The Official December 2014 Study Group

GreenTee

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:11 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:19 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Jgoods wrote:Totally wrote out some stupid post but decided to not post it so instead I'm posting to tell yall about the post I didn't post

This is a strong post. I'm saying this primarily to reinforce good behavior.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:29 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmarieb

Postby dmarieb » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:35 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
dmarieb wrote:
nlee10 wrote:
dmarieb wrote:Hi all, I'm taking the LSAT for the first time in December, and applying this cycle. I'm sure my question is answered multiple times on this thread and others, but I was hoping someone could answer my question anyway so I don't have to go searching when I should be studying.

Is it better to go through a book (Powerscore, whatever) on one section then drill that like crazy and then move on to the next section and do the same, or is there a preferred method? I was working through the LG Bible but switched to LR halfway through because I was going crazy.

Any advice would be really helpful. My diagnostic was 143 (before I had every looked at anything having to do with a LSAT) and I just want at least a 160 (which is where my choice school starts giving scholarships).

Thank you!

It's really up to preference whether you want to study one section or multiple sections at a time as long as you get drilling done. That being said, when was your diagnostic taken? There's only like 41 days left and a 17 point increase is quite a lot in this time frame.

I took the diagnostic in June and was planning on taking the Sept. test but I wasn't able to. I only got in a couple weeks of studying during that time. I just recently started studying again a couple weeks ago. Honestly, I could probably get into the schools I'm looking at with a low to mid-150s (I have to stay in South Florida) but I was hoping for some money.
I really don't even know where my weaknesses are - it's either both LG and LR or these books just aren't working for me. But I feel like I don't want to spend additional money or time on new books.. should I just start drilling and taking PTs??

ETA - I feel like I am getting lost in all the technical how-to of the Bibles, but I don't know if there is any other way to learn it??

If you're just going to drill without getting the techniques down, you're setting yourself up for, possibly, just wasting materials. I would cover the Bibles section by section, and then do a set of questions from the Cambridge packets. Start at the easy ones, look for connections in how the questions are presented and what the wrong + right answers sound like. Then move on to the harder ones. There are online resources that provide extra insight - the Manhattan LSAT forums are great for breaking down questions. Velocity has some free online stuff. 7Sage has a free trial, and they have free videos of the LG. Personally, I didn't find the LG bible useful and 7Sage's techniques were more intuitive for me.

Thanks for the responses. I think based on you and nlee's input I think I'll switch to Manhattan, Cambridge and 7Sage and occasionally reference back to the Bibles.

Quick question - Powerscore is pretty adamant about reading in order for LR while another book I was looking at (can't recall which) said to read the question first so you know what you're looking for in the stimulus. I haven't tried reading the question first (I think I will) but does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:38 pm

imo - I read stimulus to question because with more practice, I can already know where a question is headed based on the stim.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:39 pm

dmarieb wrote:Thanks for the responses. I think based on you and nlee's input I think I'll switch to Manhattan, Cambridge and 7Sage and occasionally reference back to the Bibles.

Quick question - Powerscore is pretty adamant about reading in order for LR while another book I was looking at (can't recall which) said to read the question first so you know what you're looking for in the stimulus. I haven't tried reading the question first (I think I will) but does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

I say this is preferential as well. I personally prefer reading the Question first because I know what to look for while reading the stimulus.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:43 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Jgoods wrote:Totally wrote out some stupid post but decided to not post it so instead I'm posting to tell yall about the post I didn't post

This is a strong post. I'm saying this primarily to reinforce good behavior.

So, GT, we're (I'm) dying to know what the post-coitus PT results were.

jw316

Postby jw316 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:50 pm

nlee10 wrote:
dmarieb wrote:Thanks for the responses. I think based on you and nlee's input I think I'll switch to Manhattan, Cambridge and 7Sage and occasionally reference back to the Bibles.

I say this is preferential as well. I personally prefer reading the Question first because I know what to look for while reading the stimulus.

I've seen both as well (Testmasters was Stimulus-->Stem with the argument that as you're exposed to them you'll be able to just know half way through the stim what kind of question it is; Trainer was Stem-->Stimulus with the above argument that it tips you off as to what to look for in the stim) and FWIW one of the guys that writes questions for the LSAT basically said Stem-->Stimulus as well. Totally up to you.

dmarieb

Postby dmarieb » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:59 pm

jw316 wrote:
nlee10 wrote:

I've seen both as well (Testmasters was Stimulus-->Stem with the argument that as you're exposed to them you'll be able to just know half way through the stim what kind of question it is; Trainer was Stem-->Stimulus with the above argument that it tips you off as to what to look for in the stim) and FWIW one of the guys that writes questions for the LSAT basically said Stem-->Stimulus as well. Totally up to you.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:02 pm

nlee10 wrote:

i also read the question first bc im basically a retard and do whatever i can to decrease this

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:31 pm

GreenTee wrote:10 out of 10 would recommend coitus before LSAT.

im callin fucking troll

this is from the sept study thread

GreenTee wrote:Celibacy experiment update (for science):

Sex last night was spectacular. Something about empiricism really revs my engine.

[...]I will say this: I felt slower today. Definitely not as sharp. .

Can we get GT perma'd please, throwing out inconsistent advice RE SEX N LSAT

MODS PLZ

ETA: renege perma as GT is my favorite poaster, but i think a week to teach a lesson is in order

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:37 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:MODS PLZ

Can I have last words?

In my defense, I used to think that faster was better. After September, I now know that slower is better.

Oh, and the same applies to the LSAT.

i seeee what you did there.

ban request renege'd too bad cant unpush the red exclamation point bye gt

awesome PT scores tho, all thats left to say is quit bein a bitch and replicate it on game day bc you obvi know it front and back

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:38 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:42 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:back

Quoted for emphasis.

quoted bc this is a GT's back pw callout

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:42 pm

GreenTee wrote:10 out of 10 would recommend coitus before LSAT.

Credited. Segggzzz.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:44 pm

GreenTee wrote:

Can I have last words?

In my defense, I used to think that faster was better. After September, I now know that slower is better.

Can you go into this a bit? Slower like, take your time with each question?

segz

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:44 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
GreenTee wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:back

Quoted for emphasis.

quoted bc this is a GT's back pw callout

PW time!

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
GreenTee wrote:

Can I have last words?

segz

GT is notorious for finishing PTS in 13 minutes. He left the testing center by 10:14am

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
GreenTee wrote:

Can I have last words?

segz

GT is notorious for finishing PTS in 13 minutes. He left the testing center by 10:14am

Damn, GT. Colonel is calling you out. That was totally segz related.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:48 pm

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:51 pm

surf wrote:
BillPackets wrote:
surf wrote:i won't even attempt an untimed test.... it'll be drastically different than my timed pt i'm sure and really piss me off haha

my methods right now is take a PT, and then review it like crazy. wait a day or two, take another PT, repeat.

doing pretty great on games right now though. which is awesome cause I used to suck

What's your typical score breakdown e.g how many misses per section

today was shit. -8 LR -11 RC -6 games -8 LR
honestly I'll take in Dec but probably end up retaking. I'm slow for improvement apparently haha

What kinds of questions are you missing on LR ? RC ? Any patterns ?

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:52 pm

GreenTee wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:segz

slows down my though process significantly, but it forces me to think more deeply and carefully, so much less likely to make stupid mistakes.

GT do you recommend a test center fap on december 6

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”