The Official December 2014 Study Group

nlee10

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby nlee10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:03 pm

mornincounselor wrote:This isn't a test, it's a battle. Prepare in that way.

haha thanks. Hope you get a lot of studying done today.

Rhymes With Wolf

Postby Rhymes With Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:08 pm

nlee10 wrote:I lurked around a lot yesterday when scores were coming out. It appears that a lot of people scored below their PT average. As a first time taker in December, what are some tips to help me stay calm for test day other than being prepared LSAT-wise?

Always try and simulate test day protocol to a T when PTing, everything from when you wake up (some people have gone so far as to adjust their sleep cycle for the test) and what you eat (some log their food sensitivities as they experiment), to how you dress (layers, so that you can adjust to the test center conditions) and the pencils you use (that smooth, smooth Palmino; RIP Dr. Dre). Introduce moderate distractions (don't always take the test in perfectly quiet conditions; I know some virtual proctors have some paper rustling and occasional coughing for example) and irregularities like consecutive 4-section tests can help build focus and stamina.

My point is that you want to be so fine tuned that walking in for the real thing feels like you're taking just another practice test, of which you've taken countless of at that point. You can't control for everything, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't control for things that you can. Read up on successful test takers (lots of 180 scorers post their experience here) and strive to emulate some of their behaviors and habits that you find useful.

ugg

Post removed.

Postby ugg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by ugg on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Porkypots

Postby Porkypots » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:15 pm

I took a PT yesterday after my horrible score. I scored well above my real LSAT score. :/ For the past two weeks I have been reading the Manhattan LR book and doing section work from old PTs so I can use the 50-70s PTs. What else should I be doing? LR is by far my weakest section and I dont seem to be improving. LG and RC is all about timing for me, so I have to work on that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I need to improve 6-10pts.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:19 pm

theugg wrote:
Rhymes With Wolf wrote:
nlee10 wrote:I lurked around a lot yesterday when scores were coming out. It appears that a lot of people scored below their PT average. As a first time taker in December, what are some tips to help me stay calm for test day other than being prepared LSAT-wise?

Always try and simulate test day protocol to a T when PTing, everything from when you wake up (some people have gone so far as to adjust their sleep cycle for the test) and what you eat (some log their food sensitivities as they experiment), to how you dress (layers, so that you can adjust to the test center conditions) and the pencils you use (that smooth, smooth Palmino; RIP Dr. Dre). Introduce moderate distractions (don't always take the test in perfectly quiet conditions; I know some virtual proctors have some paper rustling and occasional coughing for example) and irregularities like consecutive 4-section tests can help build focus and stamina.

My point is that you want to be so fine tuned that walking in for the real thing feels like you're taking just another practice test, of which you've taken countless of at that point. You can't control for everything, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't control for things that you can. Read up on successful test takers (lots of 180 scorers post their experience here) and strive to emulate some of their behaviors and habits that you find useful.

Gonna start taking my PTs early in the morning to simulate test conditions. Ew at waking up so early, but that might have been a factor that contributed to my shit score. Just not used to it.

Thanks! haha. Fortunately, I wake up 7am everyday to workout and then study. 8)
I think I just need to continue working on simulated testing conditions. I will ask my friends to proctor the test for meh. lmao.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:22 pm

nlee10 wrote:
theugg wrote:
Rhymes With Wolf wrote:

Gonna start taking my PTs early in the morning to simulate test conditions. Ew at waking up so early, but that might have been a factor that contributed to my shit score. Just not used to it.

Thanks! haha. Fortunately, I wake up 7am everyday to workout and then study. 8)
I think I just need to continue working on simulated testing conditions. I will ask my friends to proctor the test for meh. lmao.

7 is late!

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

lawjag2015 wrote:7 is late!

^

I have to be up at 7 to get ready for work... waking up early is closer to 5... (tho law is cray and will say 3)

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Jgoods wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:7 is late!

^

I have to be up at 7 to get ready for work... waking up early is closer to 5... (tho law is cray and will say 3)

If only I can sleep earlier at night, then I'd be able to wake up before 7. Need to get my 7 hours of sleep. lol

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Rhymes With Wolf wrote:
GreenTee wrote:Thinking about doing something a little crazy. I'm scheduling 22 PTs between now and Dec, but I'm going to double them up. Instead of adding two experimental sections for a 6 section PT (as I had been doing before Sept), I'm going to just do two 4 section PTs back to back every saturday and sunday. Obviously I'll ease off the week before the test to mitigate any burnout I might be feeling, but I really want to hit this retake hard right off the bat.

I would suggest spacing out your tests for ample time to review. Remember that the test is just a measurement, a snapshot of what you know or are capable of at that moment. Use the test to identify weaknesses and make them your beotch before the next one. Taking another test the day after, without having reviewed properly and addressed your areas for improvement, will very likely just reflect the same level of ability, or habits, or comfort, etc.

The back to back PT idea, or even the testing in sequential days, has it's place. It can add good variety and build endurance, but it might be a bit much to do every single time you PT. These are just my two cents, your mileage may vary of course.

Hey wolf,

Thank for this. Your point is well taken. I should mention, though, that I've seen all 22 of these PTs already, and I scored in the 170s on nearly all of them (full timed testing conditions, 6 sections, distractions, the works). I really don't expect to be missing too many questions, so the reviews won't take very long. Also keep in mind that I have Monday through Friday to review and drill my weaknesses.

