The Official December 2014 Study Group

lawjag2015

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby lawjag2015 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:33 am

well than yeah that makes sense to wake up so early... I feel like I can get more quality work in before I head out to work and get exhausted than afterwards... but waking up early enough is killer... and to justify being in bed by 7-8 is hard... I feel like Im missing out on stuff

It is a commitment, but, I have to do it. And yes, studying before work does feel a lot better. Besides, 8am in the morning on test day won't be an issue at all!

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 am

lawjag2015 wrote:
Do you feel refreshed though? I know when I tried to wake up at 4:30, it just wasn't a good idea because that's actually when the brain needs its rest

I do feel refreshed. Sleep cycle is not "time of the day" dependent. It does take few days to adjust it though!

I feel like i need 10hrs a night in order to be good to go when I awake... I normally can wake up rather quickly when getting ready for work and that but whats there to do to get ready to study for 2 hours -_- If I get up and eat and that then Ill be hungry too early in the day later

penncon

Postby penncon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 am

Hey guys, just wondering how many PTs are you taking a week up til the December test? I'm thinking 3 a week but I am worried about burnout. Also (blind) review takes a tremendous amount of time on top of a full-time job. I'm wondering what is really feasible. I'm leaning towards quality review over quantity of exams. Side note, I've taken 10 PTs already.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 am

penncon wrote:Hey guys, just wondering how many PTs are you taking a week up til the December test? I'm thinking 3 a week but I am worried about burnout. Also (blind) review takes a tremendous amount of time on top of a full-time job. I'm wondering what is really feasible. I'm leaning towards quality review over quantity of exams. Side note, I've taken 10 PTs already.

Yeah, especially since you're working, no more than 2-3 max. As long as you separate them into the week and not backtoback, that'll help minimize the chance of burnt out.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:12 am

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:12 am

penncon wrote:Hey guys, just wondering how many PTs are you taking a week up til the December test? I'm thinking 3 a week but I am worried about burnout. Also (blind) review takes a tremendous amount of time on top of a full-time job. I'm wondering what is really feasible. I'm leaning towards quality review over quantity of exams. Side note, I've taken 10 PTs already.

hmmm I wonder where you're looking into going to school lol

Whatever I can fit in. Lately my saturdays have kept me from getting good work in and sundays I work but I also work mon-fri 40hr weeks so its a struggle (nothing compared to mist) Id like to get a full PT on Sat along with another one throughout the week broken up if I can along with some solid review of course

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 am

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:17 am

peppermint wrote:
Jgoods wrote:I feel like i need 10hrs a night in order to be good to go when I awake... I normally can wake up rather quickly when getting ready for work and that but whats there to do to get ready to study for 2 hours -_- If I get up and eat and that then Ill be hungry too early in the day later

10 hrs a day was actually the optimal amt of sleep calculated for college students (at least I think it was college students!) for best memory consolidation in a research study done a few yrs ago. It's been a while since I read the study, if I have some free time later at work, I'll look it up

Dont think I've ever read that, most stuff says like 7-8 hrs... Sleep is so inconvenient... If only we could have an hr nap, be refreshed for the day and have no decrease in mental/memory abilities.... The studying could be endless!!

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 am

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 am

peppermint wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
peppermint wrote:
Jgoods wrote:I feel like i need 10hrs a night in order to be good to go when I awake... I normally can wake up rather quickly when getting ready for work and that but whats there to do to get ready to study for 2 hours -_- If I get up and eat and that then Ill be hungry too early in the day later

10 hrs a day was actually the optimal amt of sleep calculated for college students (at least I think it was college students!) for best memory consolidation in a research study done a few yrs ago. It's been a while since I read the study, if I have some free time later at work, I'll look it up

Dont think I've ever read that, most stuff says like 7-8 hrs... Sleep is so inconvenient... If only we could have an hr nap, be refreshed for the day and have no decrease in mental/memory abilities.... The studying could be endless!!

30 min power naps are awesome for the brain. And yeah, at least 7-8 hrs is good for the body, but specifically for the memory aspect, researchers determined that 10 hrs was the best. I'll ask my sister about the specifics when I get home b/c she knows much more about this than I do

ETA- I think the 10 hrs is for younger ppl. For older ppl, I remember reading somewhere that 10 hrs of sleep increases the likelihood of having poorer sleep quality :| I don't know, I'll ask my sis later about all of this

aint nobody got 10 hrs to sleep -_- my sleep memory stuff is only 2-3 hours long... speaking of which Rigo I think youd laugh at the other one im trying... I chuckle everytime it starts but maybe itll work better :p

