The Official December 2014 Study Group

jw316

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby jw316 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
jw316 wrote:
That being said, any advice given the above and the difference in my scores?

clearly timing is an issue. a 10 point jump between timed an untimed is pretty substantial. I will say also- getting less than 20 right in each section untimed on BR is an issue also.

idk your goal, diag or anything, but thats just way too many LR to be missing in an untimed environment. Stick with the trainer to find out what your accuracy issues are but also def be doing a lot of timing drills to make sure you have that down by test day.

and now i need an advil after making an on topic post.

eta: i get what youre saying about sections being heavy on question types and yea thats possible, but regardless of question type they stack the difficulty of questions and curve accordingly.

Thanks! Goal is 170+, diag was low 140s, highest PT was a 169 but this was my first PT in like 4 months. So far I've just done some work in the trainer (following the schedule, lil bit of drilling, half way done with the book) and drilled a few timed sections.

I mean I haven't even gotten to MSS/MBT/what role does this play in the passage questions and likely many more (only half way through the trainer but I know I need to finish this ASAP so that I can stop saying "it's because I haven't done that question type yet") in terms of what I should specifically be looking for, etc. so hoping that will clear a lot up but still gonna have to practice that with drilling.

As for the sections being heavy on types I wasn't saying that to say one section is harder than another, I'm just trying to keep an eye out for any kind of pattern I notice in the test but don't want to "see" a pattern that isn't there.
Last edited by jw316 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:51 pm

justabitunusual wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Not a fan of the new tars.
NEXT.

You don't like mine?? Please.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

UNUSUAL!

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:52 pm

mist4bison wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Yeah, people use it. I think it's a waste of money. Some people set their watches to 12:00 at the start of a section. I just read my watch.

I just move it to :00 at the end of each section. Definitely a waste of money. You still have to move that watch back to the 0.

Yeah, but ppl like us w adhd could get confused ab where to stop at ":00" ya know? so, def worth it.

eta: Shaka: hey girl

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:sup ITFR you retaking?

Yeah. Totally aced the GMAT, so no I'm back to being all in with the LSAT. I'm really starting to worry about my TX chances.

jw316

Postby jw316 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:54 pm

nlee10 wrote:I just noticed this today on PT 66 compared to PT 71.

On PT 66, there were only 4 MBT/MSS questions whereas in PT 71, there were 11 MBT/MSS...and personally for me MBT/MSS tend to be time suckers.

ETA: I would just say continue drilling your weak points. For me, it's MBT/MSS and assumptions so I will continue focusing on them.

Thanks! I know it's only one PT (need quite a few more to really tell anything) but based on that breakdown would you say my weak points are timing and just the remaining question types that I haven't yet reached in the trainer? I haven't counted but I know it's quite a few.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:55 pm

jw316 wrote:As for the sections being heavy on types I wasn't saying that to say one section is harder than another, I'm just trying to keep an eye out for any kind of pattern I notice in the test but don't want to "see" a pattern that isn't there.

There are definitely some types that get asked more than others. The LR Bible separates them into question types and the book is ordered in terms of what is the most popular vs. least. If you're not working with LsatQA or 7sage, I suggest you do - it tracks the question types you fuck up on.

Are you working with the Cambridge drill packets as well?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:59 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:sup ITFR you retaking?

Yeah. Totally aced the GMAT, so no I'm back to being all in with the LSAT. I'm really starting to worry about my TX chances.

just go to b-school and profit

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:00 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
NEXT.

It'll grow on you like I did

" :wink: " -nlee

You win the thread, OP.

jw316

Postby jw316 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
jw316 wrote:As for the sections being heavy on types I wasn't saying that to say one section is harder than another, I'm just trying to keep an eye out for any kind of pattern I notice in the test but don't want to "see" a pattern that isn't there.

There are definitely some types that get asked more than others. The LR Bible separates them into question types and the book is ordered in terms of what is the most popular vs. least. If you're not working with LsatQA or 7sage, I suggest you do - it tracks the question types you fuck up on.

Are you working with the Cambridge drill packets as well?

Hey thank you! I appreciate it. Yeah I've got my prior PT score breakdowns and such on LSATQA and just found out about the BR feature with 7sage so I used that to grade the PT I BR'ed today.

I do have the cambridge packets but haven't done much of them. I was going to use them if say I notice I keep getting "flaw" questions wrong or "strengthen except" questions or whatever. Right now my mistakes/wrong questions are too all over the board to definitively say "oh I'm having trouble with sufficient ass questions vs necessary ass questions"

re: Cambridge. Would you suggest otherwise?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:01 pm

jw316 wrote:

On PT 66, there were only 4 MBT/MSS questions whereas in PT 71, there were 11 MBT/MSS...and personally for me MBT/MSS tend to be time suckers.

