motivation on the PTs.

Also, sup Bill

I'm just loling that this quote is still kickin

What's funny is you thought itd die

Not as funny as your face.

GreenTee

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby GreenTee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmarieb

Postby dmarieb » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi all, I'm taking the LSAT for the first time in December, and applying this cycle. I'm sure my question is answered multiple times on this thread and others, but I was hoping someone could answer my question anyway so I don't have to go searching when I should be studying.

Is it better to go through a book (Powerscore, whatever) on one section then drill that like crazy and then move on to the next section and do the same, or is there a preferred method? I was working through the LG Bible but switched to LR halfway through because I was going crazy.

Any advice would be really helpful. My diagnostic was 143 (before I had every looked at anything having to do with a LSAT) and I just want at least a 160 (which is where my choice school starts giving scholarships).

Thank you!

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:51 pm

dmarieb wrote:Hi all, I'm taking the LSAT for the first time in December, and applying this cycle. I'm sure my question is answered multiple times on this thread and others, but I was hoping someone could answer my question anyway so I don't have to go searching when I should be studying.

Is it better to go through a book (Powerscore, whatever) on one section then drill that like crazy and then move on to the next section and do the same, or is there a preferred method? I was working through the LG Bible but switched to LR halfway through because I was going crazy.

Any advice would be really helpful. My diagnostic was 143 (before I had every looked at anything having to do with a LSAT) and I just want at least a 160 (which is where my choice school starts giving scholarships).

Thank you!

It's really up to preference whether you want to study one section or multiple sections at a time as long as you get drilling done. That being said, when was your diagnostic taken? There's only like 41 days left and a 17 point increase is quite a lot in this time frame.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 pm

dmarieb wrote:Hi all, I'm taking the LSAT for the first time in December, and applying this cycle. I'm sure my question is answered multiple times on this thread and others, but I was hoping someone could answer my question anyway so I don't have to go searching when I should be studying.

Thank you!

Welcome. The general consensus is that the way you study is up to you and your own preferences. If you find something works, stick to it.

I find that the books (I can only speak to the PB and Trainer because I haven't used MLSAT or anything else) generally build on skills as they go on. So, for example, if you jump around in the book, you will probably have a bad time. So in that sense, yes - I would focus on reading the book in the way it is presented. They have drills at the end of the section, and you can always supplement that with the Cambridge packets. After you have read the book cover to cover, you can jump to sections and revisit ones that you find you're experiencing difficulties with once you start PTing.

I would also be pro switching it up. So, for example, spend a day or two on LG, then do LR, RC, etc. At this stage in my prep (since I'm retaking) I find it useful to do a little of each section each day so that my skills are on point. It's really up to you and where your weaknesses are.

HTH. Good luck!

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:What's funny is you thought itd die

Sup eff off

dmarieb

Postby dmarieb » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:16 pm

nlee10 wrote:

Thank you!

It's really up to preference whether you want to study one section or multiple sections at a time as long as you get drilling done. That being said, when was your diagnostic taken? There's only like 41 days left and a 17 point increase is quite a lot in this time frame.

I took the diagnostic in June and was planning on taking the Sept. test but I wasn't able to. I only got in a couple weeks of studying during that time. I just recently started studying again a couple weeks ago. Honestly, I could probably get into the schools I'm looking at with a low to mid-150s (I have to stay in South Florida) but I was hoping for some money.
I really don't even know where my weaknesses are - it's either both LG and LR or these books just aren't working for me. But I feel like I don't want to spend additional money or time on new books.. should I just start drilling and taking PTs??

ETA - I feel like I am getting lost in all the technical how-to of the Bibles, but I don't know if there is any other way to learn it??

surf

Postby surf » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:36 pm

anyone think it's possible to increase 6 or so points by december? kind of in a rut. stuck in mid to high 150s atm.

if not, feb or june it is, and next cycle. could have worse problems I reckon.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:42 pm

dmarieb wrote:I took the diagnostic in June and was planning on taking the Sept. test but I wasn't able to. I only got in a couple weeks of studying during that time. I just recently started studying again a couple weeks ago. Honestly, I could probably get into the schools I'm looking at with a low to mid-150s (I have to stay in South Florida) but I was hoping for some money.
I really don't even know where my weaknesses are - it's either both LG and LR or these books just aren't working for me. But I feel like I don't want to spend additional money or time on new books.. should I just start drilling and taking PTs??

