The Official December 2014 Study Group

aliraza580

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby aliraza580 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Thought i would join in here, i was aiming for the september LSAT, i took a TestMasters course that started in July and was hoping to climb up to 160 by the end of it, to my dismay i have only been able to hit 144 after 7 PTs...Now i don't know if its just me or what the deal is, i just can't do well it seems like. At this point i'm pretty discouraged. I spent so much on this course, i went in knowing really nothing about how to approach the LSAT, granted i am now done with the course and have learned a lot from it but clearly not enough to improve my score. I really did study and try to understand what i was doing wrong i just don't understand.

My cold diag was a 136, i am at a 144 now...Whats my issue here? Logic games seem to be a pretty bad struggle for me, i am not getting even half of the answers, if its a 1-1 correspondence game i will usually nail it, but other games i seem to have problems with. I drill and drill when im studying on my own and i can get the games if i take my time, but under the time constraint i can never get it done.

Yes, this is a cry for help...lol

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Last edited by nlee10 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:59 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aliraza580

Postby aliraza580 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:33 pm

Dirigo wrote:
aliraza580 wrote:My cold diag was a 136, i am at a 144 now...Whats my issue here? Logic games seem to be a pretty bad struggle for me, i am not getting even half of the answers, if its a 1-1 correspondence game i will usually nail it, but other games i seem to have problems with. I drill and drill when im studying on my own and i can get the games if i take my time, but under the time constraint i can never get it done.

Buy this Cambridge LG Book.
Make multiple copies of each game.
Do a game.
Watch the 7 Sage Explanation for that game.
Get a fresh copy of that game and do it again, incorporating what you learned.
Watch the video again if needed.
Move onto the next game and repeat the process.
Do the games you did again the next day and see if you remember how to set them up and solve them. If not, watch the video again.

It's a tedious process, but you're guaranteed to improve by drilling like this. Similar inferences can be made across all games and you are able to make them correctly and quickly the more experience you get.

Wow that website is awesome i was just using the explanations i had for my TM course, but this one works well. I will buy that book. So pretty much keep practicing types of game so i can see setups and such.

aliraza580

Postby aliraza580 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:35 pm

nlee10 wrote:
aliraza580 wrote:Thought i would join in here, i was aiming for the september LSAT, i took a TestMasters course that started in July and was hoping to climb up to 160 by the end of it, to my dismay i have only been able to hit 144 after 7 PTs...Now i don't know if its just me or what the deal is, i just can't do well it seems like. At this point i'm pretty discouraged. I spent so much on this course, i went in knowing really nothing about how to approach the LSAT, granted i am now done with the course and have learned a lot from it but clearly not enough to improve my score. I really did study and try to understand what i was doing wrong i just don't understand.

My cold diag was a 136, i am at a 144 now...Whats my issue here? Logic games seem to be a pretty bad struggle for me, i am not getting even half of the answers, if its a 1-1 correspondence game i will usually nail it, but other games i seem to have problems with. I drill and drill when im studying on my own and i can get the games if i take my time, but under the time constraint i can never get it done.

Yes, this is a cry for help...lol

Don't worry! You can make really good progress on logic games. You probably know the basics for the game types so now you should just drill games over and over. After doing so many games, you start to see deductions and inferences from the rules that make the questions much easier. I feel you though, my diagnostic was a 136 as well!

How are you with LR and RC? Like LG, you should really drill RC passages until you're used to reading irrelevant dense stuff/seeing the structure of the passages/etc.

RC seems lke a hit or miss, i rarely ever have time for the last passage, if its a passage where the material isn't so boring i can keep up and wiz through it. Others i have to re-read over over again to stay focused. LR i have actually improved on, i can still do A LOT better. I just make silly mistakes. But i think if i get the LG down i can at least score near the mid 150s which is what i would at LEAST need for my goal school.

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:02 am

Dirigo wrote:
aliraza580 wrote:My cold diag was a 136, i am at a 144 now...Whats my issue here? Logic games seem to be a pretty bad struggle for me, i am not getting even half of the answers, if its a 1-1 correspondence game i will usually nail it, but other games i seem to have problems with. I drill and drill when im studying on my own and i can get the games if i take my time, but under the time constraint i can never get it done.

