The Official December 2014 Study Group

nlee10

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby nlee10 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 am

Rhymes With Wolf wrote:
nlee10 wrote:I'm the type to track analytics. I love it so much. Especially when my diagnostic was a 136 during the summer...LsatQA shows a very beautiful line reaching 159. 8)

It certainly helps with identifying the most glaring weaknesses, and drilling them until they're strengths. That's the name of the game, after all.

The line DIPS were the most frustrating. X, X, X-8...WTF?, X :lol:

By Dec 6th, I WILL consistently be under -5 or better on RC. Currently fluctuating between -6 to -12 wrong. 0.o, Absolutely no consistency.

ugg

Post removed.

Postby ugg » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:07 am

Post removed.
Last edited by ugg on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhymes With Wolf

Postby Rhymes With Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:09 am

theugg wrote:If there isn't then the website is pointless.

Daww, my computer isn't loading all the icons, but I don't see anything about friending people. TLS could always fill that void though, right?

Wieters

Postby Wieters » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 am

theugg wrote:Never heard of LsatQA before

It's a site that you look at and initially think will be super useful/productive but actually end up returning to all the never.

Rhymes With Wolf

Postby Rhymes With Wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:23 am

Wieters wrote:It's a site that you look at and initially think will be super useful/productive but actually end up returning to all the never.

Eh, well, to each their own. I found it convenient both for scoring and for identifying persistent trends in LR, so that I could go back and drill by type. Coming back to studying after a year, all my data is still there, which is nice too.

Wieters

Postby Wieters » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:33 am

Rhymes With Wolf wrote:
Wieters wrote:It's a site that you look at and initially think will be super useful/productive but actually end up returning to all the never.

Eh, well, to each their own. I found it convenient both for scoring and for identifying persistent trends in LR, so that I could go back and drill by type. Coming back to studying after a year, all my data is still there, which is nice too.

This is true. Productivity apps/sites are all about how compatible they are with your workflow.

Granted I haven't visited in awhile, but the other thing is that I take issue with how different textbooks/websties classify question types. I think that principle support questions are their own category, for example, but they are sometimes lumped together with something else.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:10 am

Hey All, punching in as promised.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:20 am

Jgoods wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:Disappointing September. If I cannot ace LG, I cannot do well in December. December is my third LSAT and final hope. Cannot postpone, too old for that. 35 and married.

dude at the forum was like 56 and going in... and panel people talked about 40+ going in and graduating top of class... never too old brah... but what do i know(not meant in a condescending way(if thats even the word I'm thinking of) just saying)

Thanks.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:44 am

FWIW, I thought "read the economist" was useless drivel when people were offering advice for RC help, but it actually helps. It did for me.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:11 am

holy new posts... this is going to be rough lol welcome to the new peeps :P
finally got up at 5, now to get my brain moving

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:18 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:FWIW, I thought "read the economist" was useless drivel when people were offering advice for RC help, but it actually helps. It did for me.

Please explain your method with The Economist.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:20 am

Jgoods wrote:holy new posts... this is going to be rough lol welcome to the new peeps :P

I am still trying to shake off the disappointment. Going to take 2-3 hours off work. Will study and take wife out for breakfast.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:00 am

lawjag2015 wrote:
Jgoods wrote:holy new posts... this is going to be rough lol welcome to the new peeps :P

I am still trying to shake off the disappointment. Going to take 2-3 hours off work. Will study and take wife out for breakfast.

studying to get your mind off it O.o lol GL :P just did the LG of PT40... ajdbsdfknlsdj that 3rd game tho :/ ended -5(-4from game 3 and -1 on 2 which was prob some stupid mistake) stupid random games :/

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:21 am

lawjag2015 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:FWIW, I thought "read the economist" was useless drivel when people were offering advice for RC help, but it actually helps. It did for me.

Step 1: Literally read everything. Just become comfortable with the format, word choice, grammar, etc. The articles are structurally very similar to LSAT passages, vocab level is on par, yada yada.

Step 2: After you're familiar with RC questions, start reading Economist passages as if they were LSAT passages. Identify the main point of the passage. What would the author most likely agree with? What is the author's attitude towards the subject? What inferences can be reasonably made from this article? What kind of arguments would this article support?

Essentially, you're drilling RC in a stress-free environment. You're building familiarity. Imagine it like working on a shot in basketball. Just do it billions of times, check your form, and your accuracy will go up. It's another way of drilling RC without burning through PTs, and you can do it on your phone on the commute to work or while taking a shit. You're shooting (huehuehue) for immersion.