ETA - I feel like I am getting lost in all the technical how-to of the Bibles, but I don't know if there is any other way to learn it??

I had a similar problem. I also used the Bibles just because they were highly recommended online. After a few weeks, they weren't helping and ditched them for Manhattan LR. My scores just at least 5 points after using the Manhattan LR + Cambridge Drilling. For LG, I bought the Blueprint LG book and learned a lot more compared to the LG Bible.

Improving is possible considering I just hit 160 Friday compared to my diagnostic score of 136 back in July...

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:43 pm

dmarieb wrote:
nlee10 wrote:

Thank you!

I took the diagnostic in June and was planning on taking the Sept. test but I wasn't able to. I only got in a couple weeks of studying during that time. I just recently started studying again a couple weeks ago. Honestly, I could probably get into the schools I'm looking at with a low to mid-150s (I have to stay in South Florida) but I was hoping for some money.

If you're just going to drill without getting the techniques down, you're setting yourself up for, possibly, just wasting materials. I would cover the Bibles section by section, and then do a set of questions from the Cambridge packets. Start at the easy ones, look for connections in how the questions are presented and what the wrong + right answers sound like. Then move on to the harder ones. There are online resources that provide extra insight - the Manhattan LSAT forums are great for breaking down questions. Velocity has some free online stuff. 7Sage has a free trial, and they have free videos of the LG. Personally, I didn't find the LG bible useful and 7Sage's techniques were more intuitive for me.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:44 pm

surf wrote:anyone think it's possible to increase 6 or so points by december? kind of in a rut. stuck in mid to high 150s atm.

Yes. Possible. Drill baby drill.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:44 pm

surf wrote:anyone think it's possible to increase 6 or so points by december? kind of in a rut. stuck in mid to high 150s atm.

I think so. 41 days is still ample time to drill, PT, and review. I can certainly hit 160+ untimed now so I'm focusing on timing, which still kills me on LG and to an extent LR.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:46 pm

nlee10 wrote:

I think so. 41 days is still ample time to drill, PT, and review. I can certainly hit 160+ untimed now so I'm focusing on timing, which still kills me on LG and to an extent LR.

Nlee, are you studying FT? Cause I know you take the BP course. You are a beast. Just really inspired by your gains.

surf

Postby surf » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:46 pm

i won't even attempt an untimed test.... it'll be drastically different than my timed pt i'm sure and really piss me off haha

my methods right now is take a PT, and then review it like crazy. wait a day or two, take another PT, repeat.

doing pretty great on games right now though. which is awesome cause I used to suck

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
nlee10 wrote:

Nlee, are you studying FT? Cause I know you take the BP course. You are a beast. Just really inspired by your gains.

Yessir (or ma'am). Graduated college in June and having worked internships and business projects (business major), I wanted to study FT.

Thanks! Let's be honest, I don't think a typical business degree would prepare a lot of people for the LSAT, lmao. It really took me a couple months to get back into habit of actually studying and is finally paying off. I never really studied in my business classes since they were mostly project-oriented. lol

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:00 pm

nlee10 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
nlee10 wrote:

Yessir (or ma'am). Graduated college in June and having worked internships and business projects (business major), I wanted to study FT.

Thanks! Let's be honest, I don't think a typical business degree would prepare a lot of people for the LSAT, lmao. It really took me a couple months to get back into habit of actually studying and is finally paying off. I never really studied in my business classes since they were mostly project-oriented. lol

You can refer to me as a human. Gender is a social construct anyway. (I iz a lady.)

I feel that. I'm not sure any major can prepare you adequately enough for the LSATs. Even as a philosophy major, I feel so inadequate sometimes. I think taking formal logic helped, a little. But even that course feels like it was ages ago. And I read a ton of dense material for my courses and RC still gets me every time. I guess that's one of the cool things about the LSATs.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:What's funny is you thought itd die

Sup eff off

Damn okay.

