The Official December 2014 Study Group

sashafierce

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby sashafierce » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:11 pm

NYC test takers, I will be spending the last few weeks of my prep time in NYC can anyone recommend a good study area in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I plan to check out a few libraries in Brooklyn but some insight would be nice. Also, the spot has to have free wifi.

Thanks in advance!

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 pm

sashafierce wrote:NYC test takers, I will be spending the last few weeks of my prep time in NYC can anyone recommend a good study area in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I plan to check out a few libraries in Brooklyn but some insight would be nice. Also, the spot has to have free wifi.

Thanks in advance!

Great question. Cafés are always way too loud. I liked going to fro-yo places because they aren't crowded, but they also sometimes blast their music.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:17 pm

sashafierce wrote:NYC test takers, I will be spending the last few weeks of my prep time in NYC can anyone recommend a good study area in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I plan to check out a few libraries in Brooklyn but some insight would be nice. Also, the spot has to have free wifi.

Thanks in advance!

were u dead

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks in advance!

The Central Branch BPL in Grand Army Plaza (by the 2/3 train) is nice and quiet. And there's a Starbucks like 4 blocks away, if you wanna switch it up.

Come say hi.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:37 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:

Thanks in advance!

The Central Branch BPL in Grand Army Plaza (by the 2/3 train) is nice and quiet. And there's a Starbucks like 4 blocks away, if you wanna switch it up.

Come say hi.

Hi thanks, Central Branch BPL came up in my search, I will definitely check it out.

@sfoglia I tried taking a PT at Burbon Cafe in Union Square once it was horrible.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:39 pm

sashafierce wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Come say hi.

Hi thanks, Central Branch BPL came up in my search, I will definitely check it out.

@sfoglia I tried taking a PT at Burbon Cafe in Union Square once it was horrible.

Oooofff. Union Sq. is way too crazy. I try to avoid most places in the city for studying. BUT - I will say, the library by Bryant Park is a fucking dream. I haven't been there in a while, but 10/10. There's two - go to the older one with the nicer architecture.

sashafierce

Postby sashafierce » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Thanks in advance!

were u dead

:D not dead. Just not on TLS most days.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:01 pm

sashafierce wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

Thanks in advance!

were u dead

:D not dead. Just not on TLS most days.

I feel you yo, hope the prep is going well

hopeboaltberkeley

Postby hopeboaltberkeley » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks in advance!

If you go the cafe route, and don't mind ambient cafe noise Everyman Espresso is a nice place to read.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surf

Postby surf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 pm

can caffeine screw with your head in terms of ability to think clearly?

I don't drink caffeine ever really. today was filling up gas and felt tired so I grabbed 2 normal size red bulls and downed them within a couple hours. did half a PT and games shafted me...bad. LR was horrible. I feel like I can't think straight. so I gave up. am I just having an off day or was it the caffeine? not even sure if caffeine can cause that

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:29 pm

surf wrote:can caffeine screw with your head in terms of ability to think clearly?

I don't drink caffeine ever really. today was filling up gas and felt tired so I grabbed 2 normal size red bulls and downed them within a couple hours. did half a PT and games shafted me...bad. LR was horrible. I feel like I can't think straight. so I gave up. am I just having an off day or was it the caffeine? not even sure if caffeine can cause that

For me, caffeine helps me stay alert. However, I have to be careful with what I drink though, caffeine makes me go pee. haha

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:31 pm

surf wrote:can caffeine screw with your head in terms of ability to think clearly?

It was the two redbulls. Contrary to popular belief, they do not give you wings.

If I'm studying with Redbull, I would sip on it during a session. Same with coffee.

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:32 pm

2 red bulls is a lot if you never drink coffee/ any form of caffeine. Try a tall coffee from Starbucks--caffeine ought to help you focus, but too much makes you rush

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:32 pm

peppermint wrote:

Caffeine's a central nervous system stimulant, so if you aren't used to drinking it, it can def cause overstimulation (esp with 2 red bulls!) That's prob why you had trouble thinking properly. Once it clears your system, you'll be back to normal

HI MINT! Miss you qualifying with SCIENCE. :)

ETA: Also - what's the deal with caffeine powder? Would that be better (stirred in water, or regular beverage) versus drinking a coffee? Or snorted? I need to know. Thank you.

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:35 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

surf

Postby surf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:36 pm

ok. good to know. yea I never drink coffee either so I'll stay away from this shit!

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:40 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

thelincolnlawyer

Postby thelincolnlawyer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:42 pm

surf wrote:ok. good to know. yea I never drink coffee either so I'll stay away from this shit!

I had this philosophy until junior year of undergrad. Now I can't live without it

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Hey, Sasha, where are you taking your LSAT? You were right about Brooklyn College, obviously. Trying to decide where to schedule for February.

surf

Postby surf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:49 pm

thelincolnlawyer wrote:
surf wrote:ok. good to know. yea I never drink coffee either so I'll stay away from this shit!

I had this philosophy until junior year of undergrad. Now I can't live without it

man I'm waiting for that moment.... been told it'll come eventually. perhaps 1L

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:51 pm

(Also, Bill, thank you for inviting me to post ITT. Xoxo.)

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:05 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”