The Official December 2014 Study Group

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2721
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:57 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:JGoody lives under the GW bridge.

EDIT: GT, do you live in Westchester? I thought JGoody lived in the Island.


It's nice down there. I run under the bridge every morning. Sometimes I run over it, but I typically try to stay as far away from NJ as possible.

eta: I think that answers your question.


Oh, okay. So you're from NJ.

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:24 pm

.
Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Smallville
Posts: 4748
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 am

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:35 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:JGoody lives under the GW bridge.

EDIT: GT, do you live in Westchester? I thought JGoody lived in the Island.


It's nice down there. I run under the bridge every morning. Sometimes I run over it, but I typically try to stay as far away from NJ as possible.

eta: I think that answers your question.


eta: I hear ya... that place smells

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Post removed.

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:47 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by mornincounselor on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:48 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
surf
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby surf » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Dirigo wrote: Bronx.


first time to NY... mom's family lives in the bronx. bars on windows. there was a shooting not far from the house I was staying at. I thought it was pretty cool

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:15 pm

.
Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Yeezus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:15 pm

I never got the NJ hate. And no, I don't live in Jersey.

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:17 pm

mornincounselor wrote:I've been running through every RC passage and I found one which I think is especially difficult. PT 53 passage 2. Anyone else find this passage very difficult? I defintely did not get it, even after having done the passage multiple times before.


English common law?
Yeah, that passage is the worst.

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2721
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Dirigo wrote:
GreenTee wrote:It's nice down there. I run under the bridge every morning. Sometimes I run over it, but I typically try to stay as far away from NJ as possible.

Hey everybody, catch the shade being thrown by the kid who lives mere feet from the Bronx.


BROOKLYN TIL I DIE.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:BROOKLYN TIL I DIE.

crippin' aint easy

User avatar
Shakawkaw
Posts: 2721
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Shakawkaw » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:BROOKLYN TIL I DIE.

crippin' aint easy


Basically my Diversity Statement.

User avatar
WorldsCollide
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:57 am

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:06 pm

Back from non-TLS land! (Damn you midterms and the shortest weekends ever).

So I have an LSAT related (stupid) question... how do you all approach "most strongly supported" questions different than "must be true" questions?
Last edited by WorldsCollide on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:27 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:Back from non-TLS land! (Damn you midterms and the shortest weekends ever).

So I have an LSAT related (stupid) question... how do you all approach "most strongly supported" questions different than "must be true" questions?


Actually, yes. MSS questions don't tend to be as clear cut and logically perfect as MBT questions. Sometimes the answer to an MSS question can fall more in the territory of a strengthen question, with the caveat being that you're not really supporting a gap in reasoning (MSS stims are not generally arguments), but rather you're looking for the statement that would be most strengthened by the statements in the stim. The subtle difference between that and MBT is that is doesn't necessarily follow. It's just supported.

User avatar
WorldsCollide
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:57 am

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:29 pm

GreenTee wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:Back from non-TLS land! (Damn you midterms and the shortest weekends ever).

So I have an LSAT related (stupid) question... how do you all approach "most strongly supported" questions different than "must be true" questions?


Actually, yes. MSS questions don't tend to be as clear cut and logically perfect as MBT questions. Sometimes the answer to an MSS question can fall more in the territory of a strengthen question, with the caveat being that you're not really supporting a gap in reasoning (MSS stims are not generally arguments), but rather you're looking for the statement that would be most strengthened by the statements in the stim. The subtle difference between that and MBT is that is doesn't necessarily follow. It's just supported.


So kind of like a hybrid of MBT and Strengthen?

User avatar
flash21
Posts: 1536
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby flash21 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:39 pm

guys anyone done PT 68 game no.4? Pretty ridiculous.. basically froze up got 2 correct missed the rest lol.

30 minute 7sage explaination ..

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Yeezus » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:52 pm

flash21 wrote:guys anyone done PT 68 game no.4? Pretty ridiculous.. basically froze up got 2 correct missed the rest lol.

30 minute 7sage explaination ..


Yeah, definitely the most time consuming game ever. I'm not sure if it's possible to finish that one in less than 12-13 minutes. I just pray we don't get a game like that.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:53 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:
GreenTee wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:Back from non-TLS land! (Damn you midterms and the shortest weekends ever).

So I have an LSAT related (stupid) question... how do you all approach "most strongly supported" questions different than "must be true" questions?


Actually, yes. MSS questions don't tend to be as clear cut and logically perfect as MBT questions. Sometimes the answer to an MSS question can fall more in the territory of a strengthen question, with the caveat being that you're not really supporting a gap in reasoning (MSS stims are not generally arguments), but rather you're looking for the statement that would be most strengthened by the statements in the stim. The subtle difference between that and MBT is that is doesn't necessarily follow. It's just supported.


So kind of like a hybrid of MBT and Strengthen?

No not at all. These are inferences questions not assumption questions. Get the strengthen idea out of your head. FOr all intents and purposes these are MBT questions basically. You are just picking what can most logically be inferred from the stim. W no premise conclusion there is no argument to strengthen

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:
GreenTee wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:Back from non-TLS land! (Damn you midterms and the shortest weekends ever).

So I have an LSAT related (stupid) question... how do you all approach "most strongly supported" questions different than "must be true" questions?


Actually, yes. MSS questions don't tend to be as clear cut and logically perfect as MBT questions. Sometimes the answer to an MSS question can fall more in the territory of a strengthen question, with the caveat being that you're not really supporting a gap in reasoning (MSS stims are not generally arguments), but rather you're looking for the statement that would be most strengthened by the statements in the stim. The subtle difference between that and MBT is that is doesn't necessarily follow. It's just supported.


So kind of like a hybrid of MBT and Strengthen?

No not at all. These are inferences questions not assumption questions. Get the strengthen idea out of your head. FOr all intents and purposes these are MBT questions basically. You are just picking what can most logically be inferred from the stim. W no premise conclusion there is no argument to strengthen


Now wait a minute, I think the strengthen comparison had merit, as long as you realize that it's working in the opposite direction. The correct answer choice in a MSS question is supported by the statements in the stim, rather than the other way around. But it's more similar to strengthen than MBT in the sense that the correct answer is not always logically necessary.

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Tbf GT I haven't read what you posted as I'm at the gym and won't read ANYThing over a sentence. Just saw MSS and strengthen. I'm sure what GT said had merit But DK BC DIDNT READ

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk
Posts: 2791
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Stolen from FA:

Image

User avatar
WorldsCollide
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:57 am

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm

I guess I'll just drill MSS and see which approach gets me the most correct :shock:

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:09 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenTee
Posts: 1364
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:10 pm

.
Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:10 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests