The Official December 2014 Study Group

portmanteaux

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby portmanteaux » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:36 pm

koala-fy wrote:
portmanteaux wrote: koala---how did you improve your performance on the more recent RC passages? I'm thinking of switching to the 60s this week, and then make sure I have time to review them thoroughly and maybe attempting them a second time before taking the PT's in the 50s.

I really wish I had a great answer for this, but honestly, I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I have found that newer RC sections take me longer to complete (I used to have 3 or 4 minutes left to spare) and that when I see I only have a few minutes left, I panic, freeze, and waste time just frantically reading questions without truly absorbing what's being said. I'm training myself to not freak out like that, and part of this is shaving down time so I have a couple minutes to prevent the freak-outs and to go back to tough questions. And when I do hit questions that are tough, I'm training myself to circle it, pick an answer choice, and MOVE ON. It's only worth one point and it's not worth sinking so much time into. That has helped me speed up. I also think it is worth it to spend a bit more time up front to make sure you REALLY understand the passage and can move through the questions more quickly. Something that I've found that helps me with this is pausing just for a moment after each paragraph and restating the main point of the paragraph to myself.

Again, I'm still trying to figure this out for myself, but that's what I've got so far. Any more help regarding newer RC would be greatly appreciated!!

hmm thanks! I'll keep working on it and see how it goes this week. we'll get there!!

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:45 am

We need more west coasters here. :wink:

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:22 am

nlee10 wrote:We need more west coasters here. :wink:

nahh

portmanteaux

Postby portmanteaux » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:19 am

I'm on the west coast! :) going to start a practice test soon

longhorn65

Postby longhorn65 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:25 am

Well all, after an extended period of testing and dr. visits I have recently learned I have extreme ADHD and that I have been vastly under performing since reaching college because of this. So now knowing this I have some medicine and I am reevaluating my approach to the lsat. Here is my plan for the next month please give any input you see fit,
1.(week 1) Go through the PS LR bible, evaluating in depth what each "hint" means for me and my approach
2. drill LR question consistantly each day from here on out. Go through PS LG bible, breaking the games down my group and finding an efficient but consistant approach for each game
3.(week 2)focus on the reading passages, via drilling a ton, and 3 practice tests this week
4. (Week 3) at minimum 3 practice tests this week and non stop drilling
5. (week 4) Drill weak points and PT focusing on efficiency and testing shortcuts (as in skipping around to get the most correct answers possible)
TIME is clearly tight for me but this isn't my first time studying for it so I think this is my best approach, What do you guys think?

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:42 am

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:54 am

portmanteaux wrote:

I'm on the west coast! :) going to start a practice test soon

Good luck!

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:56 am

After I come back from the gym, my schedule:

-76 MSS (All Level 1's and 2's)
-19 Complete the Passage (All Level 1-4)
-Continue rereading Trainer for LR

-6-10PM BP class covering Comparative Reading and Combo games. RC drains me at night so limiting RC during the day.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:01 pm

longhorn65 wrote:Well all, after an extended period of testing and dr. visits I have recently learned I have extreme ADHD and that I have been vastly under performing since reaching college because of this. So now knowing this I have some medicine and I am reevaluating my approach to the lsat. Here is my plan for the next month please give any input you see fit,
1.(week 1) Go through the PS LR bible, evaluating in depth what each "hint" means for me and my approach
2. drill LR question consistantly each day from here on out. Go through PS LG bible, breaking the games down my group and finding an efficient but consistant approach for each game
3.(week 2)focus on the reading passages, via drilling a ton, and 3 practice tests this week
5. (week 4) Drill weak points and PT focusing on efficiency and testing shortcuts (as in skipping around to get the most correct answers possible)
TIME is clearly tight for me but this isn't my first time studying for it so I think this is my best approach, What do you guys think?

dont want you to feel ignored :p

If it works for you then there ya go, I may get distracted easily but as far as I know I dont have ADHD so not much valuable input to give

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:17 pm

mist4bison wrote:
longhorn65 wrote:Well all, after an extended period of testing and dr. visits I have recently learned I have extreme ADHD and that I have been vastly under performing since reaching college because of this. So now knowing this I have some medicine and I am reevaluating my approach to the lsat. Here is my plan for the next month please give any input you see fit,

I have ADHD too, so I empathize. It blows, especially during LR and RC. Personally, I don't take meds (I have in the past, but no longer do), but it should be helpful for oyu in the process. You have a month to get used to them, so that's good. However, if you are just starting the meds, note that: 1) some may not work for you, 2) you will likely need to increase dosage as they start you off low, and 3) the side effects can be a bvtch (especially eating, so be careful to eat before taking the meds). If you have any specific questions about it feel free to Pm me.

