The Official December 2014 Study Group

JDman

Re: The Official December 2014 Study Group

Postby JDman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Can someone post links to these Cambridge Bundle Packets for drilling. I'm not drilling as much as I think I should.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:46 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 pm

mist4bison wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
splittingheadache wrote:
peetesLA wrote:I'm new to this website. I went back to school to get my undergrad 5 years ago and now am finishing up at the age of 36. I want to apply to law school just to see how good of a school I can get into. I don't think I would go unless I can get into top 14.

I started studying for LSAT about 6 weeks ago - 10 hours/week at the most (working full time and going to school, etc.) I got a 157 on first test before studying at all, then studied for a week and got 170 on my second test. Since then I've taken 7-8 tests with all scores in the 170-174 range. The games are killing me. Last test I had -1 on all three sections except games but -5 on games.

I've been studying with LG Bible for games and logical reasoning - finished the games book and am halfway through reasoning.

I wish I had started studying sooner so I could have taken test in September and applied early. I feel like there's an outside chance I can get to the high 170s or even 180. Any advice?

How averse are you to waiting a cycle? I say this because you seriously have potential to get 175+ on the actual exam if you just put in some more time to it. Your score might not be !!! this cycle if you apply late, but it could mean !!! and a less stressful cycle for 2015-2016.

I wouldn't worry about this too much. It's expected that LSAT administrations will fall even lower this year than last. [June was down around 9% and September has been confirmed to have dropped as well.] This means that # of applications this cycle will also likely drop. January isn't considered late in the cycle anymore. No need to sit out if you don't want to, peetesLA. Your original posts makes it seem like you're wanting to apply just for kicks anyways, so you won't lose anything other than the LSAC reporting fees which are $21 or so (I think) per application. You'll probably get fee waivers from a lot of the T14 schools if you solicit them.
You have more than enough time between now and December to reach your full potential. I expect an awesome cycle for you, unless your GPA is really low. Even then, splitters will still have options.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Yes, apps are down. Yes, he will still get into schools. However, January is still late in the cycle. Peetes said he would only go if it were a T14. Assuming this isn't just for kicks, I'm guessing he would prefer to not pay full tuition and applying early would not only get him into more/better scores, but would also ensure he gets more $.

Applying with the December LSAT isn't as bad as it's been historically. Ppl were still getting $$$ of waitlists in April May last year (not the norm but just saying its not throwing out of contention). At some point the market will correct (we've already seen that the medians didn't take as big of a hit this year as the 2 years before) and apps will start to go back up as ppl see medians changing etc. Who knows if it will be this cycle or next or the one after, but applying to an earlier cycle is better if the score is completive.

I'll go back to the sept thread now

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

santoki

Postby santoki » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm

dirigo, thats my plan as well. can i ask the plan for your timeline as far as getting things together?

when youre asking for LoRs, PS, etc.

and to everyone else, anyone know when the applications themselves will be out? i plan on just getting all the "busy work" parts of the applications done so i only have to worry about the big three: LSAT/PS/LoRs.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 pm

santoki

Postby santoki » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Dirigo wrote:
santoki wrote:dirigo, thats my plan as well. can i ask the plan for your timeline as far as getting things together?

and to everyone else, anyone know when the applications themselves will be out? i plan on just getting all the "busy work" parts of the applications done so i only have to worry about the big three: LSAT/PS/LoRs.

I've already graduated undergrad so I have both my LORs already submitted to LSAC. I would ask ASAP just to get those out of the way, especially if you've already had the professors and aren't taking a class with them this semester.
I'm starting my personal statement December 7th. Not going to worry about it now. LSAT first.
Check your individual schools' website or on LSAC, but I believe most apps are available now. Maybe October 1st for those apps that aren't.

i had originally planned to apply last cycle and had asked for LORs already. three of them came in and I didn't know I could use them again this time around. just checked cause of what you said and theyre all still there. awesome news!

and yeah, my plan was to wait on my PS til after the test as well. its important but not nearly as much as the test.

Adrian Monk

Postby Adrian Monk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Dirigo wrote:
santoki wrote:dirigo, thats my plan as well. can i ask the plan for your timeline as far as getting things together?

