened to me - I went -1 with that exact question being the one I got wrong. Have you done LR2 yet? That section made me so mad and destroyed my confidence. :(

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”