Leaving da boards 4eva. GOOD LUCK MY FELLOW TLS'ers.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:You can refer to me as a human. Gender is a social construct anyway. (I iz a lady.)

I feel that. I'm not sure any major can prepare you adequately enough for the LSATs. Even as a philosophy major, I feel so inadequate sometimes. I think taking formal logic helped, a little. But even that course feels like it was ages ago. And I read a ton of dense material for my courses and RC still gets me every time. I guess that's one of the cool things about the LSATs.

:)

One tip I have implemented into RC is trying to become interested in the topic discussed in the passage. Sounds simple enough, but I REALLY try to act as if I'm totally interested in whatever science hypothesis or artist X's contributions etc etc. Seems to be working thus far. Finding it easier to read for structure and have been killing it on RC passages for my class hw. lol

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:09 pm

nlee10 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:You can refer to me as a human. Gender is a social construct anyway. (I iz a lady.)

:)

One tip I have implemented into RC is trying to become interested in the topic discussed in the passage. Sounds simple enough, but I REALLY try to act as if I'm totally interested in whatever science hypothesis or artist X's contributions etc etc. Seems to be working thus far. Finding it easier to read for structure and have been killing it on RC passages for my class hw. lol

Yes! I try to do that too re: making it interesting. I think my problem is I get bogged down in the details and then it starts to jumble in my head.

When you say read for structure (I've been putting RC off/have not looked at a passage since Sept.) do you mean like, summarizing the MP of each paragraph and noting details like authors VP and stuff? I'm trying to figure out the best way of making notations and what to read for without overdoing it.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:16 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:Yes! I try to do that too re: making it interesting. I think my problem is I get bogged down in the details and then it starts to jumble in my head.

When you say read for structure (I've been putting RC off/have not looked at a passage since Sept.) do you mean like, summarizing the MP of each paragraph and noting details like authors VP and stuff? I'm trying to figure out the best way of making notations and what to read for without overdoing it.

Yup. BP tells us to take note of the things you listed. Whenever I come across an example, VP, MP, etc, I just underline it and take a mental note. To write anything further, I think, would waste valuable time. And I would make a mental summary of each paragraph and why it's specifically placed in that order. It helps with the questions that ask for a paragraph role or a specific line reference and its role in the passage.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:23 pm

So, follow up - do you do a cursory read of the passage (like under 2 minutes) or do you find that taking longer is better?

BillPackets

Postby BillPackets » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:25 pm

surf wrote:i won't even attempt an untimed test.... it'll be drastically different than my timed pt i'm sure and really piss me off haha

my methods right now is take a PT, and then review it like crazy. wait a day or two, take another PT, repeat.

doing pretty great on games right now though. which is awesome cause I used to suck

What's your typical score breakdown e.g how many misses per section

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:So, follow up - do you do a cursory read of the passage (like under 2 minutes) or do you find that taking longer is better?

Yeah, I think spending a little bit more time upfront will actually save some time later in the questions. At the beginning of my prep when I was getting badly owned in RC, I speed read the passage literally in like a minute, but ended up not understanding anything. lmao.

Fixed it and I now spend about 2-3 minutes on a good read of the passage while taking a mental note of the important stuff. Going through the questions are now a lot quicker and with more confidence. I often refer back to the passage to confirm my answer choice but it doesn't take too long. I believe this change has me scoring over 19-20/27+ consistently now. I hope to use the remaining 41 days to get me to -3 to -5!

surf

Postby surf » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:00 pm

BillPackets wrote:
surf wrote:i won't even attempt an untimed test.... it'll be drastically different than my timed pt i'm sure and really piss me off haha

What's your typical score breakdown e.g how many misses per section

today was shit. -8 LR -11 RC -6 games -8 LR
honestly I'll take in Dec but probably end up retaking. I'm slow for improvement apparently haha

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Totally wrote out some stupid post but decided to not post it so instead I'm posting to tell yall about the post I didn't post

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”