I want to do them all back-to-back as 8 section PTs because I want to cover as much material as possible before December. I want my problem solving routine to be so automatic that I don't even have to think about it. It has to be 100% habit. (As it turns out, my conscious brain isn't terribly reliable on test day.)

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Last edited by Shakawkaw on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:38 pm

theugg wrote:Gonna start taking my PTs early in the morning to simulate test conditions. Ew at waking up so early, but that might have been a factor that contributed to my shit score. Just not used to it.

This is a great point. I had PTed in the morning a few times, but not always.

Does anyone have any confidence that Sfoglia will have her sleep schedule together by the time she retakes? I anticipate a chorus of "no."

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:46 pm

sfoglia wrote:
theugg wrote:Gonna start taking my PTs early in the morning to simulate test conditions. Ew at waking up so early, but that might have been a factor that contributed to my shit score. Just not used to it.

This is a great point. I had PTed in the morning a few times, but not always.

Does anyone have any confidence that Sfoglia will have her sleep schedule together by the time she retakes? I anticipate a chorus of "noYes."

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:51 pm

jam313 wrote:I make my own LR drill packets so I'll supplement this with the lsatblog list I'm already using.

Jam - how are you finding time to make your own packets? Are you making them by question type, similar to what Cambridge offers? I tried making my own packets, but it proved to be an excruciatingly time consuming endeavor.

sfoglia

Postby sfoglia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:55 pm

GreenTee wrote:
sfoglia wrote:This is a great point. I had PTed in the morning a few times, but not always.

Does anyone have any confidence that Sfoglia will have her sleep schedule together by the time she retakes? I anticipate a chorus of "no."

Yes! I believe in you Fogs.

Side note: My sleep schedule before september was on point. Took every PT at 8:30 on the dot. Same warm up every time. Still fucked up royally on the real thing.

Soo... there's that. :|

Where is BJS to come in and say, "Where's Sfogs? She sleeping again? It's like 5pm now."

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Last edited by GreenTee on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KanGaHru

Postby KanGaHru » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 pm

Ok...Im over September. Time to buckle down and destroy December!

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:11 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waterandparchedearth

Postby waterandparchedearth » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Alright, sourcing opinions.

I have all the PT books except the 7,9,10-18 one. I'm taking in December (last planned take, as I'm applying this cycle and cancelled September) and right now my review consists of 5 PTs per week and plans to until the test. I was calculating out from what I have left and in order to keep that pace, I need exactly 10 more tests.

As I get closer I'm hoping to take the more recent tests as they're obviously more similar, but the only ones I don't have are the ~40-50, which aren't sold in that form and so are really expensive. Do you guys think it's okay to buy the PT book with the early tests? Or should I bite the bullet and spend about $80 to buy those 10 more recent PTs?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:21 pm

waterandparchedearth

Postby waterandparchedearth » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:28 pm

Dirigo wrote:
waterandparchedearth wrote:Alright, sourcing opinions.

I have all the PT books except the 7,9,10-18 one. I'm taking in December (last planned take, as I'm applying this cycle and cancelled September) and right now my review consists of 5 PTs per week and plans to until the test. I was calculating out from what I have left and in order to keep that pace, I need exactly 10 more tests.

As I get closer I'm hoping to take the more recent tests as they're obviously more similar, but the only ones I don't have are the ~40-50, which aren't sold in that form and so are really expensive. Do you guys think it's okay to buy the PT book with the early tests? Or should I bite the bullet and spend about $80 to buy those 10 more recent PTs?

I think biting the bullet would be way more useful than those early ones. What's the cost difference?
Also, I think 5 tests a week is too ambitious, but since GT has proven himself to be psychotic above (kidding), then go for it.

The cost difference is between $20 and $80, but you're probably right that it's worth it. I was leaning that way myself. And it would be if I were constrained by much, I agree, but I happen to not have classes until mid-afternoon three days a week and I'm shooting for the high 170s, so I think given the relative relaxation during the day otherwise (easy course load this semester) it shouldn't be unbearable. It hasn't been thus far, anyway. But thanks! Pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead and buy them.

koala-fy

Postby koala-fy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 pm

ETA: On my BP diagnostic test last month, I bombed the first section (RC) due to nerves and got a 151. Would've gotten a 154 if I scored my avg RC section score.

My biggest advice is not to let questions carry over. If there's a question, or questions, or even a section that doesn't go well, don't let those emotions or that frustration carry over. I felt great before the break, but as soon as I hit an LG question I couldn't immediately solve, I started to panic. That panic carried through the rest of LG and onto my final section (LR). Had I just relaxed, I might not be retaking right now. I think you have to train your brain to let go of a question once you are finished with it.

That said, thought I'd check in here, too. Disappointing September 2014 score well below my abilities/PT scores. I'm super overwhelmed and discouraged right now, but I'm lucky in that I can study full-time until December. It seems like my best bet would be to start drilling problem areas. I'm guessing the Cambridge packets are best for drilling?

justabitunusual

Postby justabitunusual » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Dirigo wrote:I'm currently annoyed with LSAC for not updating their table with the # of tests administered in September. Obviously a productive use of my time.

me too, yo!

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”