Agreed. Same story here Mist. I do supplement some with nootropics which are a non-toxic/non-habit forming type of natural drug to enhance cognitive functioning...lots of research has been done on them, so if you're interested check them out. But, with some of them, they are fat soluble so you have to take with something fatty, etc. It's not as simple as just popping a pill, but def helps me to stay focused.

longhorn65

Postby longhorn65 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:22 pm

mist4bison wrote:

I have ADHD too, so I empathize. It blows, especially during LR and RC. Personally, I don't take meds (I have in the past, but no longer do), but it should be helpful for oyu in the process. You have a month to get used to them, so that's good. However, if you are just starting the meds, note that: 1) some may not work for you, 2) you will likely need to increase dosage as they start you off low, and 3) the side effects can be a bvtch (especially eating, so be careful to eat before taking the meds). If you have any specific questions about it feel free to Pm me.

Out of curiosity what have you taken? Im on vyvanse and I like it but it doesnt have a hugely noticeable effect. I believe this is due to its timed release via liver regulation but not to sure. Im a huge guy a 6'2" 290 so even though Im on 60mg I don't feel a ton. Also, LR and RC were near impossible for me thats kind of what made me realize I should go get tested for ADHD

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:33 pm

Can TLS get on this time change thing? Its just annoying seeing "posted 12:08" like NO, its only 11:30 now!! thats not even possible!

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Jgoods wrote:Can TLS get on this time change thing? Its just annoying seeing "posted 12:08" like NO, its only 11:30 now!! thats not even possible!

You have to change it yourself in user control panel

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Jgoods wrote:Can TLS get on this time change thing? Its just annoying seeing "posted 12:08" like NO, its only 11:30 now!! thats not even possible!

You have to change it yourself in user control panel

but but but why? why cant they do it for me? :evil:

eta: done, TLS should just do it automatically, bums

mornincounselor

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:57 pm

mist4bison wrote:
justabitunusual wrote:Agreed. Same story here Mist. I do supplement some with nootropics which are a non-toxic/non-habit forming type of natural drug to enhance cognitive functioning...lots of research has been done on them, so if you're interested check them out. But, with some of them, they are fat soluble so you have to take with something fatty, etc. It's not as simple as just popping a pill, but def helps me to stay focused.

I've actually never heard of those....do you really think they're helpful?

I had been thinking recently about going and getting a script for Vyvanse again, but it's such a hassle, especially because I live in a new city and I know most Drs I would see will assume I'm just getting them for recreational use. So annoying.

I sent you a PM.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:57 pm

mornincounselor wrote:One thing I still struggle with is when questions force us to refer back to something for every anwser choice, like when reading comp choices say "the former would..."; "the latter would...", or when LG says things like "both A and B are west of C"; both B and C are east of D".

yeah I hear ya, more so when its not a specific line reference and it happens to be something you didnt mark and have to go scanning for, I get frustrated trying to find it when I do I tend to misinterpret it or the AC themselves

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:12 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:26 pm

Well, I had another "eat pop tarts pre workout, break a new PR" experience today. 8)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:28 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longhorn65

Postby longhorn65 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:38 pm

mist4bison wrote:
longhorn65 wrote:
mist4bison wrote:

Out of curiosity what have you taken? Im on vyvanse and I like it but it doesnt have a hugely noticeable effect. I believe this is due to its timed release via liver regulation but not to sure. Im a huge guy a 6'2" 290 so even though Im on 60mg I don't feel a ton. Also, LR and RC were near impossible for me thats kind of what made me realize I should go get tested for ADHD

I liked Vyvanse the most, actually. It's a good one to start with. I had a DR that was pretty against stimulants, so she started me on Welbutrin, then Trattera, then Concerta, then something I don't remember, then Vyvanse. I don't remember how much I took. I think it was 60 or so, actually, but I was started on 20 and went up every 3 weeks. However, I'm 5'2 and 120 lbs. Weight definitely plays a role, which is probably why they started you at 60 and started me at 20. Usually they do make you wait 2-3 weeks to go up in dosage, though. Also, if you just started yesterday or something, it may take time to see a difference.

I just upped my dosage from 30mg to 60mg I figure Ill give it 2 or 3 weeks and then then see how Im doing and reevaluate dosage. I like that there is no extreme up or extreme crash associated with vyvanse though

monadologist

Postby monadologist » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:09 pm

PT58, really bad testing conditions, at a noisy library and kept getting distracted by these girls who wouldn't stfu and kept talking loudly ugh

Experimental (LR2 PT20) -4
LR1 - -5
RC - -5
LG - -4
LR2 - -4

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”