The Official December 2014 Study Group

champv17

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby champv17 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:48 pm

Just wanted to check in. I am taking the December LSAT as well. I was planning for the September one, but I have pushed it back.

One thing that I want to emphasize as well is the importance of drilling. I have read PS + Manhattan books and completed 30 exams and I am still scoring only around 167. ( Biggest weakness is defiantly RC: -4 to -7). But I have done almost no drilling. I would complete the chapters and do the questions in the chapters and not really come back to the book.

The result was an initial boost in PT, followed by slow decline. This was due to not drilling the method and technique for every single question type.

Anyone else relate to this or know where I am coming from? Dirigo?

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:03 pm

well... i think i give up on the LSAT... lmao that was atrocious... i don't even wanna add up my raw score... that bad
I kinda avg my other stuff(lower end of avg, but that 3rd nd 4th game killed me... I blanked on 3rd so skipped for 4th and that gave me trouble too... dskafkdsbkfjndfl

eta: took about 6.30 for first and second game, woulda been closer to 6 on first but misread a rule in beginning but quickly noticed
#2: watching odyssey for g4... I'm an idiot... totally skimmed question too quick and missed the exactly 5 part -_- hate my life
the further into this explanation i get the more upset I get. It is so simple but the overlook of such an important factor killed me

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:23 pm

:lol:
Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 pm

mist4bison wrote:So, my Testmasters materials arrived today and I did the obligatory "LSAT materials!" Instagram post. I started browsing through #LSAT (because that's obviously the best way to utilize time I should be studying) and stumbled upon a post of one of those 35 min watches. Seriously considering buying one, which makes me feel really lame lol

not lame at all, there's plenty of people who use them. If you work better being able to track your time then go for it

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Dirigo wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:Thanks for the LG explanation, though I got the set-up pretty fast while doing the game. I was just not sure whether to draw in all the possible worlds. I started to but didn't end up writing an exhaustive list of all.

No. It's definitely a question driven game so don't draw all the worlds (there are probably a ton).

If that is talking about game 4 I would say yes, draw all worlds. After watching the video, there are only 4 possibilities and they are all completely set(well the 4th has the option of m/o for dietary) and if you can get them all set up within the first 4 min or so all the questions would take you 1-2min tops together (though that is if you can produce the worlds quick enough to make it worth while)

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Dirigo wrote:Yeah that third game is tricky. Notating the variables with a diagonal line like JY does in 7sage helps with that tricky rule.
All in all, I think it's a unique and weird game.

I would definitely redo game 4 tomorrow though. In-Out games with sub-categories show up quite frequently. The way 7sage sets those kind of games up (with the grid or whatever you call that) has really helped me keep the subcategories separate all the while keeping the in and out groups separate.

yeah Im def gunna try 3&4 tm, I'm going to watch the games on both sites, get both views. Though I need to remember to give it a shot in about a week since I will generally remember the answers tm, though it will be worth seeing if I can get the set up right

and after grading, it's nowhere near what I thought lol I woulda swore I went below 150, but alas 154 (though still nowhere near happy with it, I shoulda broke 160 on this one)

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:36 pm

1Lin2015

Postby 1Lin2015 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:41 pm

champv17 wrote:Just wanted to check in. I am taking the December LSAT as well. I was planning for the September one, but I have pushed it back.

One thing that I want to emphasize as well is the importance of drilling. I have read PS + Manhattan books and completed 30 exams and I am still scoring only around 167. ( Biggest weakness is defiantly RC: -4 to -7). But I have done almost no drilling. I would complete the chapters and do the questions in the chapters and not really come back to the book.

The result was an initial boost in PT, followed by slow decline. This was due to not drilling the method and technique for every single question type.

Champ, we're twins! I was studying for September, read bibles + manhattan, and am scoring high 160s (with RC being the bane of my existence). And I only just started drilling now. Given the amount of practice we've already done, it's tough to say how much drilling can help imo. It's not like we need to cement the process on question types or anything. In my case my LG and LR are near perfect (although I often leave 2/3 LR questions blank per section due to lack of time) and my RC is anywhere from a -4 to a - 8 (with timing being a bigger issue than LR). I'm hoping that drilling questions and passages gets my timing down for both and improves my accuracy in RC. In particular, I think it's important to keep track of our weaknesses in order to hurdle that 170. Do you use lsatqa or 7sage to track your scores?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

champv17

Postby champv17 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Yeah I feel the same way. LG are good. RC and LR drilling will be the focus.

LR drilling will start ASAP. I actually don't have the Cambridge book. I have Kaplan Mastery book. Seems like it will do the job.

For the RC, I am doing one passage in the morning and one at night every day. Best way to familiarize yourself with RC is to take as many as possible.