Buy this Cambridge LG Book.
Make multiple copies of each game.
Do a game.
Watch the 7 Sage Explanation for that game.
Get a fresh copy of that game and do it again, incorporating what you learned.
Watch the video again if needed.
Move onto the next game and repeat the process.
Do the games you did again the next day and see if you remember how to set them up and solve them. If not, watch the video again.

It's a tedious process, but you're guaranteed to improve by drilling like this. Similar inferences can be made across all games and you are able to make them correctly and quickly the more experience you get.

This is awesome advice. I'd also add in on logic games I wouldn't timing yourself in the beginning. Make sure you know the right way to do the games and the more you practice the RIGHT WAY the faster you will naturally get. As everyone will tell you, it is so important to drill over and over and get the games down. Good luck!!!

IDream247

Postby IDream247 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:46 am

mist4bison wrote:
IDream247 wrote:Hi I just have a question. You guys that are scoring in the mid to upper 160s what did you guys do to study. I know there are guides out there but I'm curious as to your personal methods. I have taken it once already but panicked and did not do well. I am taking the 7sage prep course, I have the PS LG bible, PS LR bible, the Manhattan RC, and another Lsat prep book. I also have most of the official prep test. Would you guys advise me to do timed sections, just full test, or a combination of both. Any advice you have, I'd appreciate it.

Back when I was studied in January I started at a 154 and jumped to a 165 in 3 weeks. I read through the LGB first and did a ton of LG drills. I then read through the LRB, but it didn't help much. I also didn't do as many drills. Around when I took my second (165) PT I had begun the LSAT Trainer and was drilling constantly. If there is any book out there to get, it's the LSAT Trainer. I'm taking a course now, but plan to revisit the trainer when I'm stuck. But much more importantly than books...go buy the Cambridge drilling packets and drill, drill, drill! I wouldn't recommend timing yourself at first, though.

Thank you mist your jump in progress so far gives me hope! I going to go through the LGB again and I am also going to get the trainer since it seems like everyone agrees its a good study tool. I've been getting mixed reviews about the LRB so I guess I'll read through 1st chapter and if it doesn't help I'll return it. I will also look into the Cambridge drilling packages!

IDream247

Postby IDream247 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:52 am

Dirigo wrote:Upper 160er here.
1) I started with The Trainer. It's a very good overview.
2) Since you have 7Sage, JY does the really well, so I would rely on that for LG. (The Bible doesn't hurt, but overall I prefer the way JY succinctly chains up condition statements. JY also teaches you how to intuitively make inferences up front. I tend to split my game board up more often than JY because I do better with the more visuals I have, but you'll figure out what works for you.
3) The only way to get awesome at LG is drilling. I recommend at least the Cambridge book with all the games from PTs 21-40 for that.
4) I went with Manhattan for LR and really liked it. Cambridge drilling is also helpful here.
5) I'm still figuring out RC, so I don't have much in the way of advice though, but I'll probably Cambridge drill. (RC is the main obstacle keeping me from 170+ argh!)

Thank you so much this is good advice, I feel like it is always better to see what is working for someone else when I seem stuck. I love the 7sage course JY breaks everything down pretty well just was looking for some additional study tools. I have all the early prep test in a book but since I'm in the 7sage course JY gives access to every test. When would you suggest that I start taking full practice test or is drilling fine for right now? and the Manhattan Reading Comp seems to be helping me right now, so maybe look into that.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:59 pm

splittingheadache

Postby splittingheadache » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:05 pm

I've been stuck on page 24 of Powerscore LSAT RC Bible (just before the drill) for over a week now and I just cannot with this book. It is just so, tedious? Last time I felt this frustrated with a text was with the LG section in The LSAT Trainer (omggggg no disrespect Mike Kim), and I'm just so not into the RC Bible. Anyone else have issues/read the text? Can I just skip Chapter 2?

The thing is I feel like just on the look of things MH LSAT RC is so much better but I already have a few pages of notes in my notebook on Powerscore already and I cannot start a new book unless I'm done with notes on the previous book. I know I'm being a total spoiled piece of crap right now, but yeah. I've been sluggish, really sluggish.

Plus I need to catch up on my classes. Went to a gallery opening yesterday on recent political paintings of Burmese artists, and although I knew the curator from years ago, I just could not muster the courage to say hi. Plus I think he was ignoring my creep vibe. I've basically cut out contact with all my friends and focused on LSAT and research since early this summer, I realized yesterday I don't know how to talk to people or hold a conversation in person anymore. It was really sad, I kept following him around just wanting to say hi, only for him to like say hi to every single other person at the exhibition.