I've already graduated undergrad so I have both my LORs already submitted to LSAC. I would ask ASAP just to get those out of the way, especially if you've already had the professors and aren't taking a class with them this semester.
I'm starting my personal statement December 7th. Not going to worry about it now. LSAT first.
Check your individual schools' website or on LSAC, but I believe most apps are available now. Maybe October 1st for those apps that aren't.

sounds like my timeline, and just wondering are u determined to apply this cycle?, and whats your opinion on applying before the dec lsat score comes out (think jan 4th or 6th), so that once the score comes out our file gets automatically "complete" as opposed to sending our app after the score comes out? isnt the first approach faster?

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:17 am

Last edited by nlee10 on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

1Lin2015

Postby 1Lin2015 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:39 am

Checking in!

I was registered to take Sept, but I feel like I haven't peaked yet. After lurking on the September thread for a while, I think this can help a lot with the studying. Let's study hard and kill it in Dec!

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 am

Last edited by peppermint on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BJS

Postby BJS » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:19 am

Dirigo wrote:
splittingheadache wrote:BTW, Dirigo can you please explain something about the lower amount of students taking the recent LSAT administrations that you mentioned earlier?

Does it mean relatively lower numbers of really high (175+) scores, meaning that law schools will really want to take high scorers more, and gives a better shot for us splitters? Would it also mean potentially higher scholarship values more solely based on high LSAT scores, like splitter v. same lsat but at median GPA?

I've heard this has been going on for a cycle or two now, since I'm planning to apply next cycle, do you think this will continue?

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ministered
Here's the link if anyone is interested.

And yes. It means that there are fewer high scores. The test is equated, not curved (so we're really not competing against each other on December 6th) but the LSAC designs the tests so only about a certain percentage of takers will scores above a 170. With less takers, but the same target percentage, less people will achieve that score.

And splitters are having a lot of success in the recent application cycles. A high LSAT can carry you further than ever before. There are tons of people out there with stellar GPAs, but high LSAT scores are few and far between.

I expect this current cycles to have less applicants than the last cycle, but there's no telling the future. Even if the drop stabilizes, you'll still have way more opportunities than you would have if you applied just five years ago.

An important distinction to this is that more 170+ scorers are applying even as the rest of the applicant pool is decreasing - 170-174 applicants were up 7.5% and 175-180 were up 7.6%. Fewer people are coming out of the LSAT with the higher scores, certainly, but a higher percentage of them are applying versus previous years.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:55 am

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:33 pm

1Lin2015 wrote:Checking in!

I was registered to take Sept, but I feel like I haven't peaked yet. After lurking on the September thread for a while, I think this can help a lot with the studying. Let's study hard and kill it in Dec!

U didn't have to lurk we woulda let u post

splittingheadache

Postby splittingheadache » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:59 pm

BJS wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
splittingheadache wrote:BTW, Dirigo can you please explain something about the lower amount of students taking the recent LSAT administrations that you mentioned earlier?

Does it mean relatively lower numbers of really high (175+) scores, meaning that law schools will really want to take high scorers more, and gives a better shot for us splitters? Would it also mean potentially higher scholarship values more solely based on high LSAT scores, like splitter v. same lsat but at median GPA?

I've heard this has been going on for a cycle or two now, since I'm planning to apply next cycle, do you think this will continue?

http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/data/ ... ministered
Here's the link if anyone is interested.

And yes. It means that there are fewer high scores. The test is equated, not curved (so we're really not competing against each other on December 6th) but the LSAC designs the tests so only about a certain percentage of takers will scores above a 170. With less takers, but the same target percentage, less people will achieve that score.

And splitters are having a lot of success in the recent application cycles. A high LSAT can carry you further than ever before. There are tons of people out there with stellar GPAs, but high LSAT scores are few and far between.

I expect this current cycles to have less applicants than the last cycle, but there's no telling the future. Even if the drop stabilizes, you'll still have way more opportunities than you would have if you applied just five years ago.