If you go this route, I recommend (obviously) trying to get every single question correct, while always trying to find shortcuts and improve your technique/timing when you are reviewing them. If you get the question right, why did you get it right, if you got it wrong, analyze that thought process as well. It's very time consuming and difficult but it will lead to a higher score.

champv17

Postby champv17 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:57 pm

1Lin2015 wrote:
champv17 wrote:Just wanted to check in. I am taking the December LSAT as well. I was planning for the September one, but I have pushed it back.

Champ, we're twins! I was studying for September, read bibles + manhattan, and am scoring high 160s (with RC being the bane of my existence). And I only just started drilling now. Given the amount of practice we've already done, it's tough to say how much drilling can help imo. It's not like we need to cement the process on question types or anything. In my case my LG and LR are near perfect (although I often leave 2/3 LR questions blank per section due to lack of time) and my RC is anywhere from a -4 to a - 8 (with timing being a bigger issue than LR). I'm hoping that drilling questions and passages gets my timing down for both and improves my accuracy in RC. In particular, I think it's important to keep track of our weaknesses in order to hurdle that 170. Do you use lsatqa or 7sage to track your scores?

Even though we are not where we want to be, it's great that we all found each other to provide some support.

I definitely do think drilling will make a huge difference. For LR we should know exactly what we are looking for in each question type: common correct answers and common incorrect ones. By drilling we will develop that recognition even faster.

For RC, it's all about being comfortable with our specific technique and doing as many of them as possible. I have just really started focusing hard on RC and I am beginning to see certain patterns of common questions that they ask and common answers.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:58 pm

:lol:
Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

champv17

Postby champv17 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:59 pm

BTW, do you guys think purchasing the LSAT Trainer will be useful to achieve that -0 in LR, or are the Manhattan and PS enough?

champv17

Postby champv17 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:02 pm

mist4bison wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
mist4bison wrote:So, my Testmasters materials arrived today and I did the obligatory "LSAT materials!" Instagram post. I started browsing through #LSAT (because that's obviously the best way to utilize time I should be studying) and stumbled upon a post of one of those 35 min watches. Seriously considering buying one, which makes me feel really lame lol

not lame at all, there's plenty of people who use them. If you work better being able to track your time then go for it

I've heard that they break easily. I also think that I'm probably better off just going as fast as possible. I check my watch like every 15 mins as is, so I can only imagine how much time I'd waste during the LSAT lol.

I just use a standard analog watch. You really don't need to buy the 35 min watch.
Just set the analog watch at 12:00 and once it hits the 7, you're done.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:07 pm

mist4bison wrote:
Jgoods wrote:

I've heard that they break easily. I also think that I'm probably better off just going as fast as possible. I check my watch like every 15 mins as is, so I can only imagine how much time I'd waste during the LSAT lol.

If your looking at your watch so often give a PT a shot without having one to look at and have a online/app proctor deal with the timing, you'll be able to see how you naturally go through the questions without knowing you have x minutes left

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:10 pm

working 50 hr/wk is rough, add anything else on to your day and study time is hard to fit in :/ this week has been pretty restricted, gotta make up for it this weekend I guess

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:12 pm

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:14 pm

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:15 pm

You guys are my motivation. Hope to score in the 160's by test day!

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16 pm

jrdavila09 wrote:
1Lin2015 wrote:So I just started drilling a few of the Cambridge packets. How do you guys go about drilling these? Do you do them untimed, determine an acceptable timing level based on the difficulty of the question, etc? When I take timed PTs, I struggle with timing in LR and RC, so I'm worried that I'm reinforcing bad habits if I were to drill the packets untimed. Any thoughts?

What I do is get the total number of questions per type and divide them by 4. That I have 4 equal number of drill sets to do per question type. First set is used to practice on before a prep test. Second set is to work on weaknesses and to continue drilling in general. Third and fourth set the same as the second set. Then after I'm done using that and hopefully done with all the reading materials I have. I will use PT 29-38 sections of each test in between non - PT'ing days to drill/practice timing/get used to the questions being mixed together. Even though I drilled 29-38 in the cambridge, there's no way your going to remember the answers entirely by time you get to this point (unless you have sherlock holmes memory!). It's all about PT'ing, Drilling, and Blind Review in my honest opinion.

Wow brah! This is amazeballs.

Can someone send me an amazon link of the cambridge packets? I want to make sure I'm buying the correct thing :shock:

nlee10 wrote:You guys are my motivation. Hope to score in the 160's by test day!

I believe in you!!!

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:20 pm

Dirigo wrote:
Jgoods wrote:working 50 hr/wk is rough, add anything else on to your day and study time is hard to fit in :/ this week has been pretty restricted, gotta make up for it this weekend I guess

Your schedule seems brutal considering you also have to do LSAT prep. Add on 10-20 more hours and you're a Biglaw junior associate.

9-5 M-F and 1/2-9 sunday its a rough and tiring life

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:27 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”