The Official December 2014 Study Group

Wieters

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Wieters » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Does anyone have any advice for the prep blues? By this I mean that because I know the PTs to not actually count for anything, I find myself slouching in my chair, sharpening pencils, taking a longer break etc. in a way that I wouldn't on an actual test.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:53 pm

Wieters wrote:Does anyone have any advice for the prep blues? By this I mean that because I know the PTs to not actually count for anything, I find myself slouching in my chair, sharpening pencils, taking a longer break etc. in a way that I wouldn't on an actual test.

-I turn off all electronics besides phone on airplane mode with the 7sage proctoring app.
-I wear clothes that I would wear to an actual LSAT test.
-If at home, I clear the table of anything other than the test, scantron, pencil(s).

But you're right, I catch myself getting lazy on some PT's sometimes.

koala-fy

Postby koala-fy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Wieters wrote:Does anyone have any advice for the prep blues? By this I mean that because I know the PTs to not actually count for anything, I find myself slouching in my chair, sharpening pencils, taking a longer break etc. in a way that I wouldn't on an actual test.

So this probably sounds kind of weird, but it seriously works...I used it a couple years ago to get myself to focus in class instead of thinking obsessively about something that was going on in my personal life. Just put a rubber band on your wrist and every time you feel yourself starting to get distracted/lazy/you feel mind start to wander, just snap it onto your wrist. After a while I found myself doing it less and less, and I just started doing it during LSAT prep and I can already feel myself becoming more focused.

Wieters

Postby Wieters » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:05 pm

nlee10 wrote:

-I turn off all electronics besides phone on airplane mode with the 7sage proctoring app.
-I wear clothes that I would wear to an actual LSAT test.
-If at home, I clear the table of anything other than the test, scantron, pencil(s).

But you're right, I catch myself getting lazy on some PT's sometimes.

The clothes thing is a good idea. I have been taking the test in sweatpants and slippers like I wouldn't on test day. Thank you!

koala-fy wrote:

So this probably sounds kind of weird, but it seriously works...I used it a couple years ago to get myself to focus in class instead of thinking obsessively about something that was going on in my personal life. Just put a rubber band on your wrist and every time you feel yourself starting to get distracted/lazy/you feel mind start to wander, just snap it onto your wrist. After a while I found myself doing it less and less, and I just started doing it during LSAT prep and I can already feel myself becoming more focused.

This totally sounds worth a try. Will you use the band on test day? I wouldn't want to lean on a crutch that I wouldn't have access to come the real thing. That being said, it still seems like a great way to make concentrating more habitual. Thanks!

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:11 pm

Wieters wrote:I have been taking the test in sweatpants and slippers like I wouldn't on test day

I took Sept in sweatpants and flip flops. What does everyone else wear?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:11 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Dirigo wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
Wieters wrote:I have been taking the test in sweatpants and slippers like I wouldn't on test day

I'm planning on sweatpants.

lol, even in socal, December will be cold enough for me to wear sweats. Then maybe a shirt and thin jacket, gotta dress in layers in case my test center cranks up the heater...

koala-fy

Postby koala-fy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Wieters wrote: This totally sounds worth a try. Will you use the band on test day? I wouldn't want to lean on a crutch that I wouldn't have access to come the real thing. That being said, it still seems like a great way to make concentrating more habitual. Thanks!

I likely won't use it on test day. I'm just using it now to make the most of my studying and train my brain not to wander, lol.

IsThisForReal wrote:

I wore leggings, sperries, a top, and a sweatshirt. I've heard of people going in professional attire, but LOL not gonna happen. I do think layers are important because you never know what you'll be hit with on test day.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Don't eat a big meal before doing any LSAT work. Delayed food coma response, lmao.

Got a 24/30 on varying weakening. For some reason, I find weaken a little harder than strengthen, especially weaken EXCEPT. Of the 6 missed, 3 were due to misreadings and 3 still perplexed. A step in the right direction. :wink:

Wieters

Postby Wieters » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Wieters wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:

I prefer being cool to warm; I find heat to make me drowsy while the cold is invigorating. So no sweatpants.

I will dress in shorts and a t-shirt to the test. My shorts kinda suck though because the button/zipper thing is constricting. Now that you mention it, though, I'm going to try and find the best of both worlds by finding a pair of shorts with an elastic waist like sweatpants, but not tight like workout clothes. Living the dream here.
Last edited by Wieters on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wieters

Postby Wieters » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:23 pm

koala-fy wrote:I wore leggings, sperries, a top, and a sweatshirt. I've heard of people going in professional attire, but LOL not gonna happen.

You never know who you might meet during the break. Great networking opportunity IMO.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:23 pm

Wieters wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:

I prefer being cool to warm; I find heat to make me drowsy while the cold is invigorating. So no sweatpants.

I will dress in shorts and a t-shirt to the test. My shorts kinda suck though because the button/zipper thing is constricting. Now that you mention it, though, I'm going to try and find the best of both worlds by finding a pair of shorts with an elastic waist like sweatpants, but not tight like workout clothes. Living the dream here.