An important distinction to this is that more 170+ scorers are applying even as the rest of the applicant pool is decreasing - 170-174 applicants were up 7.5% and 175-180 were up 7.6%. Fewer people are coming out of the LSAT with the higher scores, certainly, but a higher percentage of them are applying versus previous years.

Thanks you two!

splittingheadache

Postby splittingheadache » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:00 pm

welcome :D

splittingheadache

Postby splittingheadache » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:03 pm

peppermint wrote:Finally finished the LSAT Trainer! Now I have to tighten up LG & then just focus on drilling everything. I don't think I'm ready to start taking any PT's anytime soon. On the bright side, I haven't been having any trouble with RC so yay :)

Has anyone here read Manhattan LG for grouping games? I've read the LG Bible but I feel like it's not enough for some of the more advanced game types.

Peppermint, I've read both for LG and read the sections in the LSAT Trainer as well. TBH, I don't remember much separating MH and PS other than MH's relative ordering is much better. Both are SOLID books.

What exactly is your weakness in grouping groups? Hybrid (grouping + linear), in/out grouping?

1Lin2015

Postby 1Lin2015 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

U didn't have to lurk we woulda let u post

More lurking by choice/habit. Thanks for the much needed approval though, colonel. Just kidding.

In all seriousness though, your guys thread convinced me of the value of having people to talk to about this test :)

1Lin2015

Postby 1Lin2015 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:22 pm

splittingheadache wrote:

welcome :D

Thanks! :)

peppermint

Postby peppermint » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Last edited by peppermint on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colonel_funkadunk

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:35 pm

smccgrey wrote:I just lurked December and it would appear that The Colonel is our Official Ambassador to the December Thread

Just a heads up.

Taking all q's. LSAT OR NOT.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:50 pm

splittingheadache

Postby splittingheadache » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Dirigo wrote:-1 on PT 40 LG.
That miscellaneous plane game threw me for a loop, but I just powered through it. Made a silly mistake on it. Should have slowed down a bit on it but I wanted to leave enough time for the fourth game. Ended up flying through the fourth game and went back to the third game to check answers but unfortunately I didn't check the one question I missed.
Such is life.

So in the past several days I've drilled LG sections (timed) from PT's 21-40. Wrote down the 6 or 7 sections I had most trouble with and am going to redo those in the next few days while I also finish up some LR drilling.

80 days left. :shock: Time is going too fast, or I'm just being too lazy. Probably both.

Dirigo, 40 is my most recent PT as well and I also had -1 on the LG section. SAME issue with the plane game, the first soup/stew recipe thing was a game that was already used in either PS or MH. Yet it wasn't like "hey, I know this" easy. Remembered that the airlines question was constantly listed on various websites as one of the toughest LG game ever, I read it, decided it was kinda weird, and went to the last game which was super easy.

My breakdown timing:
1 game: 6 minutes
2 game: 9 minutes
3 game: 13 minutes * to be completely honest, 35 minutes was up and I gave myself like 2-3 seconds to change my answer on #16, my original answer was right but it was a complete guess, and I guess this wrong answer nullifies a bit the fact that I gave myself a few extra seconds?
4 game: 7 minutes

For the third game, I totally drew my diagram just connecting each element with each other (they looked like squares), and did not think to do it in circular fashion. When I review these miscellaneous game types with 7sage (this, the trade reps at a table WHICH I LOVE done it like 8 times probably already, and that really crappy subway lines/stops question), given that one has drilled like mad, I think if one is really stuck on how to diagram a game that one knows is probably weird/not fit in any other category/miscellaneous, try arranging elements/diagramming in a circle. For some reason, my default way of diagramming anything is linear/box like. But sometimes circle makes things SO clear and easier to organize/understand the rules. Again, this is given that you've drilled enough to be able to automatically be able to realize what the category of the game is, what the best way to diagram is, and what alternative ways of visualizing the game one can have if traditional ways don't work/the game is not a traditional game that can be categorized.

To think that as you are reading the scenario and rules, you have to be able to make judgements on how to proceed in just the opening seconds of the game is really impressive given how many of us start LG without even knowing what we are reading.

JY on 7sage also noted for this airlines game that there is this in/out method of completing this game which nauseates me.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”