BUT IF LSAC WOULD BE SO KIND AS TO PROVIDE ME WITH A RC PASSAGE ON BURMESE POLITICAL UPRISINGS THROUGH VISUAL CULTURE, I'D BE GREATLY PLEASED. Be a dear question writers? K, thanks.

Then I'm reminded, despite my poor focus and commitment on LR, the flaw here is that just because I now have a wikipedia knowledge of Burmese art, it doesn't mean the actual passage, reasoning structure, and questions will result in a perfect section.

Sorry for the rant. I'm starting to stabilize after a score increase recently, so I'm kind of worried/lazy. This is such an isolating experience, so I'm really grateful that you guys are here and TLS is available as a sobering resource.

I hope the next time I write something here, I can post something useful pertaining to drilling/PTs for you guys. Enjoy your Sunday.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:06 pm

illmaticjones

Postby illmaticjones » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:59 pm

Dirigo wrote:
IDream247 wrote:Thank you so much this is good advice, I feel like it is always better to see what is working for someone else when I seem stuck. I love the 7sage course JY breaks everything down pretty well just was looking for some additional study tools. I have all the early prep test in a book but since I'm in the 7sage course JY gives access to every test. When would you suggest that I start taking full practice test or is drilling fine for right now? and the Manhattan Reading Comp seems to be helping me right now, so maybe look into that.

I read Manhattan's RC. I liked it, but I'm not sure how much it helped. RC is the one section that is very hard to teach/learn. It just takes a lot of practice, and I'm not sure that any one prep book is better than another when it comes to RC.
Number of preptests is up to you. I do think drilling is more important than taking PTs early on. It's up to you when to transition into taking more PTs. Think of how many you would like to do before test day and space them out on your calendar. Any more than three a week is probably biting off more than you can chew.

Hey Dirigo, what is your take on Voyagers RC strategy?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:08 pm

illmaticjones

Postby illmaticjones » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Dirigo wrote:
illmaticjones wrote:Hey Dirigo, what is your take on Voyagers RC strategy?

I haven't tried it out yet. To be honest, I've been foolishly ignoring RC other than reading Manhattan RC. Going to delve into RC prep this coming week.

cool, i haven't tried Manhattan RC yet, but I'm open to purchasing the book if it's really as good as people say it is. Voyagers strategy has helped me quite a bit, I'm just wondering if there are any methods that can help me finish each RC section at least 20 secs faster.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:15 pm

illmaticjones

Postby illmaticjones » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Dirigo wrote:
illmaticjones wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
illmaticjones wrote:Hey Dirigo, what is your take on Voyagers RC strategy?

I haven't tried it out yet. To be honest, I've been foolishly ignoring RC other than reading Manhattan RC. Going to delve into RC prep this coming week.

cool, i haven't tried Manhattan RC yet, but I'm open to purchasing the book if it's really as good as people say it is. Voyagers strategy has helped me quite a bit, I'm just wondering if there are any methods that can help me finish each RC section at least 20 secs faster.

Manhattan may help you with the questions a bit. Nothing super groundbreaking in manhattan though, IMO. It's a short enough book for you to finish it in a day or two though.

Sounds like it can't hurt to try it, the books about 30 bucks. Ill give it a try.

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Kept it a pretty low key Sunday and just worked on logic games today. Drilled from the Cambridge difficult packet and was consistently hitting them in 8 minutes or less! Can't stress how much time it has shaved from my tests by diagramming as much as I can before I even look at the questions.

Next goal, get my LR as consistent as my LG.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:13 pm

jrdavila09

Postby jrdavila09 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:19 pm

LSAT life sucks!

Just wanted to vent a bit.

I scored a 146 on PT 42. Diagnostic was a 139. Suck at LR and RC. I get bored and/or loose focus during these sections. But I guess I'm 14 points away from my goal. Hopefully I can get there by December. :\

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:33 pm

WorldsCollide

Postby WorldsCollide » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Hello Decembers! I decided that regardless of my September score (that I'll be taking this Saturday =P ) I'm going to take the December LSAT and CRUSH it. Let's see how confident I am a week before the December test ;)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”