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:44 am

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:58 am

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:06 pm

mist4bison wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
Whatever I can fit in. Lately my saturdays have kept me from getting good work in and sundays I work but I also work mon-fri 40hr weeks so its a struggle (nothing compared to mist) Id like to get a full PT on Sat along with another one throughout the week broken up if I can along with some solid review of course

Lol sorry I complain so much guys :P

You do your PTs broken up? Like as timed sections when you can fit them in?

you have every right lol
and well lately Ive been doing what I could, drilling or untimed PT but I think Im going to start doing timed sections and add everything together to check scores. bc I dont have time for full PT after work nor the mental ability. So I think Im gunna do a timed section, review and then maybe drill some stuff I got wrong? idk kinda messing with what im doing until I find something that feels right

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:26 pm

I'm going to start doing 2 PTs - one Thursday before class and one over the weekend. But as of this week, I'm going to do only one.

peppermint... that's really interesting about the study!

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:47 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:I'm going to start doing 2 PTs - one Thursday before class and one over the weekend. But as of this week, I'm going to do only one.

Think, our study on ourselves is more tailor made somehow. 7-8 hours for me though!

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:57 pm

lawjag2015 wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:I'm going to start doing 2 PTs - one Thursday before class and one over the weekend. But as of this week, I'm going to do only one.

Think, our study on ourselves is more tailor made somehow. 7-8 hours for me though!

I sleep seven. I don't know if that's because that's good for me or that's all I can afford :P

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:58 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:

I sleep seven. I don't know if that's because that's good for me or that's all I can afford :P

My body is stupid and it won't let me sleep for more than 7.5 hours...

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm

nlee10 wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:

My body is stupid and it won't let me sleep for more than 7.5 hours...

+1

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Why stupid, nlee? If that's all you need, that's great! Maximize the other 16.5 hours by doing LSAT studying ;)

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:04 pm

WorldsCollide wrote:Why stupid, nlee? If that's all you need, that's great! Maximize the other 16.5 hours by doing LSAT studying ;)

:wink: I was never that type of person who wakes up at 3PM on the weekend as a result of "sleeping in" like a lot of my friends lmao. I suppose that is better for the real world. hah

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:05 pm

nlee10 wrote:
WorldsCollide wrote:Why stupid, nlee? If that's all you need, that's great! Maximize the other 16.5 hours by doing LSAT studying ;)

:wink: I was never that type of person who wakes up at 3PM on the weekend as a result of "sleeping in" like a lot of my friends lmao. I suppose that is better for the real world. hah

true tho often(lately anyways) the knowledge that I dont NEED to get up bc its only to study makes me wanna stay in bed... although Im awake... it can be rough sometimes

penncon

Postby penncon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:06 pm

mist4bison wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
mist4bison wrote:
Jgoods wrote:

Lol sorry I complain so much guys :P

You do your PTs broken up? Like as timed sections when you can fit them in?

you have every right lol
and well lately Ive been doing what I could, drilling or untimed PT but I think Im going to start doing timed sections and add everything together to check scores. bc I dont have time for full PT after work nor the mental ability. So I think Im gunna do a timed section, review and then maybe drill some stuff I got wrong? idk kinda messing with what im doing until I find something that feels right

Maybe I'll try to do that to. I definitely can't do a PT in after work; I'll get way too frustrated after using my brain all day haha. But I like the idea of adding the sections up to create a PT.

I am thinking I'll take one day off a week everyday in Nov in an attempt to do 2 PTs a week. Or maybe I'll skip the TM PT review class and do an extra PT over the weekend. Not sure how helpful those classes will be.

Do you think this will still be representative of where we are at in our PTing regarding the breaking up of PTs into timed sections? I totally understand where you guys are coming from though. I have this same problem with mental/physical exhaustion after work. Alternatively we could all wake up at 5AM to get a PT in before work but that sounds awful. :shock:

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:20 pm

penncon wrote:Do you think this will still be representative of where we are at in our PTing regarding the breaking up of PTs into timed sections? I totally understand where you guys are coming from though. I have this same problem with mental/physical exhaustion after work. Alternatively we could all wake up at 5AM to get a PT in before work but that sounds awful. :shock:

I mean idt it will be an exact representation bc it takes out some factors that would affect a full test but it would be sorta close and would still be showing you things you need to work on.
Its seriously a struggle, I wish I would have started studying a whole lot sooner so I wouldnt have to worry about being way below what I want or something
and yes that does sound awful but doable, better to do a PT before you spend 8 hrs or so working than after :P

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:25 pm

so being someone who loves to watch movies... seeing something interesting makes me want to watch it... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1872194/ shouldnt have watched the trailer, now I just wanna go watch it when I get home (second time seeing the trailer, guess it grew on me since the first time lol)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”