The Official December 2014 Study Group

Smallville

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby Smallville » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:21 pm

MEAhrnsbrak wrote:I'm off to meet the deans of admission for Stanford, Duke, Cornell, and NYU at a Law Panel/QandA here in Atlanta. Anything I should ask or anything you all want to know?

still waiting :p

surf

Postby surf » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:16 pm

pisssss I hate reviewing games and seeing how I messed up ONE RULE which shafted the whole game. that -7 could've been -1.

onward.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:19 pm

surf wrote:pisssss I hate reviewing games and seeing how I messed up ONE RULE which shafted the whole game. that -7 could've been -1.

onward.

Yup...I have a tendency to misinterpret weirdly worded rules wrong. All downhill from there. haha

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:20 pm

mist4bison wrote:I spent the last 5 hours volunteering/working pro bono at landlord tenant court. Broke up a fight between a landlord and a tenant. Don't go into civil service, guys.

yikes, your such a good person :p

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:43 pm

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:32 pm

18/20 on MP
17/20 on Describe

Not too bad, out of the 5 wrong, 3 were which I chose between 2 tempting answer choices.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:54 pm

I feel like the odd one out here because grouping games came pretty naturally to me whereas ordering took a lot more conscious effort to improve.

Please explain a bit more. What makes it easy for you? Maybe it would help a few people like me.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:02 pm

I uploaded a tar, is it being screened?

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 pm

lawjag2015 wrote:I uploaded a tar, is it being screened?

nope yupp lol
Last edited by Smallville on Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

havemercylorde

Postby havemercylorde » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:12 pm

lawjag2015 wrote:
I feel like the odd one out here because grouping games came pretty naturally to me whereas ordering took a lot more conscious effort to improve.

Please explain a bit more. What makes it easy for you? Maybe it would help a few people like me.

Grouping games are now easier for me than ordering, too, but I'm not sure the why will help you. Ordering games are...well...linear. If your brain is most comfortable with linear thinking, you're gonna like ordering games and they'll make the most sense to you. But the real key is studying. Though easy linear games were easiest at first, after learning the ropes the most complex grouping games came more naturally to me and I had to work harder to get better at complex ordering games.

That said, it's doable. You just have to practice. I'd start by progressing through both types of games by difficulty if possible. I really needed a solid foundation in understanding grouping and translating the rules to become decent at grouping, and that took about three weeks to a month. But now I like them better.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:17 pm

havemercylorde wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:

Grouping games are now easier for me than ordering, too, but I'm not sure the why will help you. Ordering games are...well...linear. If your brain is most comfortable with linear thinking, you're gonna like ordering games and they'll make the most sense to you. But the real key is studying. Though easy linear games were easiest at first, after learning the ropes the most complex grouping games came more naturally to me and I had to work harder to get better at complex ordering games.

That said, it's doable. You just have to practice. I'd start by progressing through both types of games by difficulty if possible. I really needed a solid foundation in understanding grouping and translating the rules to become decent at grouping, and that took about three weeks to a month. But now I like them better.

Well, linear/ordering is easy for me because of the constraints that it brings. Given all the rules, and the inherent constraints of ordering, items can go only in certain places. Easy!

How do you "think" about grouping that makes it easy?

havemercylorde

Postby havemercylorde » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:22 pm

lawjag2015 wrote:
havemercylorde wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:

Well, linear/ordering is easy for me because of the constraints that it brings. Given all the rules, and the inherent constraints of ordering, items can go only in certain places. Easy!

For the same reason. I feel like most highly-complex grouping games have more rules if you tease out the inferences properly, meaning things go faster. In ordering games it's more difficult for me to make it to those inferences. My brain is weird though.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:22 pm

lawjag2015 wrote:
havemercylorde wrote:

the same way you described linear/odering.... Its just natural to you, you get it.... so you see the constraints/inferences easily... keep working towards grouping and other types and the same will be able to be said about those... its not going to be a real thought process thats explainable that you can adopt and boom understand grouping (otherwise 180 for everyone)

havemercylorde

Postby havemercylorde » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Jgoods wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:
havemercylorde wrote:

the same way you described linear/odering.... Its just natural to you, you get it.... so you see the constraints/inferences easily... keep working towards grouping and other types and the same will be able to be said about those... its not going to be a real thought process thats explainable that you can adopt and boom understand grouping (otherwise 180 for everyone)

Exactly. Once the doors opened up on grouping I realized I was doing way more poorly (slowly) in ordering. So I just had to work harder to bring my timing on complex ordering up to snuff.

havemercylorde

Postby havemercylorde » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Also checking in in case I need to retake.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:46 pm

havemercylorde wrote:Also checking in in case I need to retake.

welcome

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:11 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Dirigo wrote:Only 50 possible full days of studying left for us.

:cry: :twisted: :shock: :evil: :(

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:29 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:31 pm

Dirigo wrote:
nlee10 wrote:
Dirigo wrote:Only 50 possible full days of studying left for us.

:cry: :twisted: :shock: :evil: :(

I'm telling everyone IRL to leave me alone.

seriously... I already haven't been hanging out much and they're all like "dude its like 2 months away still"
Like you try taking this shit then get back to me lol

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Jgoods wrote:
Dirigo wrote:I'm telling everyone IRL to leave me alone.

seriously... I already haven't been hanging out much and they're all like "dude its like 2 months away still"

I had an instance last week while eating dinner with a friend. After telling him that I'm feeling pretty stressed out 8 weeks out, he's like "What's so important and hard about one test?"

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Smallville

Postby Smallville » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:07 pm

nlee10 wrote:
Jgoods wrote:
Dirigo wrote:I'm telling everyone IRL to leave me alone.

I had an instance last week while eating dinner with a friend. After telling him that I'm feeling pretty stressed out 8 weeks out, he's like "What's so important and hard about one test?"

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

life and everything in that order

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:41 pm

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”