ETA: I would just say continue drilling your weak points. For me, it's MBT/MSS and assumptions so I will continue focusing on them.

Thanks! I know it's only one PT (need quite a few more to really tell anything) but based on that breakdown would you say my weak points are timing and just the remaining question types that I haven't yet reached in the trainer? I haven't counted but I know it's quite a few.

I would probably say timing and being rusty from taking a 4 month break. I have the same issues with timing as well so I plan to continue drilling my weak points and weekly PT's. On that note, I just scored my best PT ever at 163, lol. You hit 169 in the past so you're probably just a bit rusty.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
NEXT.

It'll grow on you like I did

" :wink: " -nlee

:wink:

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:02 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:06 pm

jw316 wrote:re: Cambridge. Would you suggest otherwise?

What I've been doing lately is doing the first two levels of the Cambridge packets for questions I suck at. Since I'm retaking, I'm basing these weaknesses on my Sept. sitting. This is the first time I'm using the Cambridge packets. Working with the easier levels helps make the mechanic nature of each question type fairly apparent. My routine now is to work on PTs, BR and then assess weak points and drill the harder Q's remaining in the packets, since I am usually getting the harder ones wrong.

I would suggest drilling the packets along with the lessons you're doing in the Trainer, it helps reinforce the concepts and fine tunes your pattern recognition for certain question types.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:10 pm

Dirigo wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:
NEXT.

You don't like mine?? Please.

Hey sugar. I thought you quit on us for a hot minute.
I only associate you with Donna so this change is jarring.

sup spice...no, I needed a fresh start. Plus I kept getting irritated that other ppl also used Donna. So, I figured if quirkiness was overrated, class would win the day...lol

eta: audrey motivates me more than donna ever did ;)

jw316

Postby jw316 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:52 pm

nlee10 wrote:
jw316 wrote:

I would probably say timing and being rusty from taking a 4 month break. I have the same issues with timing as well so I plan to continue drilling my weak points and weekly PT's. On that note, I just scored my best PT ever at 163, lol. You hit 169 in the past so you're probably just a bit rusty.

Thank you! And congrats on your highest PT, it'll only get better! We're all going to crush this thing in Dec!

jw316

Postby jw316 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
jw316 wrote:re: Cambridge. Would you suggest otherwise?

What I've been doing lately is doing the first two levels of the Cambridge packets for questions I suck at. Since I'm retaking, I'm basing these weaknesses on my Sept. sitting. This is the first time I'm using the Cambridge packets. Working with the easier levels helps make the mechanic nature of each question type fairly apparent. My routine now is to work on PTs, BR and then assess weak points and drill the harder Q's remaining in the packets, since I am usually getting the harder ones wrong.

I would suggest drilling the packets along with the lessons you're doing in the Trainer, it helps reinforce the concepts and fine tunes your pattern recognition for certain question types.

Thank you!

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Didn't feel like drilling more RC...so I after my own PT 66 review, I watched 7Sage for the LG and Velocity LSAT for all RC and LR's.
Calling it a day. :D

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Dirigo wrote:PT's 66-73 over the next few weeks for me. I'm nervous because these most recent tests will be the best indication of what December 6th will be like.

Take 66 whenever you feel down. It was a great confidence booster for me. :D

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Dirigo wrote: Ugh how I envy the fact you're not taking in December.

I'm so glad I'm taking in Feb...but i know you're gonna kill it in Dec!

santoki

Postby santoki » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:58 am

ello chaps

i feel like my studies are slowing down...how do you guys stay motivated?

last PTs: 172, 171, 168. i have seen these PTs before in the past around two years ago so the scores arent totally legit.

there are a couple LR questions i miss per section that i slap myself for...and RC just makes me want to slap someone else every time.

RC TIPS/TRIX??

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:06 am

santoki wrote:ello chaps

i feel like my studies are slowing down...how do you guys stay motivated?

last PTs: 172, 171, 168. i have seen these PTs before in the past around two years ago so the scores arent totally legit.

there are a couple LR questions i miss per section that i slap myself for...and RC just makes me want to slap someone else every time.

RC TIPS/TRIX??

Welcome back!

RC continues to be our enemy in this thread.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:07 am

Hey everyone,

Missed all of you a little bit! Hope prep is going well for everyone. As for me, I am realizing that there are a lot of gaps in my prep. Hoping this last burst until December will be enough to get me over 170. Let us see!

LSATneurotic

Postby LSATneurotic » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:10 am

lawjag2015 wrote:Hey everyone,

Missed all of you a little bit! Hope prep is going well for everyone. As for me, I am realizing that there are a lot of gaps in my prep. Hoping this last burst until December will be enough to get me over 170. Let us see!

If you aren't consistently scoring where you want, wait til February. It's totally worth it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”