JerryLundegard

Postby JerryLundegard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:32 am

Hey everyone. Checking in. Got a 153 in September. 1 point below my diagnostic and 8-10 points below where I was PTing. Did horrendously on the logic games as I freaked out. Also i thought RC went well for me and I ended up going -12 in that section when the ABSOLUtE worst I've done there was a -10.
So anyway, I'm going the canbridge/7sage route for games until I'm consistently crushing them.
It was like the world came off its axis in my universe yesterday but today I'm feeling blessed for another opportunity at this. If I had gotten upper 150's I may have been lazy and avoided retaking.

Let's get after it

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:43 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:

Step 1: Literally read everything. Just become comfortable with the format, word choice, grammar, etc. The articles are structurally very similar to LSAT passages, vocab level is on par, yada yada.

Step 2: After you're familiar with RC questions, start reading Economist passages as if they were LSAT passages. Identify the main point of the passage. What would the author most likely agree with? What is the author's attitude towards the subject? What inferences can be reasonably made from this article? What kind of arguments would this article support?

Essentially, you're drilling RC in a stress-free environment. You're building familiarity. Imagine it like working on a shot in basketball. Just do it billions of times, check your form, and your accuracy will go up. It's another way of drilling RC without burning through PTs, and you can do it on your phone on the commute to work or while taking a shit. You're shooting (huehuehue) for immersion.

Thanks. We need more people like you around! I am hoping we keep a nice core of solid people here who can collectively get rid of the ones who make some these threads a jumbo circus.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 am

Jgoods wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:

studying to get your mind off it O.o lol GL :P just did the LG of PT40... ajdbsdfknlsdj that 3rd game tho :/ ended -5(-4from game 3 and -1 on 2 which was prob some stupid mistake) stupid random games :/

Truth be told. Sulked so far this morning. Now onto studying. I still have a 163 from June worst case.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:58 am

lawjag2015 wrote:Thanks. We need more people like you around! I am hoping we keep a nice core of solid people here who can collectively get rid of the ones who make some these threads a jumbo circus.

I feel obligated to warn you that while I enjoy giving advice when I can and sharing my experiences, I am one of these circus folk you speak of.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:04 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:Thanks. We need more people like you around! I am hoping we keep a nice core of solid people here who can collectively get rid of the ones who make some these threads a jumbo circus.

I feel obligated to warn you that while I enjoy giving advice when I can and sharing my experiences, I am one of these circus folk you speak of.

that I speak of :P
but tis true.... lol

just finished LR2 of 40.... this PT is killing me, maybe I'm just too tired? guh

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:14 am

How is everybody's prep coming along? I've now touched on each of Velocity's sections (LR, LG, RC) and I have to say, the only thing I'm upset about is not having found this prep company sooner.

For LG, I was already going anywhere from -0 to -3, but with Velocity's methods I'm going a lot faster and it is much easier to get -0 than it was before. I'm not one of those naturals who is able to see the inferences immediately up front, so his approach is so so SO much better - especially how I now know how to tackle the order of the questions.

In RC, holy ####! I'm confident that this is what will push me over the 170 mark now. I feel that soon this section will be even stronger than my LR sections.

Then LR, I've already mentioned that this is improving for me. Thank God!

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:17 am

As promised yesterday to JGoods and Dirigo... I got a 161. Not high according to TLS standards but it was higher than I expected (and, I believe, not low enough for schools to write me off before getting my December LSAT score).

Did great in LR1 and not so great (understatement) in LR2. I will post the breakdown soon. But for now - taking an LG section :).

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:34 am

WorldsCollide wrote:As promised yesterday to JGoods and Dirigo... I got a 161. Not high according to TLS standards but it was higher than I expected (and, I believe, not low enough for schools to write me off before getting my December LSAT score).

Did great in LR1 and not so great (understatement) in LR2. I will post the breakdown soon. But for now - taking an LG section :).

almost changed my prediction to 161 but I was hopeful :P

Tyr wrote:How is everybody's prep coming along? I've now touched on each of Velocity's sections (LR, LG, RC) and I have to say, the only thing I'm upset about is not having found this prep company sooner.

For LG, I was already going anywhere from -0 to -3, but with Velocity's methods I'm going a lot faster and it is much easier to get -0 than it was before. I'm not one of those naturals who is able to see the inferences immediately up front, so his approach is so so SO much better - especially how I now know how to tackle the order of the questions.

In RC, holy ####! I'm confident that this is what will push me over the 170 mark now. I feel that soon this section will be even stronger than my LR sections.

Then LR, I've already mentioned that this is improving for me. Thank God!

stop making me wanna spend more money I don't have! lol thats awesome to hear man

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:13 am

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:19 am

so its unclear what study materials i have left to use

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:25 am

Jgoods wrote:almost changed my prediction to 161 but I was hopeful :P

Thanks for the good faith, Jgoods ;). Come December, it won't matter that I got a 161 or a 163 because I, like the rest of you, will CRUSH this test.

peppermint... don't you dare talk about February retake! You're acing December!

Colonel, I'm assuming you took all the PTs? :shock:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”