Just wear like a mesh basketball shorts. Comfy and the only thing you can bring in will be in your baggy anyways.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wieters

Postby Wieters » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Wieters wrote:Now that you mention it, though, I'm going to try and find the best of both worlds by finding a pair of shorts with an elastic waist like sweatpants, but not tight like workout clothes. Living the dream here.

UPDATE: I think I'm just going to use a pair of scissors and shorten my sweatpants. I normally wear 7-inch shorts but this way I can customize the sweatpants such that they cover more of the thigh and provide more warmth given that test is in December.

Either that or search ebay/craigslist for a pair of those pants where you can zip off the pant leg.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:31 pm

mist4bison wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:

Honestly I'll probably be pretty basic and wear leggings, boots, and layers. I think I'll be fine at my center,but I know of a couple other places in my city that don't have an HVAC and so people burn in June and freeze in Dec. I'll probably wear a light blouse, cardigan, coat, and scarf. Basically a normal Sat outfit. Minus jewelry bc I play with it. Also, no makeup. I can't decide between contacts and glasses. Thinking contacts

I would pick which ev you prep more in... unless you swap back and forth equally

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

portmanteaux

Postby portmanteaux » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:40 pm

koala-fy wrote:
portmanteaux wrote:Is anyone else experiencing fluctuations in their scores with the newer tests?
I normally go -2 or -3 in LR and finish a few minutes early, but on test 49 I didn't finish one LR section and went -9(!!!)
But then on test 50, I finished the first LR section early and went -0 (for the first time). I also got more wrong in RC on PT 50 than usual. Do you think if the RC section is harder than usual, they make an LR/LG section a little easier to compensate?

It makes me nervous to have my scores fluctuate so much and I don't know if/how I should be adjusting my prep!

This 100% happened to me before I took the test in September. I think it's pretty agreed upon that on the newer tests (particularly in the 60s) RC gets harder, or at least feels harder. Unfortunately I didn't hit those tests until about 2 1/2 weeks prior to September's exam, so it's good you're finding this out a month before the test so you have time to adjust and not freak out like I did. I also do think other sections are "easier" if a test has one difficult section. I remember when I took PT 71 I went -7 on RC (ugh) but I only got -7 combined on both LR sections and LG (which left me with a 170 since the curve was -14, probably because that section sucked so much).

Thanks Koala and Dirigo! I'll definitely start drilling more LR questions.

koala---how did you improve your performance on the more recent RC passages? I'm thinking of switching to the 60s this week, and then make sure I have time to review them thoroughly and maybe attempting them a second time before taking the PT's in the 50s.

portmanteaux

Postby portmanteaux » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:42 pm

Jgoods wrote:
mist4bison wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:

Honestly I'll probably be pretty basic and wear leggings, boots, and layers. I think I'll be fine at my center,but I know of a couple other places in my city that don't have an HVAC and so people burn in June and freeze in Dec. I'll probably wear a light blouse, cardigan, coat, and scarf. Basically a normal Sat outfit. Minus jewelry bc I play with it. Also, no makeup. I can't decide between contacts and glasses. Thinking contacts

I would pick which ev you prep more in... unless you swap back and forth equally

I'm planning to wear contacts, but I'm going to bring my glasses in case I inexplicably get something in my eye or get allergies--have to be prepared for anything!

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:44 pm

portmanteaux

Postby portmanteaux » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:48 pm

mist4bison wrote:
portmanteaux wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
mist4bison wrote: I can't decide between contacts and glasses. Thinking contacts

I'm planning to wear contacts, but I'm going to bring my glasses in case I inexplicably get something in my eye or get allergies--have to be prepared for anything!

That's what I'm thinking as well. I actually think my glasses are a little more distracting. I've prepped in both and tend to do better with my contacts. Probably a good idea to put in a new pair the day before, though!

Yeah putting in a new pair is a good idea! I also feel more alert when I'm wearing contacts, I usually only wear my glasses at home.

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

portmanteaux

Postby portmanteaux » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:57 pm

peppermint wrote:Does anyone know if we're able to bring eye drops into the center? I'll be taking my exam in a desert environment so I'll prob have to deal with dry eyes :|

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can!

koala-fy

Postby koala-fy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:12 pm

portmanteaux wrote: koala---how did you improve your performance on the more recent RC passages? I'm thinking of switching to the 60s this week, and then make sure I have time to review them thoroughly and maybe attempting them a second time before taking the PT's in the 50s.

I really wish I had a great answer for this, but honestly, I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I have found that newer RC sections take me longer to complete (I used to have 3 or 4 minutes left to spare) and that when I see I only have a few minutes left, I panic, freeze, and waste time just frantically reading questions without truly absorbing what's being said. I'm training myself to not freak out like that, and part of this is shaving down time so I have a couple minutes to prevent the freak-outs and to go back to tough questions. And when I do hit questions that are tough, I'm training myself to circle it, pick an answer choice, and MOVE ON. It's only worth one point and it's not worth sinking so much time into. That has helped me speed up. I also think it is worth it to spend a bit more time up front to make sure you REALLY understand the passage and can move through the questions more quickly. Something that I've found that helps me with this is pausing just for a moment after each paragraph and restating the main point of the paragraph to myself.

Again, I'm still trying to figure this out for myself, but that's what I've got so far. Any more help regarding newer RC would be greatly appreciated!!

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:17 pm

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”